• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Buffer recommendations

LongRange65

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2018
Caldwell, OH
Putting together my first SBR. I have a Colt 6920 lower that I'm using. The barrel will be a BA hanson 11.3". Looking for any feedback for which buffer to use? I'm assuming the current "H" style in the gun now will not work the greatest. Thanks.

Non adjustable gas block and carbine length tube. I planned on using the gas block that came with the barrel but I can purchase an adjustable one if necessary.

Get an adjustable gas block. I have a 12.3" BA Hanson profiled barrel with a Superlative Arms adjustable gas black with a Geissele Super 42 H1 Buffer and it works great with the DeadAir Sandman L suppressor.

I'd recommend either Superlative Arms and SLR Rifleworks. I own both and both are great gas blocks to use.

Reactions: LongRange65
You need to shoot it with the ammo you plan to shoot and then choose the buffer and spring to tune it correctly.

JP SCS Heavy for sure if you're going suppressed. Smoother cycle, less spring noise and you can set the rifle up to shoot suppressed and unsuppressed. I'd recommend a suppressor with a lower back pressure design as well.

An adjustable gas block would definitely.

The BA Hanson barrel comes with a pinned gas block.

Thanks for the replies. The plan is suppressed later on. Most gun shops are closed around here, was going to try and go the silencer shop with an kiosk. May look at the Recce 5 from Griffin. Gets alot of good reviews but open to suggestions.

Thanks for the replies. The plan is suppressed later on. Most gun shops are closed around here, was going to try and go the silencer shop with an kiosk. May look at the Recce 5 from Griffin. Gets alot of good reviews but open to suggestions.

Take a look at YHM and DeadAir has. I love my DeadAir Sandman L but it's large in comparison to what you're at but I also run it on my 308. You can buy the suppressor at Silencer Shop and they'll ship it to your local FFL. It'll get there before the ATF proccesses the paperwork. It took 9 months to the day for the ATF to get the tax stamp to my FFL. Even felt like I had a baby by the time it was over but wait times to vary. :ROFLMAO: :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

If you're going to go with the JP Silent Capture Spring contact JP first and see which buffer weight they recommend. I love mine in the 308 I have and it has absolutely no sproing to it. Neither does the Geissele Super 42 spring I have and it's cheaper than the JP SCS.

And when you're looking at suppressor reviews try and look at some that use a sound meter at the shooters ear. That will be the important metric as it is always louder at your ear than at the end of the barrel.

Last edited:
Reactions: LongRange65
Mine didn't but I bought an adjustable gas block from them at the same time. The downside was I had to dimple the barrel myself since it didn't come dimpled.
Are you sure it's their Hanson barrel? I thought that was one of the features that makes it a Hanson. I've had 3 of them and they all came with a pinned gas block. They also don't have a gas block shoulder like a standard AR barrel. Supposedly changes the harmonics of the barrel and makes them more accurate, well at least that's the reasoning BA gives.

Are you sure it's their Hanson barrel? I thought that was one of the features that makes it a Hanson. I've had 3 of them and they all came with a pinned gas block. They also don't have a gas block shoulder like a standard AR barrel. Supposedly changes the harmonics of the barrel and makes them more accurate, well at least that's the reasoning BA gives.

Yes I am. :ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

Get an adjustable gas block. I have a 12.3" BA Hanson profiled barrel with a Superlative Arms adjustable gas black with a Geissele Super 42 H1 Buffer and it works great with the DeadAir Sandman L suppressor.

I'd recommend either Superlative Arms and SLR Rifleworks. I own both and both are great gas blocks to use.

Not trying to be a smart ass, but why run an H2 with an adjustable gas block? Aren’t you just adding mass for no reason?

Not trying to be a smart ass, but why run an H2 with an adjustable gas block? Aren’t you just adding mass for no reason?

It depends on his system. The 12.3" barrel I have has a smaller gas port than normal so the H1 in mine works fine. It will just depend on how his system works once he adds the suppressor. Even an adjustable gas block will not cure everything.

So should I go with an JP or Geissele buffer with an adjustable gas block?

If you're looking to get a better buffer and spring then either one will work fine and it's up to you. If not then just wait and see how your current one works for you.

If you buy the BA Hanson 11.3 barrel I would buy the Superlative Arms gas block at the same time. You're barrel won't have the slot in it for the pinned gas block. You will need to either have it dimpled by a gun smith or dimple it yourself. Personally I suggest dimpling it yourself or contacting Ballistic Advantage and see if they will do it for you. I had a gunsmith screw up a dimpling job for me because he was an idiot. If you decide to do it yourself get a dimpling jig from SLR. It makes it easy and pretty much fool proof.