• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Budget spotting scope for 400 yards and under use

Heronion

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 22, 2010
Houghton, Michigan
Hello, gents. I am finding myself needing a spotting scope. Being a poor college student, I'd like to stick to a budget of under $200. Now, I know the [insanely awesome and expensive spotting scope]s will be much better than this. That is not the point. The point is, I can only afford to spend $200.

I need recommendations on spotting scopes that 1) are under $200 and 2) will be able to see .308 bullet holes in white paper at 400 yards (farthest target at my range).

If these criteria are not possible in a <$200 spotter, let me know. I just want to know if any of you own/have used one that meets these two criteria.

Also, I have a vast supply of used tripods/stands so if it does not come with one it is not a deal breaker to me.

Hit me with your knowledge!

Cheers,
Brian

Re: Budget spotting scope for 400 yards and under use

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zanshin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know you said under $200, but this is about $250 and seems to get decent reviews.

http://www.jarheadtop.com/KONUS.htm

I don't have personal experience with one though (I have a Kowa).

</div></div>

They also have the rent a scope option so if you decide to upgrade later. Maybe worth considering.

I recommend taking a look at the Bushnell Trophy 20-60x65mm .
This is a quality scope for a great price. I was able to see .223 holes at 200 yards with this model. I cant guarantee you will see holes at 400 yards, but it will get you close.
Also, +1 for the Konus spotting scope.

Chase B.

I need to save a macro to post this link as often as it comes up.

Read this and realize what the realities are. A spotter is a good thing, I'm in the market for one too, but don't expect miracles from any of them, especially on black targets.

There is no scope built whether spotting or telescope that will let you see bullet holes at 400 yards for only $200. Only the premium scopes that cost more than your budget allows can see holes at that distance...that is if environmental conditions are favorable. Buy cheap buy twice is what will happen. Be patient and save your money for a better scope, as it seems that one day you may want to be shooting further anyway.

I have a Barska 25-75 power id sell cheap. (I know.... Barska right?) The glass seems to be decent. I've used it out to 200 yards and it did fine. I know this isn't the for sale section but........... Anyway, its way inside your budget. PM if you want pics.

A Bushnell Spacemaster II 15-45x60 from the late 70's to early 80's. If the eyepiece is longer than an inch, it's the 15-45X, which you want.

These were considered one of the finest back in the pre-Kowa days. Very good glass, staked optics, metal construction. Find a nice one, and you've got a keeper. You won't find anything close to it in your budget range.

A to Z optics on e-bay is selling a Nikon ED 82mm 25-75x. I sent an offer for 1150 and got it....should arrive Monday. Hopefully it is not a fake.