• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Budget tactical scope?

Brandon1

Private
Minuteman
Yes another "budget" question from me.

I will preface this by saying that my only entry into tactical scopes is the Centerpoint at WalMart, which in its defense is a very good scope for the money. I have had Bushnell Elite 3200's and I currently have a Nikon BDC, and they are very nice.

I want a tactical scope for my new FN PBR. Something like a 4-12 or a 4-16 etc. Nothing more than 4x min power. Tactical turrets are a must, and if it comes with a sunshade I'd be thrilled.

Can this be found under $200? I am not looking to have the best, so I am ok to accept a little compromise now. I have found a Mueller 4-12x40 Tactical for $144, and it looks to be a decent deal.

What say you?

Re: Budget tactical scope?

Check and see if SWFA has anymore of the Vortex 6-24x50 with target knobs and MilDot for $100, only scope in your price thats not cheap crap.

I have shot plenty of deer with a six power. If you learn to shoot with both eyes open it works ok.

Same here, I've used fixed 6x Leupolds and Nikons on a few of my hunting rifles with great success. In fact, just about all my variable power scopes get turned to 6x when I'm in the stand...

Forgot to mention. The absolute best $200ish scope you can find is a Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14x40 side focus mil dot. Glass is very good for the money, and the scope has positive and repeatable adjustments. You can typically find them for around $215-240, and they are well worth the money.

Eat rice and beans for another week and get a Super Sniper. I mean its really not that much more.

They must have upped the glass in the SS's in the last couple of years, because the last two that I looked through were really bad compared to other similarly priced scopes.

Be patient Grasshopper-borrow or use a scope you may have already until you have sufficent funds for a mid-priced scope or better ($400-500 or more). You have too fine a rifle to go cheap just to get by. It will be worth the wait.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Eat rice and beans for another week and get a Super Sniper. I mean its really not that much more. </div></div>

You must have missed this part in his post: "Something like a 4-12 or a 4-16 etc. Nothing more than 4x min power"

Try the 4_14 buckmaster and add stoney point knobs. The scope is great for the money and if you buy used you shouldn't lose much when you upgrade.

See here is the problem, I am not a scope snob. I have had expensive scopes in the past (my 3200 elite was $330 when I got it) and I simply cant see the difference in a $200 scope vs. a $400 scope.

I'll give that buckmaster a try.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brandon21</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have had expensive scopes in the past (my 3200 elite was $330 when I got it)</div></div>

No, you haven't. If you have not looked through a US Optics, S&B, NF and consider $300 an expensive scope you need to rethink your position.
A straight 10x is a damn good scope for hunting, and when properly learned and applied is a fine hunting or range scope on a good rifle.
Eat raman and beans, saave your money, and set your budget to say $600 to $800. Come on, suck it up, get your stuff to the next level. If you can save $800, you are that much closer to a solid 10x by one of the aforementioned companies. When you experience their glass, you will never go down from there. In your budget, the only real solid scope IS the 10x SWFA Super Sniper. Save your money a little longer and look hard at SWFA's SS HD

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jason280</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Eat rice and beans for another week and get a Super Sniper. I mean its really not that much more. </div></div>

You must have missed this part in his post: "Something like a 4-12 or a 4-16 etc. Nothing more than 4x min power" </div></div>

They make a 3-9.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brandon21</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have had expensive scopes in the past (my 3200 elite was $330 when I got it)</div></div>

No, you haven't. If you have not looked through a US Optics, S&B, NF and consider $300 an expensive scope you need to rethink your position.
A straight 10x is a damn good scope for hunting, and when properly learned and applied is a fine hunting or range scope on a good rifle.
Eat raman and beans, saave your money, and set your budget to say $600 to $800. Come on, suck it up, get your stuff to the next level. If you can save $800, you are that much closer to a solid 10x by one of the aforementioned companies. When you experience their glass, you will never go down from there. In your budget, the only real solid scope IS the 10x SWFA Super Sniper. Save your money a little longer and look hard at SWFA's SS HD </div></div>

I already stated, I am not going that high. Its not what I want. $300 may not seem like an expensive scope to you, but for a college kid paying for tuition *himself* while running a business, I think its expensive. Now I would appreciate it if you guys would just stick to my question instead of suggesting a budget 2-3x as much as what I originally stated. I appreciate all opinions, but I simply dont have that kind of budget right now. I can buy an expensive scope right now without a problem, but I choose to put it in a savings account instead of on top of a rifle.

