• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Budget trigger impressions, Larue MBT and Rise RA140

flyer

Unicorn hunter
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2018
I have a surplus of uppers and while buying an ARC Nucleus bolt action, I added on a few AR lowers to turn that surplus in to complete rifles.

After getting them home I started the process of building up the lowers.

I have recently been buying LPKs that have no FCG or pistol grip. For AR15 (Aero M4E1) I have AR Stoner kits and for my LR308 compatible Aero M5E1 lowers, I have Aero LPKs.

I just recently got a Wheeler trigger pull scale and I will be using it to measure the pull of the two budget triggers I have for these new lowers.

The first trigger is the Larue MBT. It looks very similar to an RRA two stage match trigger but it's made with tool steel and finished nicer. Both are two stage and both cost about the same but right away I can tell that the MBT has a much cleaner travel and break than an RRA. On the trigger scale, the initial first stage take up was about 1.75-2 lbs with the total pull a seemingly very consistent 3.5 lbs. The trigger comes with a set of pins but I decided to try a set of Strike Industries anti-rotation pins, no real reason but they work fine.

The second trigger is a Rise RA140. It's a drop in trigger that is built in a cassette so the lower receiver pin hole locations really don't matter. I installed it with a set of Elftman anti-rotation pins. In this application, anti-rotation pins are a good idea and the Elftman kit is very nice. If you don't get anti-rotation pins, there are set screws that push the trigger cassette upward and use that force to retain the trigger pins. I tried to tighten those set screws but after a few attempts, I gave up because the hammer spring makes it a pain in the ass. Luckily with my anti-rotation pins I don't care. Once installed, I tested pull and it was a bit more than it's 3.5 lb single stage rating. Pulls varied from about 4-4.5 lbs but after several pulls it seems to be settling down around 4 lbs. The pull seems quite clean.

I like single stage triggers so I'm anxious to try out the RA140 trigger but the MBT feels really nice too.

The last trigger I tried today was a Bix-n-Andy Tacsport ball trigger on my ARC Nucleus. I haven't measured the pull yet but it is so short and so light, there is really no comparison but a bolt action can't auto load so the ARs have that.

I don't think I'm a trigger snob, I think a 15 minute trigger job on an LPK trigger is usually nice enough that it doesn't really limit my accuracy, it just makes me work harder.

Both of these budget match triggers feel very nice and will make it easy to achieve the accuracy your gun is capable of.

The only thing left to do is shoot them.

I’ve bought four Larue MBTs during this rifle giveaway. Like you say they are well built and they break extremely crisp. Changing out all my triggers now also. Except the ones in my Larue rifles... lol

I’ve bought four Larue MBTs during this rifle giveaway. Like you say they are well built and they break extremely crisp. Changing out all my triggers now also. Except the ones in my Larue rifles... lol
Really? I uninstalled my first and only MBT-2. It felt nothing like a Geissele, not anywhere near as crisp.