• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Bug Out Bag check

Friday

The Hay King
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2018
Northern Nevada
In these trying times in our country I figured I would double check my BOB make sure I have everything I need. I would like input on what others have that I don’t to see if it is something I feel would be useful.

My B.O.B contents
For drinking
Canteen
Sawyer mini purification system
Potable Aqua germicidal tabs
Stanley flask for my whiskey haha
Bag of Coffee

Food I have
Protein bars
Salt
Pepper
Cayenne

For med
Basic first aid kit
Iosat tabs
Penicillin
Aspirin
Ibuprofen
Tylenol
Rolaids
Anti diarrhea
Multi vitamin

For supplies I have
TP
Dry clothes
Personal Hygiene supplies
Beeswax candles
Trioxane compressed fuel
Water proof matches
Aviation survival spark-lite
Slow burn tinder sticks
Mezonn emergency sleeping bag
7 strand utility cord
Fiskars x7 Hatchet
Foldable shovel
Leatherman Mut
Compass
Weatherproof notebook
Luci mpowered solar lamp
Maglight
Stanley French press
Stanley prep and cook set
Stainless mess kit
Bore snake for .223
Solar charge bank
2 20 round Pmags for my AR
Spare mags for my M9A3
Some nails
A small can of WD-40
Outdoor edge knife
Hunters specialties field dressing gloves
Emergency thermal blankets

Last edited:
I used to have one in my primary vehicle years ago, which included a Valmet 76 (5.56) and a 200-round sealed battle pack. I realized I needed to downsize in case I ran into problems where I had to abandon the vehicle. I have the pack, firearm's, survival gear, etc. Just need to get organized and put it together.

Reactions: Friday
What’s your desired survival time with this kit, or are you planning to beat feet to the nearest wilderness and start over? Do you have a location in mind that your heading to? I would personally take out the toilet paper and other comfort items and certainly add some maps, a quadrant of your normal AO, a quadrant for where you’re headed, maybe some along the way, road maps are also good to have. The toilet paper won’t last long and there are leaves or discarded paper almost everywhere. Add a shit load of dry socks in waterproof packaging.

A compass is great to have and you can always get back to where you started with only a compass but a map and compass will get you where you WANT to be.

I would keep your ammo with or near your rifle in a separate grab bag with a chest rig or your preferred carrier system, Ammo isn’t good without a weapon and vice versa. Then again I keep a few boxes of ammo for a rifle and pistol in the car and several loaded mags. Maybe throw a blowout kit in with this as well. Might throw in some spare parts too, a spare BCG and lube would go a long way if you carry an AR.

hand sanitizer is a good long burning fire starter in the rain and it can be used as a low grade antiseptic. Also bic lighters, everybody acts like they are useless in a survival situation but they have a good 150 fires in them if used sparingly and after that the frizen/striker wheel still sparks for a long time if you pull off the shroud, they can still get tinder lit long after they’re out of fuel. I keep one in my pocket at all times and I have a lighter and Silva compass in each jacket pocket that I wear.

id personally ditch the toilet paper, hygiene, and most of the coffee/cooking gear, instant coffee does fine in a pinch and it’s a lot lighter, fits great in a first aid kit and you’re going to run out quick anyway. A good stainless single wall water bottle and nesting pot will cover most of your cooking needs and I’d rather use that space and weight for a decent camping tarp and a pry bar. The salt is a good idea to add, very useful stuff.

I use to have a bug out bag with all sorts of gear and supplies in it and it weighed about 30 pounds, I started over after doing a about a 20 mile pack trip with it in the mountains. Now my pack weighs a lot less, and I can move a lot faster. Whatever you determine your priorities are, take a long hike with your gear and camp with it for a week, and then make an honest assessment Of what you used and what you could have used.

Thank you I will add in a couple different maps my pack right now is 20lbs I’ll take all into consideration I really thought about throwing a good pair of cargo pants in it to where when you leave you can find a spot and take some of the things that make the pack heavy and put them in some of the pockets on your cargo pants to distribute the weight across your body.

Tourniquet

An old school "Mag Light" is heavy and does not last as long as a current LED light.