Brandon......you come here and sit at the feet of masters, so heed their words.

there is a rule of thumb on these here boolit launchers, and it goes something like this;

you may spend more on optics and rings and base than what you paid for the rifle.

to ring out the full potential of your rifle you must be able to see the target....putting a max limit on cost vastly limits YOU and the point of diminishing returns quickly comes into play.

consider buying a really good chunk of glass and worry about the rifle later...the glass is where its at.

I realize that and I have heard those same words several times. I see the point as well. When I get out of college I may be able to spend several hundred to a thousand dollars on a scope, but right now, as a full time student who runs his own business, I cant afford more than *maybe* $300.

Now, I appreciate the opinions, but this thread was about sub $200-$300 tactical scopes, not about how I need to spend more money.

1. Get your priorities straight, finish school, then buy a nice scope.

OR

2. Buy any POS for $2-300 just so you can have a scope NOW. They are all about the same.

You do realize that I will be in college for the next few years?

Instead of pointing out how I should spend more, you guys could have simply pointed me to the Mueller APT thread in this forum, seems to be a great "budget tactical scope" in my price range and power requirements.

When I got into all this LR stuff I had my mind set on going cheap.
Remington PSS .308 - $720
Used US Optics ST-10 - well it was less than $800 but I was paying $50 a month

McMillan Stock - $XXX for $50 a month direct to Kelly

Mounting Solution from US Optics courtesy of John Williams II(rings, 20MOA base, hardware and free advice)

Yeah, I had all kinds of ideas on how to fix the piss poor stock, I had a Tasco mil dot scope and some BS rings. When I tightened the rings, the fuckers broke. SO much for cheap shit. The scope was piss poor at best because it was like looking through a haze the optics were so bad. The freakin base was aligned to teh left so MIllet windage rings had to be used. That was an entire system under $500 and it sucked balls.
I get you, you are on a budget. SO was I at the time. I had Panty 6, three boys eating everything in sight, and some pretty nice bills to go with them all so LR shooting was not really in my budget, but I made concessions and made it work. Finding the right stuff through this forum and LISTENING to the GREAT advice of guys like boltripper, LL, Aho Boogershat, some asshole called Rifles Only(hey, I was a newb, I got the business from EVERYONE HERE) who said cooks can't shoot(that old FBI cat has the HIGHEST amount of respect form me now though), another group from Texas that thought I was seriously missing functional brain power, but I LISTENED to them, heeded their words, and went looking for the solid deals in the For Sale forum. Yes, I went way over budget, caught HELL from Panty 6, but guess what? I still have the entire kit, adn it freakin SHOOTS! Under 1/2MOA after close to six years of beating it up playing on the range finding new positions to shoot from and UKD targets.
Seriously, you go spend less than $300 on your 'Optics System' and you will cry hard when something breaks(or it doesn't shoot right) then spend MORE money to fix it. There is no real cheap way to get into this hobby and if you cry once, suck it up and spend a little more up front, you get some good kit that will last while you learn the ropes. For an entry level budget conscious build, expect to spend about $600 - $800 for the rifle, and maybe $500 for the scope and mounting solution(SWFA SS 10x and IOR mount kit[20moa base, IOR rings] from SWFA) for another $99.95, you can get sunshade, ard, a cool decal or two, a hat, and the most important thing, a MIL DOT MASTER.

