• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Buffer Technologies hydraulic buffer

Re: Buffer Technologies hydraulic buffer

I would stay away from hydraulic buffers. They really aren’t that good an idea. If you want something different get a flat wire buffer spring.

I've had a Hydraulic buffer in duty rifle POF .223 and its been problem free for me. Not that an AR has much kick but it did reduce the recoil. However, I don't know if it can justify the $90 it costs. Also I can see how it leaves room for a reliability issue to occur. Hope this helps.

Tactical Tom, whats does a flat wire buffer spring do? This is the first i've heard of it.

If your using a 5.56 look at a Spikes Tactical Heavy Buffer, I use one and combined with the flash hider I use I can tell a difference, and its much less than the hydraulic, not bashing them just giving you an option. If you ar using a .308 / 7.62x51 I would look at Slash Heavy Buffers. I have seen that quite a few Hide members use them and like them.

I use one of the Slash extra heavy buffers in my MWS, along with a Battlecomp BABC and the combination makes the rifle extremely controllable. Recoil is straight back,no muzzle rise, and comparable to an M4 with the A2. Spent last weekend shooting, fired 520 rounds with zero malfunctions and no soreness following. Pretty effective system.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jolly roger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use one of the Slash extra heavy buffers in my MWS, along with a Battlecomp BABC and the combination makes the rifle extremely controllable. Recoil is straight back,no muzzle rise, and comparable to an M4 with the A2. Spent last weekend shooting, fired 520 rounds with zero malfunctions and no soreness following. Pretty effective system. </div></div>

Since the MWS uses a standard AR-15 length buffer, are you using an AR-15 XH buffer from slash? Or do you have a different length tube now, and are using the ar-10 style buffer?

Hydrolic buffers are a waste of money, The recoil that you do feel from a 223 isn't the buffer hitting the back of the tube.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 9mmkungfu</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jolly roger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use one of the Slash extra heavy buffers in my MWS, along with a Battlecomp BABC and the combination makes the rifle extremely controllable. Recoil is straight back,no muzzle rise, and comparable to an M4 with the A2. Spent last weekend shooting, fired 520 rounds with zero malfunctions and no soreness following. Pretty effective system. </div></div>

Since the MWS uses a standard AR-15 length buffer, are you using an AR-15 XH buffer from slash? Or do you have a different length tube now, and are using the ar-10 style buffer? </div></div>

The MWS uses a longer buffer tube than the AR-15,in order to accommodate the longer buffer used. When I replaced the original SOPMOD stock with the UBR, the UBR's shorter(AR-15) tube necessitated the use of a shorter buffer and modified spring, hence the XH AR-10 buffer and modified spring from Clint. The system works flawlessly. I have nearly 800 rounds down the tube so far, without one malfunction. I can also vouch for the Magpul LR-20 mags, as they are all I use in this rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jolly roger</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 9mmkungfu</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jolly roger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use one of the Slash extra heavy buffers in my MWS, along with a Battlecomp BABC and the combination makes the rifle extremely controllable. Recoil is straight back,no muzzle rise, and comparable to an M4 with the A2. Spent last weekend shooting, fired 520 rounds with zero malfunctions and no soreness following. Pretty effective system. </div></div>

Since the MWS uses a standard AR-15 length buffer, are you using an AR-15 XH buffer from slash? Or do you have a different length tube now, and are using the ar-10 style buffer? </div></div>

The MWS uses a longer buffer tube than the AR-15,in order to accommodate the longer buffer used. When I replaced the original SOPMOD stock with the UBR, the UBR's shorter(AR-15) tube necessitated the use of a shorter buffer and modified spring, hence the XH AR-10 buffer and modified spring from Clint. The system works flawlessly. I have nearly 800 rounds down the tube so far, without one malfunction. I can also vouch for the Magpul LR-20 mags, as they are all I use in this rifle.
</div></div>

Roger that, I didn't realize you switched out the tube also.

I'm kinda in the same boat, I am looking at Slash H-Buffers myself. I have a DPMS LR-308 with a PRS stock. I will be making a phone call to him Monday.

the enhanced spring is from Tubb--I use one in a piston 3-gun
--got it from Brownell's--smoother function; not sure about recoil reduction--always wanted to try an Enindine

I have heard the hydraulic buffer leak after around 1000 rounds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jolly roger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use one of the Slash extra heavy buffers in my MWS, along with a Battlecomp BABC and the combination makes the rifle extremely controllable. Recoil is straight back,no muzzle rise, and comparable to an M4 with the A2. Spent last weekend shooting, fired 520 rounds with zero malfunctions and no soreness following. Pretty effective system. </div></div>

Do you have a link for that Slash extra heavy buffer?

Those heavy buffers are 100 dollars. Wouldn't any heavy buffer be the same? If the rifles works fine why use a heavy buffer? What does a H buffer and flat spring do for a lmt mws?

Seems you could take any cheap buffer and put tungsten powder in it and have a slashes buffer.

31cuD0mjA5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Golfsmith-Tungsten-Powder-Pound/dp/B0000BYNW7

Also brownells has a tungsten buffer for 38 and a spikes for 34.

http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=EC0120

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: problemchild</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those heavy buffers are 100 dollars. Wouldn't any heavy buffer be the same? If the rifles works fine why use a heavy buffer? What does a H buffer and flat spring do for a lmt mws?

Seems you could take any cheap buffer and put tungsten powder in it and have a slashes buffer.

31cuD0mjA5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Golfsmith-Tungsten-Powder-Pound/dp/B0000BYNW7

Also brownells has a tungsten buffer for 38 and a spikes for 34.

http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=EC0120 </div></div>

He does also offer tungsten slugs that go into your std buffer, just simpily swap out the factory steel ones for his and presto heavy buffer.

doesn't really "reduce" it, but it changes the way recoil feels. you might like it or not.

i have one in an old 3gun rifle with 1500 rnds on it, mostly in matches. no problems with mine, but i have heard other reports of issues, particularly in cold weather. I also shot it a some in my FA ar15 just to see what it's like. again, no problems, but i didn't like it much in the mg.

offhand, i'd say if you like to tinker on game guns with the buffer, in combination with an adjustable gas and an aluminum bolt carrier, go for it. otherwise, skip it.

i've long been curious about rob_s' post in this thread http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=37932, but never curious enough to ask.

I have an Armalite AR-10T .308, Magpul Stock and I put one of the Enidine Hydraulic buffers in my rifle. The only reason I did was because I had another upper custom made for .450 Marlin.
This upper has an 18" ported barrel and coupled with the hydraulic buffer the recoil is negligible. It's like shooting a .243 if that.
I hope this helps.

I too was wondering about these buffers. For 90 bucks though...

I have no experience with these, but I'd imagine that a muzzle brake does a more effective job at reducing recoil, provided the extra noise doesn't bother you.

+1 for Clint at www.heavybuffers.com

I bought a SS heavy buffer from him back in 2005 for my AR10T. No problems at all. Recoil impulse is a little different, but it does "feel" better. I bought the buffer because at the time the AWB had sunset, Armalite wasn't selling their carbine AR10 buffer/ buffer tubes separate (you had to buy a whole AR10 carbine) and Slash's buffer was the only way to get an AR15 buffer tube to work on the 10.

I don't regret it ONE bit.

To stay on topic, I avoid hydraulic buffers.