If your WD-40 is in an aerosol can, you might save some space with a non-aerosol bottle. WD may not be as good of a choice as some Remington oil or something similar.

I would add steel and flint and learn how to start a fire with it.

Last edited:
Tourniquet

An old school "Mag Light" is heavy and does not last as long as a current LED light.

If your WD-40 is in an aerosol can, you might save some space with a non-aerosol bottle. WD may not be as good of a choice as some Remington oil or something similar.

I would add steel and flint and learn how to start a fire with it.

I do have LED mag light, WD is a 3oz can no room taken really.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
This feels more like a Bug-In Bag. You need way more specific things in this to be a bug-out bag. I've added notes below as if this were a bug-in bag to get you home. For a Bug-out bag, you have things in here that are not necessary that waste space and weight, and you are missing very specific and important things that need to be there. If you want a bug-out bag, you need to pay way more attention to technical clothing, shelter, water, and food, all of which are heinously neglected in this list.

My B.O.B contents
For drinking
Canteen - Just one? Stainless steel so you can boil in it? Water bladder, spare dromedary bag, anything else?
Sawyer mini purification system - only useful if you have a way to filter into your bottle. The drink-through-the-straw style filters are almost useless
Potable Aqua germicidal tabs - work great
Stanley flask for my whiskey haha - you don't need whiskey, this isn't a vacation
Bag of Coffee - not a vacation, ditch it until you've got everything else sorted and you're sure you want it. Coffee before whiskey. Alert before drunk.

Food I have
Protein bars - Good for on-the-go nutrition
Salt - don't need if you don't have food to put it on
Pepper - don't need if you don't have food to put it on
Cayenne - don't need if you don't have food to put it on
*Add real food. SOS Rations are great for the simplest form of daily nutrition, with Mountain House Pro meals being an easy real meal option.

For med
Basic first aid kit - Bandaids, or tourniquets and combat gauze? Most basic first aid kits are a waste of space and weight. They're for boo-boos that won't kill you. Carry real medical supplies that keep you from dying or becoming immobilized.
Iosat tabs
Penicillin - How? Fish penicillin? Do you know how to use?
Aspirin
Ibuprofen
Tylenol - Of the above three, you should only need Ibuprofen
Rolaids - Why?
Anti diarrhea - Good. Immodium is a healthy decision.
Multi vitamin - Why? Carry good food.

For supplies I have
TP - The 11th Essential.
Dry clothes - Of everything listed so far this might be the most important. What defines dry, are they in a dry bag? What kind of clothes? These should be a pair of technical fast-drying pants, a fast-drying synthetic shirt, one or two pairs of good socks intended to fit the shoes you'll wear, and a jacket that will be warm when wet and dry quickly.
Beeswax candles
Trioxane compressed fuel
Water proof matches
Slow burn tinder sticks
Mezonn emergency sleeping bag - The 3rd most important thing in this list, after clothing and water, is shelter. Is this some chinese cheap-o sleeping bag? Shelter is what keeps you from dying at night or being uselessly tired during the day. Have good shelter. Your clothing is part of your shelter. Tent, or tarp, and a high quality sleeping bag with synthetic fill, and optionally a small sleeping pad.
7 strand utility cord -
Fiskars x7 Hatchet
Foldable shovel
Leatherman Mut
Compass
Weatherproof notebook - Bring a mechanical pencil too
Luci mpowered solar lamp
Maglight
Stanley French press - Again coffee is the last thing to worry about, if you want it
Stanley prep and cook set - Be critical of your choice of weight and space provided to cooking kit. A stainless pot for boiling water and cooking over open fire is very useful. It's easy to bring too much gear for cooking with.
Stainless mess kit
Bore snake for .223
Solar charge bank
Spare mags for my M9A3
Some nails
A small can of WD-40 - Why?
Outdoor edge knife

Add:
- Headlamp w/ spare batteries
- Beanie
- Maybe a jetboil and fuel instead of trioxane and cooking kit
- Cash money

Thank you I will add in a couple different maps my pack right now is 20lbs I’ll take all into consideration I really thought about throwing a good pair of cargo pants in it to where when you leave you can find a spot and take some of the things that make the pack heavy and put them in some of the pockets on your cargo pants to distribute the weight across your body.
This is the opposite of what is useful. Humans move best with their added weight carried on their hips and shoulders. Don't move it anywhere else. Added to the legs burns energy a lot faster. The hips are the most stable point. Keep weight in the pack. Also, cargo pants are overrated. I'm not against them but they aren't really doing much but adding weight and reducing moisture evaporation.