Save your money for a while longer, eat the raman and beans, and spend a little more. Less than $300 will get AFU in short order then you will spend even more. I ain't no guru on this stuff, but you know what, every once in a while I get my shit into a zen state and can outshoot a lot of these guys here(10th in Smack the Snowflake). I stand behind my advice, and my learned skill from this place that I got by LISTENING and PAYING ATTENTION. I shoot alone, have no one near by to shoot with, so I have done all of this with the super advice of guys here who know wht the fuck they are talking about.
Listen to Boltripper, he knows his shit real well

This was my budget build:

Vamfyraoldpic.jpg

As stated the first scope on the kit was a POS Tasco with some BS parts I got at Dick's SPorting goods for less than $500 all said and done. It broke real fast. As a student your money is tight. Saave it longer, wait a bit until you get a nicer stash, then get your stuff. You will be happier in the end

Why can't you just use the Nikon that you have now until you can afford what you really want?

I don't know what kind of shooting you're doing now but I've got a Simmons 3-10x44 (Japanese made) on my rifle right now that is clear and accurate enough for my current purposes. I can clearly see a sheet of copy paper at 500 yards on a cloudy day and that's a lot farther than I have a place to shoot. This one was given to me but I'm pretty sure they go for a lot less than $200. I think some of them are made in the Philipines and I haven't looked through one of those so I don't know how they compare with the Japanese made ones but I've heard they aren't as good.

If you're on that tight of a budget my recommendation would be to use what you have until your budget increases. The short term satisfaction of having "something" wears off pretty soon when you really wanted "something else". Settling hardly ever works out in the long run.

I agree and see what you guys are saying 100%, BUT...

I did not start a thread titled "should I buy a budget scope or save my money and get a better one". It was titled "Budget Tactical Scope". I wanted opinions on what were some good budget scopes, not you guys telling me to save. I know that a Zeiss or other high end scope would be better, but I am not buying that at this point in time. It would have been nice to have an answer that actually ANSWERED my question, instead of giving an opinion that was not asked for.

Like I said, I know a better optic would be the best option, but its not in the works right now. From this point forward, if you have a opinion on a budget optic, that is what I want to hear.

From what I've been researching:

Bushnell 3200 10x40
Wotac (Wonder Optics)
Falcon Optics
Vortex Viper 6.5-20

For under 200 I would definitely say a Bushnell 3200 10x40, otherwise save up a little more and get a little more.

I have a 3200 10x40 right now, pretty good optics, I am looking for something with a little more magnification, but Bushnells warranty service is pretty awesome. If I could get something like a Shmidt and Bender, or even a USO I would shit myself but thats at least a few years down the road.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Apache</div><div class="ubbcode-body">From what I've been researching:

Bushnell 3200 10x40
Wotac (Wonder Optics)
Falcon Optics
Vortex Viper 6.5-20

For under 200 I would definitely say a Bushnell 3200 10x40, otherwise save up a little more and get a little more.

I have a 3200 10x40 right now, pretty good optics, I am looking for something with a little more magnification, but Bushnells warranty service is pretty awesome. If I could get something like a Shmidt and Bender, or even a USO I would shit myself but thats at least a few years down the road. </div></div>

I keep reading allot about fixed 10x scopes, and know tons of people use them, but I gotta have variable something lol. That Viper would be awesome, if they werent backordered.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brandon21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">From this point forward, if you have a opinion on a budget optic, that is what I want to hear. </div></div>

From what it sounds like, you are going more for the "tacti-cool" look than you are for function. If looking "cool" is your choice, go out and buy a 100.00 ninja scope and about 3 or 4, maybe more sun shades and give er' hell, you'll look cool as hell! You will look even cooler when your shit breaks and you cant hit the target because it wont hold a zero.
whistle.gif

Edit: I would recommend Nightforce...Just sayin'

I'll be completely honest. There isn't a scope in your budget that I would ever stick my name on as "suggesting" to you.

You won't be happy in the end, and I'll be damned if you can come back to me and say I gave you bad advice on scope choices.

Sorry dude. What you want and what you can afford are not the same. Guys here are not willing to compromise on this stuff.

So you have no options. Quit asking for them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brand692</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll be completely honest. There isn't a scope in your budget that I would ever stick my name on as "suggesting" to you.

You won't be happy in the end, and I'll be damned if you can come back to me and say I gave you bad advice on scope choices.

Sorry dude. What you want and what you can afford are not the same. Guys here are not willing to compromise on this stuff.

