• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Budget Shooting Comms

Beepy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2008
The Northwest Mountains
So I have been reading the threads on the nicer UHF/Ham setup with peltor headsets. Pretty nice but I dont think that we want to venture in the radio world of ham frequencies and similar. We were thinking maybe a cheaper radio, but keeping a higher quality headset would work for us. We usually are within 500 yards of each other, usually in line of site, or maybe just off. We just need to communicate over that shorter distance hands free. Thoughts? As you can tell by my post, I am a comm newbie. I can tell you how to cross clamp an aorta but now only the basics of radios.

Decide how far you want to talk. Ham will require a license which you will need to pass a test. It took me a weekend to study for the test. There is about 200 possible questions they can ask, but only 35 on the test. I used QRZ. Com for the practice test. They can change the order of the answers (a,b,c,d) but can not change the wording of the questions and answers.

Most handheld radios will cost a few hundred dollars. With my handheld I was able to reach about 5 miles without a repeater. If you shoot in the mountains there will be dead spots. 6 meter works better for hills (not mountains) but is less common than 2 meter. I would say about 95 percent of people use 2 meter for most of their local communications.

With a repeater I am able to talk almost anywhere in LA and Orange County. With a base radio in the HF band I have talked to Eastern Europe with 100 watts. (Handhelds run 5 watts)

Last edited:
So I have been reading the threads on the nicer UHF/Ham setup with peltor headsets. Pretty nice but I dont think that we want to venture in the radio world of ham frequencies and similar. We were thinking maybe a cheaper radio, but keeping a higher quality headset would work for us. We usually are within 500 yards of each other, usually in line of site, or maybe just off. We just need to communicate over that shorter distance hands free. Thoughts? As you can tell by my post, I am a comm newbie. I can tell you how to cross clamp an aorta but now only the basics of radios.

Where did you find the threads you mention? I too am looking for some non ham radios to use with my Comtacs. I've googled radio to use with peltor but didn't really come up with anything. I saw a guy mention motorolla gp radios but nothing about how it was hooked up. I just bought the Comtacs without the boom mic or the ptt which may work out good for me because it looks like you need a ptt specific to your radio. I may call Peltor on Tuesday. If you come up with any info, please report here and ill do the same.

I second the Baofeng UV5R. I have one of them that I torture tested, and they are very durable. You can actually get them for about $40 shipped on Amazon. I would recommend getting a better antenna, and maybe an extended battery. The radio can actually operate on the GMRS bands, although you are technically not allowed to do so...

Get a pair of these Standard Horizon HX370S Handheld VHF Radio-92489 - Gander Mountain and program for MURS frequencies (unlicensed). You can usually pick them up for <strike>$99.00</strike> $109.00 with a $20.00 off coupon. Program them yourself with a free download, Check out the HX 370 forum on Yahoo for instructions and tips. They are well built, ultra reliable, and come with an accessory set that would darn-near equal the cost of the radio if purchased separately. FYI: Standard Horizon is the Marine-Band division of Yaesu, a very popular and well respected producer of HAM radios.

Last edited:
I have a Peltor Tactical Sport headset. Is there some way possible to connect this radio to my headset? Is it possible to also set up a mic as well?

I second the Baofeng UV5R. I have one of them that I torture tested, and they are very durable. You can actually get them for about $40 shipped on Amazon. I would recommend getting a better antenna, and maybe an extended battery. The radio can actually operate on the GMRS bands, although you are technically not allowed to do so...

Another for the uv5r plus. I recently purchased a couple and they are really amazing for the price point. Very rugged, compact and the plus comes now with an upgraded antenna and easier to program. Simply put I think it's the absolute best bang for the buck to come along in a while.

For anyone with the MSA Sordin Supreme Pro-x , I just spoke with a rep who said there will be a conversion kit becoming availble this weekend for about 200$ and can convert them into a comms headset. I do not know the exact specs but it sounds pretty darn neat. I will be looking into them or maybe just selling mine in general and getting a new set. who knows...

For anyone with the MSA Sordin Supreme Pro-x , I just spoke with a rep who said there will be a conversion kit becoming availble this weekend for about 200$ and can convert them into a comms headset. I do not know the exact specs but it sounds pretty darn neat. I will be looking into them or maybe just selling mine in general and getting a new set. who knows...

That's good to know, thanks for the heads up.

Sent 2700 feet per second.