• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Budget rimfires!

Bigbrotheretter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2010
Washington,
Couldnt find a thread of all these...
But anyways lets see your budget rimfires, not an instructions manual just some pictures of the rifles and some descriptions!
edit-And the prices

Re: Budget rimfires!

Marlin 882SSV 199.99
original stock, 0.00
Bic Pen Trigger 0.00
BSA 4-16 Mildot 79.99
Harris Bipod 39.99

$320 give or take, and it shoots very well.

4058303842_508b6cdd16.jpg

here's my son @ 4yo, getting used to looking thru the scope
DSC00245.JPG

4057565893_a4d762206d.jpg

30 gr Hornady Vmax @ 2200fps (estimated), 5 shots, .27"ctc @ 50 yards

norinco JW25- Same BRNO copy action as the JW15 but in a Mauser stock. 1/2" groups @50yds with Win Target plinking ammo. Barska 4x32, weaver see thru rings. total cost $230.
In the next couple of weeks It'll be sporting a Leapers bipod and Leapers 3-9x40 5th gen-trying to keep it all Chinese...

l_86c7662efcea433c9a658e1809d8e219.jpg

I'm going to throw in my Marlin 925 (.22LR) with Tasco 3-9x32 Scope, RockMount Bipod, and Allen Sling.

I've got about $262.00 invested in this rifle. Heck of it is, the only thing I have mounted on this rifle now is the Allen Sling as I really like shooting this rifle with the open iron sights it came with, and I really don't care to use the bipod anymore as I find utilizing the sling and shooting prone is a lot more rewarding for me. So throw out the extra's you see and I expect you'd have about $184.00 - $190.00 dollars in this fine rifle.
smile.gif

100_0526.jpg

as shown,
RIFLE...............$127.00
BIPOD.................39.97
B. GROUND CHECK........5.00
SCOPE.................69.97
RINGS................. 9.47
ULTRA BLACK KRYLON.... 4.44
STUDS (2 packs)....... 9.98
CHEEKPIECE+RAIL.......42.00
SLING.................16.97
BASES(USED AS RAILS)...6.49
"CHEAP ACCESSORIES
MATERIALS"............15.00
FEELER GUAGE "SHIMS"...3.00
TAX...................20.06

= $369.35

MKIIF046-1.jpg

Here is mine:
Savage MKII BV .22lr $275.00
Scope $70.00
Bipod $42.00
EGW 20MOA base on its way $46.00 shipped
Weaver High rings $15.00
Sling $18.00
Working on Anti-Cant, Etc.
23rwu8z.jpg

24yqsty.jpg

Thanks! All of you here have helped a lot. I appreciate it. Great bunch of Veterans here! I know more about automatic military weapons and arms than over-the-counter prescribed firearms. I am very glad to have found a great board. TP's builds were truly helpful! Slight resembly there... THIS IS REALLY COOL STUFF, AFTER SPRING IT'LL BE TIME FOR A 700!

This thread could be a topic all of its own. Lots of good values out there, and lots of good ideas and workmanship in taking a budget rimfire to the next level.

Savage MKIIF, used, with 8X hunter scope, $150 12 years ago.
Nine more 10rd Savage factory magazines at WW, maybe $100.
Tasco 1" Rimfire medium height rings for grooved receiver, always some on the bench.
Tasco VAR624X42M 6-24x42 MilDot scope, $79.95 NIB.
Tripod made from 12" lengths of 1/2" wooden dowel and paracord, always, etc.
Rear bag, old sock, one shoelace, plastic bag liner, filled with airsoft pellets, I have no idea, but cheaper 'n heck.

Greg

Since we are talking budget, this is my lowest priced rimfire. Marlin model 25.

Rifle $20 at old lady garage sale
Supplies $20 to bring back to life
Rings $15 Millet I believe
Scope $30 2-7 Cabelas bought second hand
Extra mag $12 Midway sale
---------------------------------------------
Total $97.00

This rifle shoots consistent 1.25- 1.5" groups at 100 yds from prone. It's no suprise that it's my favorite and gets the most use.