So you have no options. Quit asking for them. </div></div>

Very well said! In that price range, brand X is not going to have a significant advantage over brand Y. A turd is a turd, no way to make it smell any better! Unless of course, you add 6 sunshades...But I am sure you are going to do that anyway.

Coming here asking for a $200 tactical, variable power, no more than 4x on the low end, external turrets, etc, etc scope is like go to the Barret Jackson Auto Auction asking for a $3,000 Black Ferrari Enzo with Red interior, white stiching, custom stereo, etc etc.

People tell you to save because what you want is not congruous with your budget.

Check libertyoptics, great vendor and I'm pretty sure they have them in stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Glock_and_roll</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brandon21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">From this point forward, if you have a opinion on a budget optic, that is what I want to hear. </div></div>

From what it sounds like, you are going more for the "tacti-cool" look than you are for function. If looking "cool" is your choice, go out and buy a 100.00 ninja scope and about 3 or 4, maybe more sun shades and give er' hell, you'll look cool as hell! You will look even cooler when your shit breaks and you cant hit the target because it wont hold a zero.
whistle.gif

Edit: I would recommend Nightforce...Just sayin' </div></div>

I'm not a damn mall ninja, I just have a limited budget because I choose to be smart and put more money in a savings account than in a $1000 scope.

Thanks for the opinions anyway. I will go with my own choice of a lower end scope now, and upgrade in the future. Seems like a logical choice for now.

You scope snobs can now go back to talking about $2000 scopes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brandon21</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Apache</div><div class="ubbcode-body">From what I've been researching:

Bushnell 3200 10x40
Wotac (Wonder Optics)
Falcon Optics
Vortex Viper 6.5-20

I have a 3200 10x40 right now, pretty good optics, I am looking for something with a little more magnification, but Bushnells warranty service is pretty awesome. If I could get something like a Shmidt and Bender, or even a USO I would shit myself but thats at least a few years down the road. </div></div>

I keep reading allot about fixed 10x scopes, and know tons of people use them, but I gotta have variable something lol. That Viper would be awesome, if they werent backordered.
</div></div>

There's a B&L 6x24x40 over in the optics for sale section of the Hide.This particular scope is well known for extremely crisp optics and repeatability.

It's so far above "(superior)"!!! than the other cheap scopes you have mentioned,it can't even be compared with them.Better jump on it fast Brandon.

Steve

Brandon,

The best you can do on your budget is the Nikon Buckmasters, hands down. It has good glass, positive/repeatable turrets, side focus, mil dots, and is offered in 4.5-14x. It really is a very good scope, and will serve you well both in the woods and on the range. I have owned at least three of them, and I've never had an issue with any of them. Not only that, but they hold value fairly well. You can buy one used for under $240, and will have little trouble getting $225 out of it when you sell (assuming it remains in good shape).

Its a good idea to set yourself a budget and stick to it, especially given your financial situation. Try the Nikon, you'll be happy!

Look at some used scopes. I'm sure you can find a 3-9 super sniper, if you need one NOW. Or get a Centerpoint 4-16. I have one on my 10-22. As you said, it's nice for what its price.

http://www.bsaoptics.com/scope.aspx?productID=61

Here is a scope right up your alley, son. I say son, because of my perception of your attitude towards good men giving good advice. I can feel the generational differences between you and me coming through your posts. The impatience of youth.

Anyway, I have one of these used that was on a pristine SA M1A I bought off an estate. Classic example of a $200.00 scope on a $1400.00 rifle. I used it 1 range session and off it came.

Because of your economic situation I would gladly sell for $110.00 shipped to you so you can have a POS scope on your fine rifle. PM me if interested.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brandon21</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Glock_and_roll</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brandon21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">From this point forward, if you have a opinion on a budget optic, that is what I want to hear. </div></div>

whistle.gif

Edit: I would recommend Nightforce...Just sayin' </div></div>

I'm not a damn mall ninja, I just have a limited budget because I choose to be smart and put more money in a savings account than in a $1000 scope.

Thanks for the opinions anyway. I will go with my own choice of a lower end scope now, and upgrade in the future. Seems like a logical choice for now.

