• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Buffer or grinder? whats the difference?

Mike308Bell

Private
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2011
Georgia, USA
I got a deal on a big arse Baldor. All I saw was Baldor and 1.5 HP and 1800rpm, and I got it for almost nothing, literally.

Problem is, its a grinder. It has grinding stones on it and the short shaft with the guards and work light sockets. I just figured I could buy the long buffer shaft and swap it out. Seemed like a good idea.

I go to the Baldor web site and the model #1021 is listed as a grinder.

Whats the difference between the buffer and grinder? Its has the HP and the rpm I need for buffing, just not the long shaft to give me more room to move around on the wheel and parts.

Any ideas or thoughts on using a grinder as a buffer or are the they same thing just different?

My buffers have a 3000+ rpm on the motor.

with 1800 your SFM will be down a bit. Might consider going to a bigger wheel if possible. Just ensure it has the grunt to keep it spinning when you start leaning on it.

Nice score, we could use another one around here at times.