• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Buffer Tube Assemblies....Questions on Accuracy Potential

bbush

Private
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2009
I am in the process of completing a accuracy AR-15 build and was down to selecting the buffer tube. I am wondering if the buffer tube assembly has any effect on the total potential accuracy of my build? In other words, will I gain anything by going with a name brand buffer (Geissele, Spikes, etc.), name brand spring (Geissele Super 42, Tubbs flat wire, JP spring, etc.), and/or name brand buffer (Spikes, Geissele, JP buffer, etc.) over a run of the mill mil-spec buffer assembly. Since this is a accuracy build, I don't mind spending the extra money to get a name brand part, but I don't see spending extra money on something that doesn't actually increase the accuracy potential any. I see a lot of comments that the name brand buffers and springs take the "twang" sound out of shooting the rifle and the recoil forces, but I was wondering if this has been everybody's experience or not. Like I said above, I am just trying to decide what I will gain by going with name brand parts in my buffer assembly. Thanks for any and all comments back.

Last edited:
I don’t know about accuracy, but you’re less likely to get out of spec garbage from a “name brand” tube. I recently sold an upper and the new owner couldn’t get it running...turned out his buffer tube was out of spec causing cycling issues.

Good components and the JP Silent Capture system has served me well. To be fair I have not measured to determine if the JP system makes a difference but I much prefer how the gun shoots with the system in place, but I figure that has to count for something even if nothing more than we shoot guns we like shooting better.