This feels more like a Bug-In Bag. You need way more specific things in this to be a bug-out bag. I've added notes below as if this were a bug-in bag to get you home. For a Bug-out bag, you have things in here that are not necessary that waste space and weight, and you are missing very specific and important things that need to be there. If you want a bug-out bag, you need to pay way more attention to technical clothing, shelter, water, and food, all of which are heinously neglected in this list.

My B.O.B contents
For drinking
Canteen - Just one? Stainless steel so you can boil in it? Water bladder, spare dromedary bag, anything else?
Sawyer mini purification system - only useful if you have a way to filter into your bottle. The drink-through-the-straw style filters are almost useless
Potable Aqua germicidal tabs - work great
Stanley flask for my whiskey haha - you don't need whiskey, this isn't a vacation
Bag of Coffee - not a vacation, ditch it until you've got everything else sorted and you're sure you want it. Coffee before whiskey. Alert before drunk.

Food I have
Protein bars - Good for on-the-go nutrition
Salt - don't need if you don't have food to put it on
Pepper - don't need if you don't have food to put it on
Cayenne - don't need if you don't have food to put it on
*Add real food. SOS Rations are great for the simplest form of daily nutrition, with Mountain House Pro meals being an easy real meal option.

For med
Basic first aid kit - Bandaids, or tourniquets and combat gauze? Most basic first aid kits are a waste of space and weight. They're for boo-boos that won't kill you. Carry real medical supplies that keep you from dying or becoming immobilized.
Iosat tabs
Penicillin - How? Fish penicillin? Do you know how to use?
Aspirin
Ibuprofen
Tylenol - Of the above three, you should only need Ibuprofen
Rolaids - Why?
Anti diarrhea - Good. Immodium is a healthy decision.
Multi vitamin - Why? Carry good food.

For supplies I have
TP - The 11th Essential.
Dry clothes - Of everything listed so far this might be the most important. What defines dry, are they in a dry bag? What kind of clothes? These should be a pair of technical fast-drying pants, a fast-drying synthetic shirt, one or two pairs of good socks intended to fit the shoes you'll wear, and a jacket that will be warm when wet and dry quickly.
Beeswax candles
Trioxane compressed fuel
Water proof matches
Slow burn tinder sticks
Mezonn emergency sleeping bag - The 3rd most important thing in this list, after clothing and water, is shelter. Is this some chinese cheap-o sleeping bag? Shelter is what keeps you from dying at night or being uselessly tired during the day. Have good shelter. Your clothing is part of your shelter. Tent, or tarp, and a high quality sleeping bag with synthetic fill, and optionally a small sleeping pad.
7 strand utility cord -
Fiskars x7 Hatchet
Foldable shovel
Leatherman Mut
Compass
Weatherproof notebook - Bring a mechanical pencil too
Luci mpowered solar lamp
Maglight
Stanley French press - Again coffee is the last thing to worry about, if you want it
Stanley prep and cook set - Be critical of your choice of weight and space provided to cooking kit. A stainless pot for boiling water and cooking over open fire is very useful. It's easy to bring too much gear for cooking with.
Stainless mess kit
Bore snake for .223
Solar charge bank
Spare mags for my M9A3
Some nails
A small can of WD-40 - Why?
Outdoor edge knife

Add:
- Headlamp w/ spare batteries
- Beanie
- Maybe a jetboil and fuel instead of trioxane and cooking kit
- Cash money

If you’re going to have him carry a real medkit/ifak then all 3 pills have their use. Ibuprofen or any other nsaid will thin blood, countering the possible attempt to clot blood and stop bleeding. Tylenol is a analgesic. Is doesn’t have that contraindication. Aspirin, also a nsaid, might be for a heart condition or whatever. Also it’s not as harsh on a empty tummy.