PICT0076.jpg

Could very well be the deal of the century!
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">as shown,
RIFLE...............$127.00
BIPOD.................39.97
B. GROUND CHECK........5.00
SCOPE.................69.97
RINGS................. 9.47
ULTRA BLACK KRYLON.... 4.44
STUDS (2 packs)....... 9.98
CHEEKPIECE+RAIL.......42.00
SLING.................16.97
BASES(USED AS RAILS)...6.49
"CHEAP ACCESSORIES
MATERIALS"............15.00
FEELER GUAGE "SHIMS"...3.00
TAX...................20.06

= $369.35

MKIIF046-1.jpg
</div></div>

Sorry but I dont know whats on the market for the 22lr's so this might be a dumb question but is that a factory stock and is it floated? I like it. I know you mounted the cheek piece and rail.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joe Martin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Could very well be the deal of the century!
smile.gif
</div></div>

Actually, my cousin bought it at the garage sale. He asked me to clean it up for him. When he found out how much time I put into it, he told me to keep it. So I am only into it for 77 bucks. It's not the best deal I've gotten though, that's a story for another time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: escapeVelocity</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Sorry but I dont know whats on the market for the 22lr's so this might be a dumb question but is that a factory stock and is it floated? I like it. I know you mounted the cheek piece and rail. </div></div>

There's a full writeup on TP's 22 here someplace, but that stock is a "slightly" modified factory stock. one which has me itching to fire up the dremel and drill. I like it alot as well
smile.gif

i thought it was a modified, yea I will look for the thread if he posted it, it looks like its worth the work to put into it.

I was browsing the local trade papers. Savage has released a Man sized heavy barreled 93 for like $360 w/ a pic rail already mounted. The stock looks like a Manners.

OBTW, I run a Remmy 513T w/ a cheap 20 something X BSA and drill raggedy .4" holes at 50 and some days at 100.

Cheers,

Doc

Savage/Stevens 954 semiauto....$119 a few years ago
Centerpoint 4-16x40............$70
Leapers UTG bipod..............$20
Leapers 3/8 to 5/8 adapter.....$7
Weaver quad lock rings.........$7

l_3755ad4ec732446eac2a8b1ab95d3419.jpg

Ruger 10-22 <span style="font-weight: bold">190.00</span>
Mueller APV 4.5-14 <span style="font-weight: bold">115.00</span>
CPC Mount <span style="font-weight: bold">30.00</span>
Trigger Parts <span style="font-weight: bold">60.00</span>
Trigger Job <span style="font-weight: bold">Daughter bartered For</span>
Paint <span style="font-weight: bold">Free</span>
Set barrel back to eliminate free bore <span style="font-weight: bold">Free</span>
Reshape stock <span style="font-weight: bold">Free</span>
Rings <span style="font-weight: bold">Free</span>
Machine front and rear sight off <span style="font-weight: bold">Free</span>

10-22_with_scope.jpg

And it shoots

Kays_Group.JPG

Michael,
You traded your daughter for a trigger job??? That's just wrong bro.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dlc356</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Michael,
You traded your daughter for a trigger job??? That's just wrong bro. </div></div>

No , She traded the Gunsmith her valuable labor for a trigger job . Its the circle of life .

Splendid stuff!

Top Predator:

Thanks so much for the time and work you put into your how-to post with your Savage MII-F project! Very helpful considering I'm embarking upon my own budget tactical trainer project as we speak. Picking up a Savage Mark II-FV from Gander Mountain sometime mid-week. Hopefully be putting some of your ideas to use. I'm about half way through your posts now. Enjoying it immensely.

By the way, I have use the same rifle you modified in your series for several years...used that rifle and a Bushnell "Custom 22" 2-7x18mm scope shooting CCI CB caps to kill a shameful amount of squirrels on the edge of town the fall I turned 16. lol. Good memories.

