• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Budget Shooting Thread

Dougie308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 28, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I lurked on the site for a while an commented once in a while when I had something to add and I have noticed a tendency to recommend the best equipment when one of the "What should I buy?" posts come up and I understand the reasoning. However, I am sure that there are many out there like me who no longer shoot competition or just shoot for shits giggles that either can't afford or do not wish to spend the big bucks on their hobby. With this in mond I start this thread to encourage folks to offer up there ideas and experiences for shooting on a budget. I have placed this in the Equipment category, but I'm sure we could sneak in a comment or two about rifles and optics if need be as well.

I'll start with a couple of my experiences.

My AO is about 45 acres of combination Ozark hills and river bottom on the Black River in Southern Missouri. For those of you familiar with the region you know that this can be fairly rough territory. So while I am not as gung ho as I used to be, my stuff needs to at least be able to hold up to the environment. So when I decided to starting hunting from a tripod I knew I was going to need something that would adjust to uneven ground, hold my 15 pound rifle and not cost me a ton. So, as any thinking adult cheapskate I went to the hardware store to see what they had that would allow me to make my own stuff on the cheap. Well, although I am the son and husband of an engineer, I am not so skilled myself. After realizing that I went to the Ebay where I found a heavy duty tripod with a max load of 17 pounds fully adjustable legs for $50. I added a Triclawps saddle. And now I'm in business.

So, anyone want to share some budget concious ideas they have come up with?

Once upon a time there was a Hide member who used a toilet paper roll as a scope. Not sure how well it worked for him though..

To be honest, I've been pissed at myself on numerous occasions for wasting the money going a budget route, only to end up getting what I should have in the first place. All the while, with the loss I took selling the budget stuff, I actually end up spending more money for the same stuff in the long run.

That said, before I got the guts to throw down $200 on my first atlas bipod, I just ran off of my pack for several months. It worked fine and I didn't have to spend any additional money.

I understand that if you're shooting for prizes or even in serious competition with yourself there is value in getting better stuff. In fact I spend bigger money on things my safety or my life might depend on in the woods (I am often three miles from the nearest road). When your butt depends on it cheap shit ain't smart. But if you're just messing around there may be a less expensive way of doing things. I guess if you have the extra cash and just want whatever it is go for it though.

I got a camera tripod for free somewhere, I cut a piece of pvc in half, drilled it out and bolted it onto the tripod. I then glued a piece of foam on the trough of the pvc.
i lay my rifle in there and shoot away. Cost me little of nothing, but it is just a range toy for when I'm sitting on the bench. I also have shooting sticks, and Atlas bipods.

Just a couple I can think of off the top of my head

-buy used
-pick up your brass even if you don’t reload
-purchase ammo in bulk, online, and with discounts

Once upon a time there was a Hide member who used a toilet paper roll as a scope. Not sure how well it worked for him though..

Sometimes I shoot so shitty, I should have a roll of toilet paper wired to my scope.

Shoot an inexpensive caliber the majority of the time. 223 is a good option there, so is 308.

Find extra work to make a few bucks that you can add to the pot for the expensive stuff.

Eat ramen, drink water.

To be honest, I've been pissed at myself on numerous occasions for wasting the money going a budget route, only to end up getting what I should have in the first place. All the while, with the loss I took selling the budget stuff, I actually end up spending more money for the same stuff in the long run.

That said, before I got the guts to throw down $200 on my first atlas bipod, I just ran off of my pack for several months. It worked fine and I didn't have to spend any additional money.

I’m the same way. I know myself and know that for the most part and if I want the best and then “settle” I’ll end up with the best eventually and it costing me quite a bit more by having to sell the other items item at a loss first.