This is why I hate these threads. Half these threads involve carry things not even conducive to backpacking or even real camping for that matter. Let alone some cross country apocalypse “bug out” scenario.

Last edited:
It would be helpful if you could define what your goal is. You don’t really have to list specifics, just something like get from the city to my home, 60 miles through woods or 10 miles through suburban streets. A get home bag will likely be a lot smaller and lighter with less stuff in it than an apocalypse survival pack to walk 50 miles to some predetermined bugout point, the get home bag is probably a more realistic approach for most situations.

I work about 17 miles from home with a lot of creeks and rivers along the way, my personal preference is to carry about a weeks worth of food and water and some tools in the car and a small get home bag that stays close by me most of the time I’m at work. The scenario I’m most concerned about Is flood waters cutting off my route home and having to wait it out in a parking lot, or a dead vehicle for one reason or another. I’ve had to deal with a flood before and it was a reasonably comfortable car camping experience, I’ve also had to replace the alternator and serpentine belt on a church van in a parking lot with a bunch of kids standing around waiting to get back into the AC due to neglected maintenance on a vehicle I didn’t own. We all like to put a lot of stock in these end of the world scenarios and the recent riots and random coordinated violence in big cities doesn’t help that, but the more realistic stuff to prepare for are shelter in place events for severe weather or highly politicized virus outbreaks.

I would agree with those saying not to carry much in cargo pockets for long periods of time, very uncomfortable and chafes a lot. Can be useful for short trips but for me they always seem to snag on stuff, same with hammer loops.

A couple suggestions:

- tourniquets. Have a couple.

- 4 way water key - gets you access to hose bibs on the exterior of buildings

- Channel locks.(6” knipex cobras). Weigh basically nothing and I use mine every single day. leathermans are great in general but they really suck at removing fasteners.

- Lock tools. A Peterson pry bar and a Bogata rake will get you into most common locks surprisingly easy. Buy a kwikset deadbolt and practice on the couch. padlock shims are a good idea too.

- Cash. $40 can solve a lot of problems.

If you’re going to have him carry a real medkit/ifak then all 3 pills have their use. Ibuprofen or any other nsaid will thin blood, countering the possible attempt to clot blood and stop bleeding. Tylenol is a analgesic. Is doesn’t have that contraindication. Aspirin, also a nsaid, might be for a heart condition or whatever. Also it’s not as harsh on a empty tummy.

This is why I hate these threads. Half these threads involve carry things not even conducive to backpacking or even real camping for that matter. Let alone some cross country apocalypse “bug out” scenario.

actually:

Ibuprofen is not a blood thinner, but it does slow down clot time

actually when aspirin and ibuprofen/advil are taken together, the advil reduces the blood thinning effectiveness of aspirin

this was found during studies with older people with heat issues; while they were taking ibuprofen for arthritic pains

of the 3 aspirin is the most harsh on the stomach...thats why they make them enteric coated (dissolves further down the digestive tract)

if aspirin wasnt grandfathered in for so long it might be under prescription because of the toxicity to the body

most important of all is the duration your looking at to bug out

if you are taking a serious script (blood thinner, MS meds etc) you most likely only have 3 months supply at most on hand.

after those pills are gone and the pharmacies are shut down, you have bigger issues than how much ammo to carry

...resident pill guy..

actually:

actually when aspirin and ibuprofen/advil are taken together, the advil reduces the blood thinning effectiveness of aspirin

this was found during studies with older people with heat issues; while they were taking ibuprofen for arthritic pains

of the 3 aspirin is the most harsh on the stomach...thats why they make them enteric coated (dissolves further down the digestive tract)

if aspirin wasnt grandfathered in for so long it might be under prescription because of the toxicity to the body

if you are taking a serious script (blood thinner, MS meds etc) you most likely only have 3 months supply at most on hand.

after those pills are gone and the pharmacies are shut down, you have bigger issues than how much ammo to carry