Great ideas here guys. Glad I found this place.

Those are some nice rimfires! Glad this thread is getting some attention!
Michael N- you did a very nice job on that stock! Your daughter must a loved it!
forest,

Built up a 10/22 for my kids to shoot - $100 donor rifle from a pawn shop, worked on the stock myself ($20 worth of supplies and beer), TacSol barrel ($150), KIDD extended mag release because I like the look and function of the lever style, Simmons 3-9x40 scope. Accurate enough with CCI Blazer, light enough (6lbs loaded w/ bipod, 5lbs w/o 'pod) for my kids to shoot.

My other deal is I traded a very nice Yugo SKS I bought for $130 for a near new Savage Mk II BTV

My trainer .22 is a used 10/22 with Tech Sights, a refinished factory stock with one of those cheap plastic extensions replacing the plastic buttplate, an M1917 Enfield rear sling swivel, an M14 front sling swivel and a GI websling.

10/22 $125
GI sling $12
M14 front swivel Free
M1917 rear swivel $10
Tech Sights $65
butt extension $12
refinishing my time plus left over sandpaper and stain from who knows what job?
$214 if my math is correct

Shoots about 5/8" groups for 10 shots at 25 meters.

basic 10/22 $120 shipped (Gunbroker)
threaded and MKII front sight added $40 IIRC
small can of Minwax Dark Walnut for stock $4.89
matte black Krylon for metal $3.90

$168.79 (I already had the sandpaper, can, and birdcage fh I'm using for a thread protector)...

First I tried Boiled Linseed Oil, not thinking of how light colored birch is. I had a can of Early American Walnut but it wasn't quite dark enough either so I splurged on a can of stain.
IMG_1313.jpg

I ran out of daylight but here it is with the can.
IMG_1314.jpg

I still need to do some trigger work but it's not like I built it for shooting silhouette matches. It runs Agulla SuperExtra 40gr SS like a top.

Thanks man. I'm really pleased with the way it came out. IMO the matte black and walnut color works. I wish the stock had more grain but hey, what are you gonna do? With the Agulla's all you here is the action, the bullet impact, and cases hitting the ground (if it's concrete).

marlin 22.mag 822 $ ? (don't remember)
centerpoint scope $69.00
millet rings $25.00
shooters ridge bipod $40.00
rifle basix trigger $68.00
weaver polar cap lens covers $16.00
cheekpiece and rail $34.00
blot knob job $50.00

22MAGRFCPVIEWJPG.jpg

Hi TP, looks like you have some experience in this area. What would your suggestions be for a .22 trainer?

I'm very close at the moment to getting a Savage Mark II TR. However, I'm happy to put some work in myself to modifying whatever I buy in order to learn, save money and make it shoot better...so maybe I should start with something else?

I'm also considering a CZ (probably the 455, since it looks to be the way of the future, though i'm waiting for a HB/varmint version).

What about Marlin, hows that been shooting for you?

NOSTYLE- IMO the biggest deciding factor is budget and use (or abuse). if only interested in a 25 to 50 yard rifle, just about anything that goes bang will give you good results. 100 yards or more is where you start getting more finicky about the rifle.

for bolt actions my views are:

-keeping it .22lr for economy sake-

if it's just a range rifle (from the safe to the bench and back) and you plan on shooting serious competition, i like the idea of an anshutz, cooper, remington 40x, etc. which are a bit pricey, and feel a little guilty taking one of these beauties in the woods for hunting and getting all dinged up. in my view, it's kinda like taking a cadillac escalade to the mudbogs.

for a trainer that is going to see bench / fieldwork i'd go with something that is generally accurate, and doesn't have the guilt factor of scratching the stock. the savages and marlins fit well into this catagory. be prepared to purchase a replacement trigger for the non accutriggered savages and for the marlins. the trigger (rifle basix, sharp shooter supply) is worth the extra investment.

