• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Budget Rifle

Beef82

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2011
NC
So my low dollar rifle, its not a build, everthing bolted on, checks in around $1350, not as budget as I thought but I spread it out overtime.
Started like this, .308 SPS-V, borrowed b-square base, weaver? rings, and redfield 4-12X
700sps308wredfield.jpg

Over eight months gained a Timney 510, Weaver 20MOA rail, TPS rings, a Millet 4-16X, B&C light tactical, Versa-pod, flush cups, duracoat and krylon
dscn0675wg.jpg

Shoots about like this, TL 4 150gr Hornadys into 1.08" @ 100yds (load testing), TR 4 168gr Amaxs into 1.6" @ 200yds, LL 3 168gr Amaxs into .7" @ 100yds, LR 3 168gr Amaxs into .71" @ 100yds. I've seen the occasional .3 @ 100 but its an exception. Will it run with the high dollar builds, I doubt it, but it got me out shooting without going broke.
dscn0670q.jpg

Eventually, the optic will be upgraded, and I may have the action trued and barrel set back, but I'll probably shoot it out first and have it replaced.
What do you guys think of it?

Re: Budget Rifle

Nice job, try to resist the rifle ADHD and shoot it. At this time I am just about in the same boat. I have a SPS-T 1:12, B&C M40, Timney, Weaver 3-10x40 about the same price tag. The great thing is buying a rifle within your means and gaining the satisfaction of nice groups, equal or better than some of the other folks on the line.
Personally, I am just gonna put my money away little-by-little and then just get a nice GAP and S&B. By that time, I would have shot my current barrel out.

Now if I can only find a way to make it tax deductible
smile.gif

BTW, were those handloads?

Thanks.
They are handloads. The 150s were a hunting load I didn't settle on. 168 Amaxs shoot good over 44gr Varget w CCI primer or 44gr R15 w WLR primer @ mag length. I have not had much success with Sierras, but haven't put much time in them. Still trying to get Hornady 178 BTHPs to shoot sub MOA. 155gr and lighter bullets impact 3-4MOA to the right, so I gave up on them.
Factory Hornady Match ammo, 155 Amax Palma, 168 Amax, and even 168 Amax Superformance, have all grouped well in this rifle, better than the groups in the picture, which are not the best I've done. FGMM 168 gave mediocre results when I tried it, could've been me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshotkyle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nice to see the average guy builds instead of the 4k plus rifles. keep up the good work beef. </div></div>

+1 Good to see!