...resident pill guy..
What would you carry? If its something prescription like an antibiotic, could an average guy get it?

the best you could do is get some Z-packs

thats broad spectrum stuff, and in the blister cards they last longer than ones in the brown bottle

you can buy online, and most of it is ok for bug out bag stuff

if i had "cancer"...not so much

alot of the online stuff is product that failed in the lab 89% potency rather than the 90-100% of label claim etc
or
imports form other countries, which is usually good quality

could be short expiration date as well, its verrry hard to get those types of raw materials with out the licenses

important thing is that what ever med you buy check the adverse reactions when its past expiration date

some products like tylenol last forever, they just get weaker

Vicodin/pain meds last a long time as well

others become totally useless, and some cause other issues

actually:

...resident pill guy..

Your right but the majority of these people on here don’t know the difference between a true anticoagulant and a anti-platelet, which is what a NSAID is. The over all points was made to not make it harder to stop bleeding.

If Advil and aspirin are taken together, they still are not good enough to help with proper clotting.

The harshness is dependent. A full dose of aspirin vs low dose Advi? Yeah the Advil. But a baby aspirin? People take these for years on end. It wasn’t until like earlier this year the AHA/ACC made some changes to the recommendations of aspirin for the >70 crowd, past that, low dose aspirin is still used on a on a daily basis for some.

the best you could do is get some Z-packs

thats broad spectrum stuff, and in the blister cards they last longer than ones in the brown bottle

you can buy online, and most of it is ok for bug out bag stuff

if i had "cancer"...not so much

alot of the online stuff is product that failed in the lab 89% potency rather than the 90-100% of label claim etc
or
imports form other countries, which is usually good quality

could be short expiration date as well, its verrry hard to get those types of raw materials with out the licenses

important thing is that what ever med you buy check the adverse reactions when its past expiration date

some products like tylenol last forever, they just get weaker

Vicodin/pain meds last a long time as well

others become totally useless, and some cause other issues
How would you recommend getting that stuff like the Z-pack? That is prescription, correct?

Only thing I can ad to this is epipens and seasonal allergy medicine. I work outside and I always have my pens and claritin with me.

A roll of white hockey tape makes a bad ass band aid, splint for a sprain, tape guaze over a blister on your foot, or for gear repair. Electrical tape and duct tape suck. If you can, get Renfrew brand not the shitty howie's or a&r. Why white? I dunno, for some reason it doesn't leave as much residue on the skin and stays in place better. It might feel a bit tight but it will break in and you can have it on for 12+ hours. Black is too sticky, the colors (red, orange, skull, american flag, yellow, etc) aren't durable enough. I've been cut, stabbed, scraped, chunks of meat taken out my body over the years that I can say I have pretty good experience in none life/limb threatening injuries.

Goodness this turned into a great thread! Thank you for all the perspectives!! I seen a few questions I feel I should address

The first one that I have seen is where am I going to be bugging out to? Well simply put in a real bad situation I am going to try to get home. Most of my situations I really only end up within 50 miles as the crow flys to get home any farther than that and I will be looking to get to the nearest destination to help me get home. In the event that for whatever odd reason I need to leave home I have picked strategic locations that I would go to to survive for a week or two. Lots of small game fresh water etc.

the other questions were why do I have penicillin, rolaids, multivitamins,whiskey, and we-40

penicillin- if something were To happen to get wounded deep enough that the risk of an infection could be started due to being outside in the wilderness dirt, would it not be wise to start taking these until you can get it looked at if the wound starts getting infected?

rolaids These kind of go along the lines of anti diarrhea, these would be if you started getting heartburn that can hinder your physical performance,

multi vitamins- you never know how long your going to be out and what your going to have to survive on I figured these are a safe touch.

Whiskey, could be used to disinfect. And start a fire
WD-40 just in case you get water or lots of mud in your rifle you could hose it down to keep it performing.

As for a stainless pot the Stanley camp prep kit is a stainless pot and all the utinsils fit inside it, pretty cool and very light wieght.

I also keep money and a pack if cigarettes, for bartering purposes, never know may take a pack of smokes for a ride to town!

thank you guys for the input!!

