• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Budget tripod setup from scratch

thegrayham

Private
Minuteman
I am looking to make a tripod setup before my next outing. I looked at the Really Right Stuff stuff(?) and was blown away by the pricing. I am hoping to keep this in the $300-$500 range for the tripod, head and mounting plate. I am a casual shooter who goes out to the desert maybe 6 times a year and am typically shooting steel within 1200 yards. I do find that where I go shooting, prone just doesn't allow full access of the area and can really limit my view of targets due to the terrain. I currently shoot a latest gen Ruger precision rifle (MLOK) in 6.5CM with a gen I Vortex Razor HD to give you an idea of weight.

Based on my research I feel like the items below are a good starting point, but curious to see if anyone has feedback about these products or can recommend anything better in my limited budget. Thanks in advance!

PIG0311-G Tripod $138
http://stores.hogsaddle.com/pig0311-g-field-tripod-od-green/

Desmond DLOW-55 Ball head $169
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A2JSGI6/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=A117K1DEQYNJIS&psc=1

or

GNN FB-52 Ball Head $169
http://stores.hogsaddle.com/gnn-fb-52-ball-head/

XLR 8.75" M-Lok arca swiss rail $54
https://xlrindustries.com/collections/accessories/products/barricade-stop-m-lok?variant=26441789061

Last edited:
I see you're shooting from it, I'm looking at the PIG for that with one of those clamp saddles. I think I'd like one of the pistol grip ball heads for it if that'll work but some of the video heads look like they'd be better for me. If the big PIG will support an HTI then I'll get that one but if not then I'd rather have the smaller one. I like the ones that go lower.

For the optical stuff I got a Sirui with the head from Cameraland for $137 and it holds 17.6lbs and doesn't weigh much at all. Sirui is on par with Manfrotto, the name just isn't as popular with shooters. You can get a plethora of heads, I didn't know what I needed so I got a strong but inexpensive ball head. Absolutely could not be beat and works standing or in the prone. You could shoot from it I suppose, it supports a lot of weight, but it's not why I got it.

I see you're shooting from it, I'm looking at the PIG for that with one of those clamp saddles. I think I'd like one of the pistol grip ball heads for it if that'll work but some of the video heads look like they'd be better for me. If the big PIG will support an HTI then I'll get that one but if not then I'd rather have the smaller one. I like the ones that go lower.

For the optical stuff I got a Sirui with the head from Cameraland for $137 and it holds 17.6lbs and doesn't weigh much at all. Sirui is on par with Manfrotto, the name just isn't as popular with shooters. You can get a plethora of heads, I didn't know what I needed so I got a strong but inexpensive ball head. Absolutely could not be beat and works standing or in the prone. You could shoot from it I suppose, it supports a lot of weight, but it's not why I got it.

PIG 0311
Feisol CB-50D
HOG Saddle Mod7
Heavy Ass RPR

1535680645642.jpeg

I would personally check out he Desmond 432 tri pod. I have one and I love it.

55lb load cap, carbon fiber, and it’s under $250.

I have a Pig0311 and can say, for a low cost tri-pod they are a real big bang for the buck. Very rigid, stable tripod. Only downside is that they are comparatively heavy to the more expensive (carbon fiber) brethren. No surprise there though...

Here is my setup.
Slik amt- $100
Dlow-55- * $135
Used Hog saddle- $200
QD throw lever arca clamp- *$14

*Purchased on ebay using 20% off coupons.

This setup weighs 8lbs 7oz and sees double duty for shooting and a spotting scope as well (hence the qd arca clamp). I've never used a quality tripod ball head but the dlow seems to be well made.

Full disclosure: I don't shoot PRS or rifle competitions (maybe someday). This setup gets used when our group shoots steel on the weekend and at home. Branden aka @shortbus did bang the 1000yard plate with it while standing.

Attachments

• 20180901_075752.jpg
    20180901_075752.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 20180901_075804.jpg
    20180901_075804.jpg
    379.5 KB · Views: 46
I also went with the Sirui carbon fiber tripod, and ball head, but added a Really Right Stuff mount for my rail. Well made all around.