• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Buffer and Trigger question for my 224v

chavezz556

Private
Minuteman
May 21, 2012
Panhandle of Idaho
I'm on a mission to make a tack driver gas gun.. but have a couple things I want to change

My lower is from my 16" go to war gun so it has the standard mil spec buffer and spring plus a JP ez trigger that is right around 4.5#

My goal is to grab another lower but I'm not sure what type of buffer set up to run in it. I have heard only good things about Tubbs spring system, but not sure if there is another option that would work.

Btw I'm shooting 85gn Nosler RDF's @2750 out of a 22" barrel with a break.

Also what trigger should I go with? Would prefer a drop in?

Larue triggers are hard to beat; especially for the cost difference in other brands. I run three of them and really like them, smooth and crisp

Reactions: gnochi
Timney Triggers Calvin Elite AR Triggers, 1.5lb Pull, Small Pin 660CE Trigger Pull

This one is my next trigger

Larue triggers are hard to beat; especially for the cost difference in other brands. I run three of them and really like them, smooth and crisp
Before I have Larue AR10 , the trigger is very good ( is very gentle impact after pull the trigger )

I already have the JP EZ trigger... What are your thoughts on changing it out for one of their Armageddon triggers?

Attachments

• jp.jpg
    jp.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 14
I have 15 minute trigger jobs, RRA NM 2 stage, old Chip McCormic drop in, Larue MBT, Rise Armament RA135, Mossberg JM PRO, an Elftmann and an SR Gold. I've tried Giselle triggers also (didn't buy).

Once you get to a drop in or a Larue, the differences between the best and worst of them are not huge.

Some LPK triggers won't clean up well and the RRA is known for wearing out quickly. Beside that, you would have to be pretty picky to find a "drop-in match trigger" that you can't work with.

Some are better than others but I'm not sure the expensive ones are $100+ better than a cheapo.

I would like to try out a Triggertech Diamond.

As for the buffer, the JP SCS is nice. You have options like the Vltor A5. They should all work for the most part, it's just a matter of feel and spring noise (if you care about that).

Actually building a 224 Valkyrie AR15 myself at the moment. There's one drop in trigger brand that I've come to prefer (they're in most of my builds now) and that CMC triggers. They make great "drop-ins" for a reasonable price. You can get straight, curved, 2.5-4.5lb single stage triggers that are compatible with AR15's and 10's (I've got two 3.5lbs). You can get match grade two stage triggers (I've got a 2-2lb and it's the crispest thing I've ever felt) in different weights. You can even get a PCC trigger if you want (I'm lucky enough to have a 3.5lb). They're all around great triggers and I thought I even read somewhere that CMC was one of the first companies to manufacture "drop-ins". For my Valkyrie build, I'll be purchasing another 2 stage 2-2lb. You can usually find CMC triggers on sale at devor, optics planet, Brownells and DSG Arms. DSG Arms provides an LEO and Mil discount so they're extremely well priced through them. Good luck and I hope this was helpful.

I bought my CMC a long time ago for $140 when there pretty much was nothing but the RRA 2 stage or a Jard to compete with it.

At the time it was a great deal and a nice trigger. Now I think they are $180+ and middle of the pack in terms of trigger trace results.

They are ok but not a value choice.

Running a rifle buffer tube, JP spring and Timney CE single stage with r+1 gas length

Smooth as silk she is.

I already have the JP EZ trigger... What are your thoughts on changing it out for one of their Armageddon triggers?

The Armageddon "Roller" is nice if you want a straight trigger shoe. Try one out before you buy it. Some folks swear by them. If you want a more typical straight trigger JP also makes their drop in fire control packs with a flat shoe. They all feel about the same to me but I'm not picky, I shoot anything that goes bang.

I
Actually building a 224 Valkyrie AR15 myself at the moment. There's one drop in trigger brand that I've come to prefer (they're in most of my builds now) and that CMC triggers. They make great "drop-ins" for a reasonable price. You can get straight, curved, 2.5-4.5lb single stage triggers that are compatible with AR15's and 10's (I've got two 3.5lbs). You can get match grade two stage triggers (I've got a 2-2lb and it's the crispest thing I've ever felt) in different weights. You can even get a PCC trigger if you want (I'm lucky enough to have a 3.5lb). They're all around great triggers and I thought I even read somewhere that CMC was one of the first companies to manufacture "drop-ins". For my Valkyrie build, I'll be purchasing another 2 stage 2-2lb. You can usually find CMC triggers on sale at devor, optics planet, Brownells and DSG Arms. DSG Arms provides an LEO and Mil discount so they're extremely well priced through them. Good luck and I hope this was helpful.

Ive heard really good things about CMC..

I wish there was a trigger dealership where you could go try a bunch of different triggers and see what best fits you. Might as well throw scopes in there too! ?

I

Ive heard really good things about CMC..

I wish there was a trigger dealership where you could go try a bunch of different triggers and see what best fits you. Might as well throw scopes in there too! ?
No kidding right?? Yeah man, I've got four CMC drop-in's from them so I guess I'm a fan boy at this point. Like I said, if you're Mil or LEO, create an account with DSG arms and you'll always get the best price for those. I'm pretty sure I only spent 135 on my last single stage 3.5lb trigger through DSG. Timney is always a solid choice but holy shit are they proud of their stuff. Good luck and regardless of what you get, I hope it fits your needs!