A couple suggestions:

- tourniquets. Have a couple.

- 4 way water key - gets you access to hose bibs on the exterior of buildings

- Channel locks.(6” knipex cobras). Weigh basically nothing and I use mine every single day. leathermans are great in general but they really suck at removing fasteners.

- Lock tools. A Peterson pry bar and a Bogata rake will get you into most common locks surprisingly easy. Buy a kwikset deadbolt and practice on the couch. padlock shims are a good idea too.

- Cash. $40 can solve a lot of problems.
So you apply a TQ to yourself. Then what? You may as well be dead already if you don’t have friends to carry you to a nearby doctor if you need a TQ. And “a couple”? FFS, I can see two for a leg but beyond that how are you gonna apply them? Then go back to point one. TQ’s are not a life saving devices, they are a life preserving device.

Last edited:
Goodness this turned into a great thread! Thank you for all the perspectives!! I seen a few questions I feel I should address

The first one that I have seen is where am I going to be bugging out to? Well simply put in a real bad situation I am going to try to get home. Most of my situations I really only end up within 50 miles as the crow flys to get home any farther than that and I will be looking to get to the nearest destination to help me get home. In the event that for whatever odd reason I need to leave home I have picked strategic locations that I would go to to survive for a week or two. Lots of small game fresh water etc.

the other questions were why do I have penicillin, rolaids, multivitamins,whiskey, and we-40

penicillin- if something were To happen to get wounded deep enough that the risk of an infection could be started due to being outside in the wilderness dirt, would it not be wise to start taking these until you can get it looked at if the wound starts getting infected?

rolaids These kind of go along the lines of anti diarrhea, these would be if you started getting heartburn that can hinder your physical performance,

multi vitamins- you never know how long your going to be out and what your going to have to survive on I figured these are a safe touch.

WD-40 just in case you get water or lots of mud in your rifle you could hose it down to keep it performing.

As for a stainless pot the Stanley camp prep kit is a stainless pot and all the utinsils fit inside it, pretty cool and very light wieght.

I also keep money and a pack if cigarettes, for bartering purposes, never know may take a pack of smokes for a ride to town!

No on antibiotics. I’m going to say don’t play with things you don’t know about or risk making your bad day worst. Aside from the need of possible proper storage, pen is just one class of antibiotic. Its used to treat gram positive bacterial infections an is in the beta lactum category, although they Azithromycin is active against some positive and negatives. Hence why it’s referred to as a broad spectrum antibiotics. My overall point is you should just get a booboo and through antibiotics at it. And it if you do, you should use a broad spectrum: If you have a drippy dick, then make sure you have the right antibiotic for the right drip. Granted you won’t hurt your self by taking the wrong thing immediately, you risk making said infection worst and harder to treat in the long run.

Reactions: sea2summit

This helps a lot to get after what you might need. Next, what type of terrain? What is your fitness level? How seasonal is the weather?

I can tell you right now if I had to walk 50 miles as the crow flies I would not carry a French press, hatchet, mess kit, solar light, multiple knives, pepper. My med kit would have more blister treatment capabilities (needle, thread, molskin if it works for you, etc), a bunch of socks and suitable boots/shoes, and more than a single canteen unless I’m garunteed water every mile or two and two would be pushing it.

The other thing you don't need is any firearm cleaning stuff, unless your packing an old bolt rifle and corrosive ammo. If you're firearm needs regular cleaning to reliably function, I would choose something more reliable.

The other thing you don't need is any firearm cleaning stuff, unless your packing an old bolt rifle and corrosive ammo. If you're firearm needs regular cleaning to reliably function, I would choose something more reliable.
50 miles is potentially five to seven days, might be good to be able to get the mud and grime off any weapon but I’m pretty boomer and maybe you’re new fangled poly guns never rust, get dirty or have shit stick to them...but that’s not been my experience ;)

I would do a cleaning kit. I used to do 10k run n guns and you would hear all the time about guns going down because of mud jamming them up. Only takes on slip down a muddy slope. How many of us have been out hunting and eaten shit down a muddy hill?

