• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Buffer weight question using Vltor A5 tube

rdinak

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2003
Birmingham, AL
In the process of setting up an AR15 lower using the Magpul prs lite stock, Vltor A5 tube with Vltor spring and buffer. Upper will be 20”. Loads will duplicate fgmm using 69 gr SMK.

Which recoil buffer weight will be good starting point? This is my first build using an A5 setup.

Last edited:
Are you running a heavy m16 carrier ?
If so the standard weight H1 they ship with their kit.
Good choice with A5 I ran the EMOD setup for years in my Mk12 Mod 0 …….with the JP rifle polished spring .
With the Rifle length gas system.

Last edited:
My default with a regular spring and full auto carrier is the A5H2, but I prefer the A5H3 if your sticking with full power 556 loads.

@Clayman is spot on. Generally, I run a Sprinco Green spring with an A5H2 but do run A5H1 on some of my properly gassed rifles. So to answer your question it depends on how gassy the barrel is. My gut tells me with a 20" barrel a A5H1 is probably the way to go.

@Clayman is spot on. Generally, I run a Sprinco Green spring with an A5H2 but do run A5H1 on some of my properly gassed rifles. So to answer your question it depends on how gassy the barrel is. My gut tells me with a 20" barrel a A5H1 is probably the way to go.
I overlooked the 20" barrel. In that case I agree with A5H1

Reactions: Alaska
No suppressor. Have springco green springs in the tool box. Rifle is gassed perfectly based on function and ejection patterns using A2 stock and original spring. Have tested with 55,69 and 77.

Goal is improved cheek weld off the bench using scope.

In the process of setting up an AR15 lower using the Magpul prs lite stock, Vltor A5 tube with Vltor spring and buffer. Upper will be 20”. Loads will duplicate fgmm using 69 gr SMK.

Which recoil buffer weight will be good starting point? This is my first build using an A5 setup.
I like the H3 with a can.