• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

buffer weights

Re: buffer weights

The difference in buffer weights came into play with the advent of shortened barrels in carbine applications where gas is tapped closer to the breach with correspondingly greater pressures. The premise is to slow the opening of the action and therefore "time" the opening and closing so that the extractor is not pulling against a still expanded case and so the BCG inertia would be closer to its normal operating parameters. Typically the carbine buffers will be marked as H1, 2, and 3 and have increasing weights. The same can be done with rifle type assemblies using the carrier weights sold by Tubb under Superior Shooting Systems. This approach is typically more forgiving of high and low power loads than running a reduced weight BCG and tuning the recoil spring.It will however be higher in weight and will neither shoot as fast or be driven to target as easily.

Well said Toolmakr. I like to run H2 on my SBR AR-15 with suppressor. Its help slow down the BCG and reduced recoil. I think the longer dwell time helps the accuracy too.

Heavybuffers.com also have various weights.

I usually run their 10oz buffer in my .308 rifle length systems, and their carbine buffer for anything carbine length or middy.

So my rifle has a 14.5" barrel with mid-length gas system, should I stick with the standard weight or bump it up a bit?

Thanks!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EricM40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So my rifle has a 14.5" barrel with mid-length gas system, should I stick with the standard weight or bump it up a bit?

Thanks!!</div></div>
Only change it if you are having a problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smschulz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EricM40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So my rifle has a 14.5" barrel with mid-length gas system, should I stick with the standard weight or bump it up a bit?

Thanks!!</div></div>
Only change it if you are having a problem.
</div></div>

What he said with the caveat: if you are running a suppressor the heaviest buffer that will reliably operate unsuppressed is probably a good idea. Regardless of marketing bull shit all suppressors increase back pressure and bolt speed somewhat.

Ok thanks guys! I'm building my rifle from scratch, so thanks for the advice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griffin Armament</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> if you are running a suppressor the heaviest buffer that will reliably operate unsuppressed is probably a good idea. Regardless of marketing bull shit all suppressors increase back pressure and bolt speed somewhat.</div></div>
+1 I run 6 tungsten weights and a wolf XP spring in my 7.62 LMT w/ rifle length buffer, it keeps the 16" suppressed beast from slamming backward.

Why not install a adjustable gas block? This will take care of any over gassed problems and really smooths out the recoil impulse. I will not own a DI AR without one.

Take care,Stan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARNEWB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Heavybuffers.com also have various weights.

I usually run their 10oz buffer in my .308 rifle length systems, and their carbine buffer for anything carbine length or middy. </div></div>Curious how you tested to find the 10oz buffer to be optimum. Just switched to a rifle length .308 system and am starting with a stock buffer.

Edit: From lack of response(s) I take it the process was a phone call and going with Slash's recommendation. I am fine with that of course, the man knows buffers. I went with a JP adjustable gas block, worked great on a .308 carbine length system.