So what happens when the unexpected happens and you take a digger and pack your weapon full of shit? That’s why I have a bore snake and wd, do I think bore snakes are worth a fuck? No I do not but if I had to run something down my barrel I know a bore snake will get all debri capable of causing a bad problem out and wd also not my top choice for gun lube but it also doesn’t hurt them.

Reactions: sea2summit
So, if you're barrel is jammed full of mud (16" AR platform), how are you going to get the boresnake down the barrel? I would just go with a plastic cap over the flash hider to prevent mud, water, etc getting in the bore. As far as pistols, I can find a stick that will dislodge most things out of the bore.

I guess I'm looking more at this as a get home bag with what you can carry scenario, than a end of the world, survive with what you have scenario.

Last edited:
So, if you're barrel is jammed full of mud (16" AR platform), how are you going to get the boresnake down the barrel? I would just go with a plastic cap over the flash hider to prevent mud, water, etc getting in the bore. As far as pistols, I can find a stick that will dislodge most things out of the bore.

I guess I'm looking more at this as a get home bag scenario, than a end of the world, survive with what you have scenario.
Concur, but I’d still carry a cleaning/maint kit of some kind.

4F43C00F-B962-46E5-A5A5-A5C4B67D579B.jpeg

91E33723-6EA7-41B0-A6F5-AECC49BBAEFF.jpeg

Reactions: Alpine 338
Another thing I've often considered and thought about is having a cache or stash of things hidden in area's I often visit. I know it wouldn't be cost effective for many, but you could still have some basic low cost stuff like rations, ammo, extra clothes stashed at a friend or family members home in another location.

One of my thoughts was to hide some supplies at certain points between the big city and home. Stuff that would fit in a dry box, ammo can, plastic tube, and hidden along a common route. For my area, the only problem would be Winter, as we get snow measured in feet, and it would be hard to recover something buried under 4 -feet of snow.

Concur, but I’d still carry a cleaning/maint kit of some kind.

View attachment 7419884
View attachment 7419885

It doesn't weigh hardly anything, but I have a Teflon coated fiberglass rod that's very flexible coiled up around the inside of my pack that I use for matches. I've never had a need for it, but have deployed it many times to help fellow competitor's get a stuck case out of their chamber.

What it is, is a reinforcement rod (aka FRP) that is in the inside of fiber optic cable. I attended a fiber optic splicing and certification course years ago, and salvaged a few pieces from the class. This is the type of fiber optic cable that is strung up (aerial applications) between poles, or sometimes direct buried.

Last edited:
In these trying times in our country I figured I would double check my BOB make sure I have everything I need. I would like input on what others have that I don’t to see if it is something I feel would be useful.

My B.O.B contents
For drinking
Canteen
Sawyer mini purification system
Potable Aqua germicidal tabs
Stanley flask for my whiskey haha
Bag of Coffee

Food I have
Protein bars
Salt
Pepper
Cayenne

For med
Basic first aid kit
Iosat tabs
Penicillin
Aspirin
Ibuprofen
Tylenol
Rolaids
Anti diarrhea
Multi vitamin
at a TQ and compressed gauze

For supplies I have
TP
Dry clothes
Beeswax candles

Trioxane compressed fuel
Water proof matches replace with bic lighter
Slow burn tinder sticks

Mezonn emergency sleeping bag
7 strand utility cord
Fiskars x7 Hatchet
Foldable shovel
Leatherman Mut
Compass
Weatherproof notebook
Luci mpowered solar lamp
Maglight
replace with something smaller and lighter and more powerful
Stanley French press
Stanley prep and cook set
Stainless mess kit

Bore snake for .223
Solar charge bank
Spare mags for my M9A3
Some nails
A small can of WD-40

Outdoor edge knife

kit looks fine when you remove 1/2 the shit from it.

Reactions: Snipe260
I agree with the consensus of the group. I did not see honey on the list. Its has solid medicinal uses as well as a good food source. I also swapped out wd-40 and rem oil for straight 30w motor oil. Great protectant, lubricant and easily found and budget friendly. With little effort can be broken down into smaller quantities for packs, etc. Can be used for fire starting, signaling, etc. as well