• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Budget spotting scope

Andrew863

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2018
Russellville KY
I'm I'm the market for a budget spotting scope. I know the whole buy once cry once thing but this will only be used a few times a year. I would love to have one with a retical or one I can add a retical to but it's not a absolute must. The 3 I have been looking at is the Bushnell legend tactical 15-45X60, sightmark latitude tactical 15-45x60, both of those have reticals but also have been looking at the Hawke endurance HD 14-45x60. Let me know if there are any better options in this up to 600 price range or if u have tried any of the ones mentioned.

Reactions: devildog93
What are you actually using it for? PRS/NRL matches, spotting for buddies, looking at holes in paper or splashes on steel targets? Something else?

Use case matters a lot, especially in your budget range.

What are you actually using it for? PRS/NRL matches, spotting for buddies, looking at holes in paper or splashes on steel targets? Something else?

Use case matters a lot, especially in your budget range.
All of the above, I shoot a couple matches a year, most of the time shooting steel and spotting for friends.

All of the above, I shoot a couple matches a year, most of the time shooting steel and spotting for friends.

Then I'd say binos, not a spotter, even though it means giving up a reticle.

You'll see splash and motion better on steel, it's easier to read wind/mirage, and they're less fatiguing on your eyes.

I use the bushnell legend scope and think it works just fine. It has a decent reticle and sees pretty well out to 1000 yards, which is as far as I ever shoot. It exceeds my skill level at present and does the job. I do wish it had an angled eyepiece at times, but probably a nitpick on my part.

Last edited:
I have an leupold alpine bx2 and while not perfect, ca is a bit abnoxious, I’ve found it more than adequate for all my needs.

You'll see splash and motion better on steel, it's easier to read wind/mirage, and they're less fatiguing on your eyes.
I do shoot a 1 mile match every year that's the main reason I want a spotter over binos. I do plan to get some in the future.

I have the bushnell 15-45x it’s ok and the reticle is useful.
I think the best bang for the buck was the Celestron regal M2 but I believe they discontinued it. It used standard 1.25” eyepieces so if you wanted to you could upgrade to some high end options

unfortunately budget and spotter don’t go well together

I have the bushnell 15-45x it’s ok and the reticle is useful.
I think the best bang for the buck was the Celestron regal M2 but I believe they discontinued it. It used standard 1.25” eyepieces so if you wanted to you could upgrade to some high end options

unfortunately budget and spotter don’t go well together
I have found Celestron m2 around the 600 range. Does anyone make a retical eye price for them and what about a razor gen 1 or the new gen viper hd are they any good? One thing that makes it tuff, most stores don't carry many spotting scopes. Most rifle scopes I can find in the area or know someone that has one to look at spotting scopes are a little harder to find.

If I do consider binos. What's out there in the 600 range and what power?

I have found Celestron m2 around the 600 range. Does anyone make a retical eye price for them and what about a razor gen 1 or the new gen viper hd are they any good? One thing that makes it tuff, most stores don't carry many spotting scopes. Most rifle scopes I can find in the area or know someone that has one to look at spotting scopes are a little harder to find.
I have a 20-60x85 Viper HD, works great for me. If purely using it for range use out to a mile, the 60x will be nice to have. I have a couple 4k videos through a phone skope adapter and a Pixel 3 if you want a sample.

I have a 20-60x85 Viper HD, works great for me. If purely using it for range use out to a mile, the 60x will be nice to have. I have a couple 4k videos through a phone skope adapter and a Pixel 3 if you want a sample.
Yea I wouldn't mind to check those out.

Recent trip, all labelled on what everything is. https://photos.app.goo.gl/rYfSJrs7ZDLEYsLMA

And a few from a meet up of a few local snipershide guys. These are all 1 mile, warmer day. https://photos.app.goo.gl/TQUXKfiJniN5ByG8A

I will also add in some older 1080p footage. The 2+ minute video shows what happens on a hot day an mirage turns everything to a boiling mess. https://photos.app.goo.gl/RnBQ7x5jZJCYcQWL7
Thanks I would be very happy with that quality for what I do and I'm sure it looks better in person then on video. That with a retical eye piece would be perfect. Thanks for posting the vids. That spotter is a little bigger then what I want but that may be what I go with.

Reactions: kyzim311
The Athlon Ares Gen 2 15-45x65 is what you seek. Great quality for the price and there’s a 22x mil reticle eyepiece available. IMO it’s by far the best in that price range, and nearly the only one available with a reticle. I looked at all the competition including several priced at a couple hundred bucks more.

@gr8fuldoug can get you a killer deal on the scope and eyepiece. You should call him tomorrow, you won’t regret it.

I've got a ton of time behind the Bushnell Forge 15x56 binos, from prototypes through the current production models. I've used them at matches when shooting and RO'ing (including working at the AG Cup as a spotter) and I have never had a complaint with them. They've definitely never left me thinking I'd have seen a miss or impact any better if I had Swaros, etc.

Reactions: Andrew863
Ended up ordering the Bushnell today. Talked to some people and looked at some vids and decided it's worth a try. I got a killer deal for them new so worse case if they don't make the cut I'll toss them up for sale and add some cash to upgrade. I'm also going to get some binos. Really liking the looks of the Bushnell forge and also been considerijg saving for a bino and range finder in one but not sure on that.Thabks to all of you that took the time to help me out with the comments and videos. They helped alot!

Reactions: Steel head
These are pretty damn good. Same glass and what not as the alpines mentioned earlier but with a mil reticle. I got a pair in the PX once for $300. Not uncommon to see for $400-450 in there.

These are pretty damn good. Same glass and what not as the alpines mentioned earlier but with a mil reticle. I got a pair in the PX once for $300. Not uncommon to see for $400-450 in there.
I'll check those out as of now, I have just started looking at binos

I've got the 8x42 Forge. Spotted .22 misses at 500 pretty easy. I really pike them for the money. The 15x I've looked through have been really nice as well. Great value IMO.

Ended up ordering the Bushnell today. Talked to some people and looked at some vids and decided it's worth a try. I got a killer deal for them new so worse case if they don't make the cut I'll toss them up for sale and add some cash to upgrade. I'm also going to get some binos. Really liking the looks of the Bushnell forge and also been considerijg saving for a bino and range finder in one but not sure on that.Thabks to all of you that took the time to help me out with the comments and videos. They helped alot!
It’s a decent unit.
The reticle is very usable, the glass is decent for the $$$ and it’s fairly compact.
I use it for spotting ELR without issues.

I also want a set of binoculars with a LRF in them but I need them to have a pretty good range, I’m hoping the sig 10K that’s coming out soon will cover my needs.

It’s a decent unit.
The reticle is very usable, the glass is decent for the $$$ and it’s fairly compact.
I use it for spotting ELR without issues.

I also want a set of binoculars with a LRF in them but I need them to have a pretty good range, I’m hoping the sig 10K that’s coming out soon will cover my needs.
Yea I wanted to spend around 600 and I kept looking and before I knew it I was about to spend 1500. So I just ordered the bushnell I figure its worth a try and well under what I wanted to spend.

Yea I wanted to spend around 600 and I kept looking and before I knew it I was about to spend 1500. So I just ordered the bushnell I figure its worth a try and well under what I wanted to spend.
That’s the approach I took.
I just haven’t had the need to upgrade it yet.

Last edited: