• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Budget rangefinder?

BLJ

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2020
Something that will be accurate to 5-600 and wont break the bank? $100-$150.

I strongly recommend getting an illuminated display. The black display units are typically a lot cheaper but they are useless on anything but a light object during bright light. Dawn and dusk you may as well just not bother.

Vortex has the best warranty, period when it comes to rangefinders. They extend their regular warranty to their electronics, which I dont think any other company does. After Vortex, I would look at Leupold since they typically have the best laser beam dispersion in the low-mid tier price range which usually equates to better accuracy and readings at maximum rated and beyond ranges. Sig, Nikon and Bushnell follow in that order for me.

Reactions: knuckleballz
Something that will be accurate to 5-600 and wont break the bank? $100-$150.

Just picked up an Athlon 1200Y from @gr8fuldoug and team at Camera Land. Was ordering a set of Meopta B1 Plus 10x42 binos (superb BTW) and could not resist adding it to the cart. A very affordable but nice unit. Can range flat surfaces out to 1000m (tested today) and at least over short ranges is accurate (also tested today against a Bosch laser measure). I'll be using it for .22LR so good enough for that purpose. The pouch is cheaply made as you would expect but that is easily fixed with an order to Marsupial Gear.

Funny how I can click a thread out of curiosity and then get jealous that someone just bought the binos that I want.

Reactions: RonSwanson
I had a Leupold RX-650 that fits the bill. worked great

This works great. Lifetime warranty on the glass and body. “Nikon No Fault” policy. I agree with nothing for $100 will work well.

If you can pay a little more. Excellent choice.

Found a vortex 850. Going to give it a go. Thanks for all the info.

I agree with some of the above statements... Your budget of $100-$150 is only going to buy you headaches... Might be ok for a under 100 yard bow hunting rangefinder.... But need to save a bit longer and up your budget to get what you need ....