on the lower priced stuff i like the idea of a savage (as they have a good # of accessories / enhancements available) and have all types of configurations to choose from. marlins are good shooters also. i looked at the mossberg bolt actions, they seem a bit "chimsey", and i'm hearing alot of good stuff about the winchester wildcat. i had the oppurtunity to shoot a rem model 5 three days after i bought the rifle for the LOW BUDGET .22 TRAINER - start to "finish" threads, and that remington seemed to be a great shooting rifle with nice feel and look for the money and i had a "should've bought that" moment. but by buying the cheap assed walmart rifle, i've been able to "frankenstein" alot of stuff on it, and has made good practice for making modifications on my centerfires, without being too much in the hole if i "F" it up.

the savage tr and trr are neat looking rifles, no doubt about it. although i don't have one, i don't really see any fundamental PERFORMANCE enhancements put into the rifle that would take it above the current performance of a normal heavy barreled mkii that would jusltify it's price. (other than the comfort of the pistol gripped stock, which i think should have been made of synthetic than wood). so to each his own on that one.

i've shot the CZ's 452 varmint, and it seems that this is the rifle that bridges the gap between a low end .22 and a top shelf rimfire. very accurate (even with bulk ammo), has a nice look to it, and is mid priced. i too would probably wait to get a 455, but since the 452 is discontinued, you may be able to find or work a better deal on one.

i don't have any experience with the sako quad, but hear good thing about them also. i guy i see at the range uses a ruger 77/22 and gets great groups at 50 yards, but he doesn't shoot it past that distance, so i have no input at 100+ yards.

whatever you decide to get, i'd suggest putting a sloped moa base on it to make sure you don't lose scope adjustment past 150 yards. i'm really liking the rimfire technology 25 moa base.

optics-

as far as scopes go, i like the idea of matching up as closely to the one you have on the cnterfire. i like turrets for precise adjustments, side focus or at least adjustable objectives, a mildot reticle for ranging or used for holdovers, and mid to high variable magnifications (4-16 for hunting, 6-18, 6-24, or even higher for dedicated target rifle). again this is usually budget driven, but a clearer with more user friendly options you can afford usually pays off in the end with satisfaction. there's a TON of threads on the hide about scopes, use the search function to find out some good info on them.

semi auto -

i'm liking the 10/22 the most as it offers the most performance enhancements you can find. unlike all the ar-15 styled .22's out there, you can build up the 10/22 to be a ar trainer if you wish or go another direction. with the ar-15 .22 styled rifles, what you got is what you got, and that's ok if you want a dedicated ar trainer, but can't be reversed to have a more traditional stocked set up.

ammo-

whatever rifle you get, matching the ammo to the rifle is extrememly important. the wolf / sk, eley, and some models of the cci brands seem to be the universal baseline and seemingly produce the best performance out of the largest cross sections of rifles. however the cheap bulk stuff shoots good out of a few rifles, and can vary between 2 individual rifles of the same model and manufacturer. i'm presently hooked on aguila golden eagle match rifle ammo, as it's just short of the wolf /sk's performance through my mkii's at half the price. ='s twice the quality trigger time.

so be prepared to get in some range / trigger time to decide what ammo will give you the performance you want compared to the amount of money you are willing to pay for it. then buy a bunch of it and enjoy.

i'd even take a look at our monthly rimfire competitions (stickies at the top of the forum) to guage the performance of different people's rifles at different distances, using a particular ammo and optics setup.

my 2 cents that turned into $2.00, hope it helps.

Zastava CZ99 22 LR. Same as the Charles Daly Superior II, and the Remington Model 5.
Top rifle, cost $150, plus $35 for 4x scope, and $5 for rings.
Bottom rifle, cost $150 with 4x scope and rings.
Zastava22s.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: No Style</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice setup there SgtKope. Is that a Savage Mark II action? </div></div>

Thank you Sir. Yes it is.