• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Budget (I know, I know) thermal

mebreakrock

Private
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2022
Idaho
I am a peasant. I know I'm looking at the wrong hobby but I would still appreciate any suggestions for thermal monoculars $4,500 or less that are not chinesium garbage that will break in 2 years. I am currently looking at the iRay MH25 640 mini. My use case is scanning for trespassers on my property (I've been having issues with this) at relatively close ranges (about 200 yards) and a secondary use would be to ID Coyotes. I don't necessarily need to be able to helmet mount it. I know absolutely nothing about thermal other than my wallet is gonna hurt.

I am a peasant. I know I'm looking at the wrong hobby but I would still appreciate any suggestions for thermal monoculars $4,500 or less that are not chinesium garbage that will break in 2 years. I am currently looking at the iRay MH25 640 mini. My use case is scanning for trespassers on my property (I've been having issues with this) at relatively close ranges (about 200 yards) and a secondary use would be to ID Coyotes. I don't necessarily need to be able to helmet mount it. I know absolutely nothing about thermal other than my wallet is gonna hurt.
Contact these guys and plead your case.
They do have some things with minor defects / demo's / returns that will not effect the quality of what you are viewing.
My dealings with them have been good, not cheap.

Reactions: mebreakrock
Contact these guys and plead your case.
They do have some things with minor defects / demo's / returns that will not effect the quality of what you are viewing.
My dealings with them have been good, not cheap.

Thanks for the advice man will do

I love the Bering Super Yoter C so far. It can scan or act as a clip on in front of an LPVO.
No internal recording if that matters, otherwise seems to be one of the top choices. Used but “like new” for $4K or less in the PX. Good luck 🍻

I’ve seen 640px Flir (non-Chinesium) monos sell for $2K in like new condition. That’s all you need for a short range spotter.

Nox is great, but pricey, as you already know.

If I was going to buy an MH25 (Chinesium), I’d spend a little more and get the RH25. It crushes the MH. Absolutely crushes it.

Steiner S35 (Chinesium/Euro hybrid) while intended for weapon use, would make a great spotter.

Lots of Halos and Halo-LRs (US made) on the market for under $5K with years left on warranty.

I have a spare Trijicon UTM-x still under factory warranty if you wanna trade for a kidney. You have two.

Or you could just stop being poor.

I’ve seen 640px Flir (non-Chinesium) monos sell for $2K in like new condition. That’s all you need for a short range spotter.

If I was going to buy an MH25 (Chinesium), I’d spend a little more and get the RH25. It crushes the MH. Absolutely crushes it.

Steiner S35 (Chinesium/Euro hybrid) while intended for weapon use, would make a great spotter.

Lots of Halos and Halo-LRs (US made) on the market for under $5K with years left on warranty.

I have a spare Trijicon UTM-x still under factory warranty if you wanna trade for a kidney. You have two.

Things changed at FLIR after they were sold...
Waiting for being "poor" to become trendy............ A lot of people are boarding the Poor Bus and don't even know it.
............Well, somebody told us Wall Street fell
But we were so poor that we couldn't tell
Cotton was short and the weeds were tall
But Mr. Roosevelt's gonna save us all...............

The Bering Optics Phenom is in the lower 3K range and is 640, 12µm with a 4-year warranty. The image is going to be very good. It has a fairly generous 13°FOV but has enough image quality and clarity that you can PID coyotes at range. Other options to consider if you may want a dual scope/scanner would be a Vibe25 or 35 in the low to mid 2K range or the SY25 or SY35 in the upper 3-4K range. In my opinion, I wouldn't recommend the Yoter C as already mentioned because as a scanner, the 4x base mag is a lot. It would work well as a hog scanner to ID at extreme range and then clip on and go hunt but not what you described. However, the smaller FOV would not be the best choice for general scanning needs.

The NOX as already mentioned would be nice, but is out of your price range. The Pulsar Helion 2 XP50 would be another option.

I am a peasant. I know I'm looking at the wrong hobby but I would still appreciate any suggestions for thermal monoculars $4,500 or less that are not chinesium garbage that will break in 2 years. I am currently looking at the iRay MH25 640 mini. My use case is scanning for trespassers on my property (I've been having issues with this) at relatively close ranges (about 200 yards) and a secondary use would be to ID Coyotes. I don't necessarily need to be able to helmet mount it. I know absolutely nothing about thermal other than my wallet is gonna hurt. thermal drone, so you can spot them from afar and not worry about confrontation.
Make an offer on this and no need to worry about confronting said trespassers, just drop a load of skunk scent with fluorescent marking dye on their vehicle using the sky hook from the comfort of your living room and let the cops deal with them.
They'll be easy to spot and smell.
Drone

Thanks
The Bering Optics Phenom is in the lower 3K range and is 640, 12µm with a 4-year warranty. The image is going to be very good. It has a fairly generous 13°FOV but has enough image quality and clarity that you can PID coyotes at range. Other options to consider if you may want a dual scope/scanner would be a Vibe25 or 35 in the low to mid 2K range or the SY25 or SY35 in the upper 3-4K range. In my opinion, I wouldn't recommend the Yoter C as already mentioned because as a scanner, the 4x base mag is a lot. It would work well as a hog scanner to ID at extreme range and then clip on and go hunt but not what you described. However, the smaller FOV would not be the best choice for general scanning needs.

The NOX as already mentioned would be nice, but is out of your price range. The Pulsar Helion 2 XP50 would be another option.
Thanks I'm trying my best to find a used NOX for closer to 5k but the warranty on the phenom is also attractive to me for the price and I'm considering the Halo as well

You pay a premium for helmet mount scanner, if you are willing to do handheld, with a SH discount the Steiner H35 is well under $3k.

Damn I forgot the old stop being poor trick. Works every time. In all seriousness I'm working on it lol and thanks for the info.

Reactions: TheHorta

By the way you seem to be pretty into this hobby so I thought I'd ask if you would have any reservations about putting the NOX on a SCAR-17? They can be a bit rough on optics for a .308 but for 6K and a .308 rating I figure it should be alright?

By the way you seem to be pretty into this hobby so I thought I'd ask if you would have any reservations about putting the NOX on a SCAR-17? They can be a bit rough on optics for a .308 but for 6K and a .308 rating I figure it should be alright?

I wouldn’t put a brick on a SCAR, unless I wanted to break it.

Don't put it on a SCAR.

Reactions: NateSavannah
Here is a great deal on a Halo:
He dropped price to $4k

Just ordered and i'm giddy with excitement. I'll likely be out in the woods all night for a week lol
You'll be surprised how handy a decent thermal is, and not just for hunting/surveillance.

Recently had all the windows replaced on the house. Having a thermal was an easy way to see where they missed a seal, or if the frame wasn't fitting tightly.

Ever need to know where your ducting for your heat and A/C are run? Just turn it on, and then get out your thermal.

Locate sheet rock screws under the paper/mud?

There are endless uses...

You'll be surprised how handy a decent thermal is, and not just for hunting/surveillance.

Recently had all the windows replaced on the house. Having a thermal was an easy way to see where they missed a seal, or if the frame wasn't fitting tightly.

Ever need to know where your ducting for your heat and A/C are run? Just turn it on, and then get out your thermal.

Locate sheet rock screws under the paper/mud?

There are endless uses...
That's pretty cool I've got a lot of projects that could be good excuses to break it out. Bigfoot won't stand a chance either the smug SOB.