• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing "budget" rem 700 build

john_1182

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 11, 2009
australia, victoria
ok i have a friend (yes just one) and he as seen my tikka T3 super varmint and how it can shoot and has asked me to build up a parts list for a varmint/ target .308 for him in remington and for all under $2500

please tell me what you think (please note all prices are in Australian $$$)

rifle: - .308 Remington 700 SPS Varmint (26" heavy barel)
$1315 + free shipping
(http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_700/model_700_SPS_varmint.asp )

scope: - Nikko stirling Nighteater 6-24x56 30mm LRX - (no side wheel thing)
$355 + shipping
(i have the 16X and find it fine for accurate shooting to 1000 yards)
( http://www.nikkostirling.com/Content/PlatinumNighteater/Nighteater.htm )

Base: - Nightforce 1 piece steel rem 700 20MOA
$199 + shipping
( http://www.nvt.com.au/Rifle-scopes/Nightforce-Rifle-scopes/Nightforce-1-piece-steel-base-sets/ )

Rings: - Nightforce Solid Steel Mil Spec. HIGH ring set 1.125
$249 + shipping
(http://www.nvt.com.au/Rifle-scopes/Nightforce-Rifle-scopes/Nightforce-Steel-Rings/)

all for $2,118 minus shipping and my cut for doing the leg work :p

also he is looking at replacing the barrel and stock in time to come

Re: "budget" rem 700 build

Wow, that's about double what you can get an SPS for here in the states. I didn't know rifles were that much higher in Australia. All the other items are a little higher but not that far off. I don't have any experience with Nikko scopes but everything else sounds like a good start. Good luck with the build.

I agree with the other poster, save on the mount and get better optics. EGW makes a very good 20 MOA Mount for less than a 1/3 that cost.

Those rings are too high unless you are restocking the rifle with a stock that has an adjustable cheekpiece. Look for something in the .885 size.

That's funny... Every time I do "favors" for the very few friends I do have, I end up putting more into it than they paid for. And my cut is usually part of a pizza or a hunting trip on them. Just me personally, I never try to make money off of the few friends I do have. But that's just me.

I have an EGW 20 MOA base and Burris XTR rings on my SPS, they seem to be well made with no problems so far. I researched them quite a bit and they seemed like the best value for me. The value search also led me to the B&C light tactical stock, the only negative on the SPS in my eyes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor N TN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's funny... Every time I do "favors" for the very few friends I do have, I end up putting more into it than they paid for. And my cut is usually part of a pizza or a hunting trip on them. Just me personally, I never try to make money off of the few friends I do have. But that's just me. </div></div>

It's not just you Victor. I usually go over budget as well but my friends have never known.

Gees, that is a lot for the SPS-V. They are less than half of that here in the States.

I will add my 2 cents in and say spend the most you can on the glass.

I 3rd it.

An EGW base and a decent set of warne rings will cut 300 or so dollars off your base price and still be more than adequate for the job.

Put that 300 towards glass and your in leupold mark 4 territory.

I have the same rifle in a different stock. It shoots great but is pretty front heavy. If all your doing is shooting prone itll be fine but for standing shots and others itll be akward.

I'm planning on getting mine chopped down to 20 or 21"

Remington also offers there sps tactical in a 20" barrell. Retails for about 550 here in the states. Not sure about Austraila.

Is it possible to import used rifles from the States? You'd probaby save a ton.

rifles here are not the only thing deathly over priced, glass is here too

leoupold mark 4's $1800 > $2100
leoupold mark 3's $800 > $1100

bushnell 4200's $650 > $1000

also after a quick search i cant find EGW bases here is OZ

as for importing rifles im asuming its either a no-no or very hard to do for a no-dealer, i ordered a stock that that was "restricted" and took me 6 months of paperwork to get the thiung sent back, ill never do that again

yep i i can get a used trade in 700 p for around the 450 mark here.that kinda sucks foryou.i would consider moving.but i bet you have some awsome places to shoot where you are at.

now he is thinking of changing his mind on the rifle.. lol to a tikka t3 super varmint like mine, come with adjustiable stock and picitiny rail and thats only $400 more then the remy, and minus the $200 on the rail he wont need its only a extra $200 and in my opinion for a lot better rifle

as for the shooting down here, ilove it, im in victoria (south east aus) and i live ona dairy farm, so i have my own lil hill and 1,000 yard range
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor N TN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's funny... Every time I do "favors" for the very few friends I do have, I end up putting more into it than they paid for. And my cut is usually part of a pizza or a hunting trip on them. Just me personally, I never try to make money off of the few friends I do have. But that's just me. </div></div>

Yeah, you are hard on your friends.:D I am out of school 2nd week of November. I feel a road trip in the works. Shirley asked about you and Pat a couple of days ago.

As far as the glass, find out if you can have the Super Snipers imported and the cost on that. Its by far one of the best starter scopes and is very reliable. I trust mine over my Mk 4 any day. Both the EGW base and Super snipers can be found at SWFA.com

Dont know how importing works but I would find a friend in the states and have that crap bought here then shipped back if possible.

Probably save you 50 to 60 percent