• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Buffer tube questions

jacq220

Sergeant
Minuteman
I tried a search both on here and ar15.com and couldnt find the answer... so here goes
i just picked up an ace skeleton stock with a rifle length buffer tube/buffer/spring for 40 bucks! the only problem is the rifle i have has a carbine length gas system.... will these work together? or do i need to put a carbine buffer and spring in the rifle tube? that doesnt seem like it would work either...

i guess i am wanting to know the relationship of the buffer tube/spring/buffer to the gas system... whats compatable with what?

Re: Buffer tube questions

My first AR had the cabine gas system and a rifle buffer, tube, stock and it ran like a champ.

You pretty much just have to match the buffer with what buffer tube you are running. The gas port size has as much to do with it as the gas tube length. I prefer the mid length or rifle length as they don't seem to cycle as hard.

I have had a bad experience with an over gassed carbine length that cycled so hard it destroyed the treads in the receiver where the buffer tube screws in.

Primarily you have a carbine and rifle length buffer springs. Everybody out there try's to make a better AR 15 product so you see CS springs, flat wire springs, hydraulic buffers. Rifle length buffer tubes don't need much, they always seem to run good. carbine buffers have varying weights of the buffer itself to tune how long the bolt stays locked as well as controlling cyclic rate for full autos. Rifle length buffers can have weights added (tubb) to delay the bolt unlocking. This seems to be more beneficial if you are running really hot loads or just trying to save wear and tear on brass. I'm betting with your setup you won't see any issues and will have a smooth cycling gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: van462</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Primarily you have a carbine and rifle length buffer springs. Everybody out there try's to make a better AR 15 product so you see CS springs, flat wire springs, hydraulic buffers. Rifle length buffer tubes don't need much, they always seem to run good. carbine buffers have varying weights of the buffer itself to tune how long the bolt stays locked as well as controlling cyclic rate for full autos. Rifle length buffers can have weights added (tubb) to delay the bolt unlocking. This seems to be more beneficial if you are running really hot loads or just trying to save wear and tear on brass. I'm betting with your setup you won't see any issues and will have a smooth cycling gun. </div></div>

THANKS