You scope snobs can now go back to talking about $2000 scopes. </div></div>

Damn dude, from what I was reading here, you received some pretty sound suggestions and most of them would not break the bank. No one seemed to be telling you that you had to go out and buy a two grand optic to be accepted. Heck man, you put a two hundered limit on it, and during all this jabbering back and forth and you missed the Super Sniper I just sold over in the optics section for $225.00, I'm sure, if you were serious, you could scrape up 25 more bucks, or even 50 bucks if you put you mind to it and get a good optic that will last for you and hold up in the field. Switchblade is right, a 10X fixed will serve you well, even in the woods, keep an open mind and listen to the guys with the experiance. The deals are out there, you just need to be cool, sit on your hard earned money, and watch the fourm. Put a few more dollars aside and wait, otherwise you WILL spend 150-200 this week and in a month you will spend 300 more on a new optic because the cheap one broke or you hate it, when all along you could have just taken some good suggestions.

Bushnell 10x40 is the only sub 200 dollar "tactical" scope worth a damn. There are lots and lots of people using them on bolt .308 rifles to good effect. Try it, you won't be disappointed.

If you really REALLY REALLY REALLY HAVE TO HAVE a variable power scope for under 300 (and possibly 200ish) Nikon Buckmaster is the way to go.

Other good used scopes are older Leupold Vari-X, USA Redfield, and Bausch & Lomb, but I don't know that you would be able to find a "Tactical" one for 200ish.

Dude im in the same situation I think Im going with the Wotac. Lots of people like them and they havent had any problems that havent gone unresolved. I know NF and other brand are awesome but there is no need to go into a bunch of debt to get a scope. For me I just need something that works not the best.

Once again, what's wrong with the Nikon you have?

I too am on a budget having 2 little ones at home. Know what I'm doing? Keeping the scopes I have until I have the money to get what I really want. They are fine for my level of skill right now and I already have them so I can sock money away for other things. That way when it comes time for me to buy another scope I don't have to come on here and say I want a good scope and when people suggest good scopes I won't get all butt-hurt and bitch at them for giving me good advice.

My, inexperienced with optics, advice is to shoot what you have until you have the money for something decent.

I bow to the feet of the master's and agree whole heartedley with them. I, today returned a new $400 vari FFP tactical for warranty, that may well wind up used as a paper weight, lesson because of not listening to the masters. Should have eat ramen and beans. NOw I'm waiting for the choice between Bushnell 4200 FFP or vortex PST FFP. Because no patience. I'll be buying twice?

I recommend the Bushnell 10x40 non AO or the SWFA 10x42 rear AO. Both low end tactical, both worth more than money paid, plus maintain resale value. Not variable, but you really don't need that bling?

Brandon, I am also relatively new to this forum. The first thread I posted was an "A or B question": Remington 700 or Savage 10 BAS. I got a lot of great responses from a lot of very knowledgeable people. And yes, quite a few people suggested options other than the two I was asking about, and as a result, I ended up learning a lot more than I ever would have believed possible in such a short time. Some of the options suggested didn't quite fit what I was looking for, but some of them were actually better ideas than what I had in mind to begin with. Any time someone posted a link, or said "check this out", I did. Even if thier suggestion wasn't for me, I still appreciate them taking the time to read and answer my question, and for giving me the benefit of thier personal experience. They could be spending thier time shooting
reloading, watching TV, having sex with thier wives/girlfriend, whatever. Doing something productive to benefit themselves, but instead choose to help out others who share a love for shooting. That doesn't sound like a snob to me.
Look at it this way: buy what you can for now, but when you can afford to upgrade, you already have a lot of good options to keep in mind.
Now here are my 2 suggestions:
a) Millett TRS-1 4-16x50mm I recently bought one of these for just under $300, have about 100 rds under it and I'm very happy with it so far.
b) Cabela's Big Game Turret Tactical Scopes: comes with diferent turrets calibrated for different popular calibers
and is available in 3-12x40($149), & 6-18x40($179).
They may not be any better than any other Chinese scope on the market, but at least if it breaks, doesn't work well, or youre just not happy with it, you can always return it and get your money back.Just save your receipt. For $150-180, thats probably the best warranty/return policy you'll find.
Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jason280</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Eat rice and beans for another week and get a Super Sniper. I mean its really not that much more. </div></div>

You must have missed this part in his post: "Something like a 4-12 or a 4-16 etc. Nothing more than 4x min power" </div></div>

No, I got that part. I also realize what he needs and that he thinks he knows what he wants. I suggested the SS and in 10x cus that will more than make the grade for anything you can reach with a 308. I have nicer scopes with all the power adjustment on them and guess what the only two things that get touched are parallax and elevation.

