• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Budget Tripp’s Setup

TAMU20

Private
Minuteman
May 20, 2017
Centennial, Colorado
I am looking for a budget tripod setup. I would like it to have a Arca Swiss mount and be able to hold a rifle sometimes. Most of the time it will be holding a spotting scope and rangefinder.

The Slik 700 Pro is $50 less and might work as well as the Pig for your needs. The Pig is based off of it but I don’t know exactly what the differences are. The Slik is pretty heavy though and I think the Pig weighs just about the same.

The Slik 700 Pro is $50 less and might work as well as the Pig for your needs. The Pig is based off of it but I don’t know exactly what the differences are. The Slik is pretty heavy though and I think the Pig weighs just about the same.
Yeah it’s a beefed up version. The joints are stronger

I had a Slik and bout a Pig on @TacticalDillhole’s recommendation. It’s better. With a Sunwayfoto leveling base, it’s decent. After shooting the Sniper’s Hide Team Challenge, I bought a RRS tripod and Anvil. It’s way better, but pricey.

I had a Slik and bout a Pig on @TacticalDillhole’s recommendation. It’s better. With a Sunwayfoto leveling base, it’s decent. After shooting the Sniper’s Hide Team Challenge, I bought a RRS tripod and Anvil. It’s way better, but pricey.
Yeah not even in the same league. RRS is the gold standard for sure.

I just ordered a Demon DB44 about a week ago along with the Slik 700. The Slik 700 is going back because it’s a little too heavy for what I’m wanting which is a lightweight set up I can carry Strapped to a back pack for pig hunting. I do however think the DB44 is a nice piece of kit and was pretty impressed for the $70 it cost. I do not thave anything to really compare it to though since my other set up is a Feisol with RRS ULB on it and not a ball head.

While the Slik is going back I’m going to try the Desmond 428 which appears to be about half the weight of the Slik and still rated for decent weight which should be good for my SBR and thermal for a couple of shots at a time. The Desmond 428 is pretty similar to the Night Stalker setup from night goggles. Some people speak pretty highly of it too and the price is attractive at something like $160.

Maybe going down the wrong road but this where I’m at thus far.

Thank you Texas both the Tripod youlisted and the ballhead look good. I think I’ll go with either the Desmond Tripod or the shadowtech Tripod with the demon ball head

I use the feisol ball head shadow tech sells

http://stores.hogsaddle.com/feisol-cb-50d-ball-head/

@texasleftychef is right, it’s not the lightest setup but it’s solid and a good place to start.

It just kind of comes down to need I think. If the Pig is more solid than the Slik then it’s certainly a good option. Just to heavy for what I’m trying to do. If I didn’t already have a more heavy duty tripod I would definitely be considering that option.

Leofoto 364C with Desmond ball head would be right around your max budget, but a better tripod setup for the money I have not seen.