I hope you make a decision you happy with. Good luck to you.

Really just trying to help you out here.

Trade in what you have, I don't know what they will give you for it but its alittle more $$ to go towards something your replacing anyway.

http://www.samplelist.com/tradeinform.aspx

Trade for SS10X, I know you want a variable, but you said you also want to shoot longrange, so this is what you really need insted of veriable power,

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P499.aspx

Or to save you some money(eat more rice and beans)

http://swfa.com/Bushnell-10x40-Elite-3200-Rifle-Scope-P242.aspx

Then get a one piece base if you can afford it right now. Otherwise get the cheep stuff at the store untile you have another $40 to spend.

http://swfa.com/FN-SPR-C1687.aspx

Lastly, you need rings. Pay attention to what size you need. First off you'll most likely need a low set but depending on what scope you'll be looking at 1" or 30mm.

These here cover both and aren't that bad of a piece either.

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-Tac-30mm-1-Rings-P41851.aspx

With the cheaper scope and the base and rings listed above you should still be out for right at three bills and actualy have something that pretty much anyone here would expect to last. Your missguided if you think the people here look down on others for not having the expensive kits. You need to take the advise that is given, it was found out by thoes that had to learn that leason the hard way.

Thanks for more opinions fellas. Let me make this clear, there is no saving needed. I am not on a budget because I cant afford a better scope, I am on a budget because I dont want to spend that much money on a scope. $200-$300 was my budget for a *VARIABLE* scope, NOT a fixed 10x. It will be used for as little as 50yrd hunting, or as long as 1000yrds at my personal range. This is not meant for a huge expensive Long Range project, just a simple hunting/fun rifle that can do double duty.

I have been looking mostly at the Mueller APT, the Millet TRS-1, and the Nikon Buckmasters. These seem to be a decent compromise with decent glass for what I am asking. Many reviews on the APT say the glass is better than a Nikon Prostaff, which I already have.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brandon21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can buy an expensive scope right now without a problem, but I choose to put it in a savings account instead of on top of a rifle. </div></div>

before I give my suggestion I feel you must know that I'm a junior in college getting zero help from the parents for tuition. I take out student loans for tuition and keep very solid grades for scholarships. I do have a part time job as well.

Having said this, I would first call your bank and see what rate of return you are receiving on your savings. If it's not above the inflation rate then pull it out and buy a good scope. If you find a good deal on a good scope then you can get it and not lose much if any money when you sell it but either way your savings under the inflation rate will be losing money in the future value sense. If you see that your investments are under 3.5 % then just pull it. You are doing nothing but helping the bank make money.

What I would do and am doing is to get a solid one piece base and good rings. Burris XTR's are a good budget choice and the warne tactical rings lock on solid. You problem comes in the 50-1000 yard range. I want to tell you to go 20moa cant on the base but at 50 that's a ton. However without the 20 moa you will need some serious holdover to reach 1k.

A good base with good rings will help a bad scope.

I would use the scope you have now and save for a falcon menace 4-16 or 5-25. It seems to get good reviews and isn't anywhere near a thousand dollars. On my savage I have the factory simmons 3-9-40 and can make hits out to 350. I will say that the next few hundred dollars I get, it will be replaced. It will then transfer over to my ar15 I'm building then I will start saving for a scope for it.

I try to save a couple dollars a day for a scope. If you can get a bucket to put this cash in if not just keep a journal of days you owe yourself money. You will find your guns get to be really cool in short order.

Also what gun is this scope going on? Caliber?