• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bug out bag

rubar01

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2010
Luling, Louisiana
I know this topic has been covered in the past, I have put my bag together. Look it over and let me know if I have left anything out, if I dont need something, or if I should swap something out. This is for a family of 3. I know this is long.

Equipment:
1 Blast Match or Fire Steel
2 Box of Deep Woods Off wipes
2 Small Syringe
2 Aquamira "Frontier" Emergency Water System
1 Tree Saw
2 100' Para cord
2 50' Para cord
2 Sewing needles
1 Fishing kit
1 50' X 50lb. fishing line
1 100yd X 20lb. fishing line
1 Backpack
1 Fixed blade knife
1 Razor knife
1 Sharpening stone
1 Compass
1 Small Binoculars
3 Steel wool
1 Multi-tool
3 Clear ponchos
4 Snack bags
4 Quart bags
4 Gallon bags
2 Small Flashlights
2 sets of batteries - per flashlight
2 Extra bulbs - per flashlight
1 Small mirror
3 Emergency Blankets
3 Small waterproof pouchs
2 Extra shoe laces - per person
1 Roll of Duck tape
2 Small soft cases
12 Chem lights
2 Canteens - per person
1 Hydration bladder
4 100 hr. candles
24" X 24" Tin foil
2 Bandanas - per person
2 pair socks - per person
1 Extra change of cloths - per person
1 Hat per person
1 Jacket per person
1 12' X 12' Tarp
1 Shovel
1 Ax
1 Pistol - per adult
100 rounds - per pistol
1 Roll of Electrical tape
1 Small socket set
1 Small allen set
1 Small hammer
1 Multi tip screwdriver
1 Small adjustable wrench
1 Caliber specific cleaning kit
1 Silverware per preson
1 pair of gloves - per person
3 hand/foot warmers
1 can opener
1 Pepper Spray
1 Medium - Waterproof bag

First Aid Kit
50 Misc band-aids with neosporin
2 Small hand sanitizers
1 anti-microbial soap
16 4X4 sponges
16 3X3 sponges
8 4X4 Tefa pads
8 3X3 Tefa pads
3 Large wound dressings
8 Super absorbent tampons
4 Heavy absorbent pads
16 Betadine wipes
1 Neosporin Ointment
10 Triple Antibiotic - single use
1 Small Iodine
1 Small Peroxide
1 Small Alcohol
2 2" X 4 ft. ace bandages
2 3" X 4 ft. ace bandages
3 Sterri strip packs
3 Suture sets
1 roll of cloth tape
1 roll of surgical tape
10 Antiseptic wipes
1 Small pack baby wipes
10 Benadryl Tabs
10 Imodium Tabs
10 Asprine
10 Ibuprofen
1 tube burn cream
2 insta cold pac
2 insta hot pac
1 Eye drops
1 Tweezers
2 FInger splints
1 Arm Splint
4 Ammonia inhalant
2 packs of misc. moleskin sizes
1 Foot powder
1 3' X 1/4" clear tubing
10 Cotton balls
10 Q-tips
1 Small Magnification glass
1 nail clippers
1 nail file
3 Eye patches
1 Small bandage scissors
1 Medic scissors
4 single use thermometers
1 ole time therometer
2 p-100 mask - per person
1 Small Clove oil
1 Small sunscreen
1 Boudreaux butt paste
1 BP cuff
10 Children's tylenol melt-a-ways
10 Childern's Ibuprofen melt-a-ways
10 Allergy medicine
1 Super glue
3 Water purification tabs
25 Small medicine pouches
1 pack clear sewing thread
2 25g blood clot
1 box charcoal caps

Any medicine you are on - Minimum 4 day supply

Thanks for looking!

Re: Bug out bag

What are you bugging out from? Depending on factors like your situation, threat, terrain, climate, and other civil factors should dictate what you need in your kit. I've learned a thing or two about survival in just about any environment and I can't get into specifics but you will save a lot of space and weight if you go primitive on some things. For example, people pack bug out tents in their kit, this is unnecessary when a poncho and para cord will keep you just as dry and if you insulated the edges with duff and make a duff mattress to keep you body off the ground, you will be toasty. I've slept for 4 days in one in the middle of winter wearing just ACUs and actually had to strip down because I was starting to sweat. As far as what you have now, looks good but heavy. I personally would add some dryer lint or stale fritos for tinder. Lint is free. And some petroleum gauze- fold it in half and cut a small hole in the foil and pulls little out and light it. It works as a candle and burns for hours, can be used to start fires so you don't waste your flint and Mag and its nearly effortless. You can also tie off the hood of a poncho and cover a few people and in about 5 min. They will come out sweating. Ponchos and dry leaves/pine needles can also be used to build rafts. Just my .02, give me some more details on your situation (or worst case scenario) and I can try to give you a better idea.

Casey D. I went 3 weeks with out power after Katerina. Damaged Housing, 2 weeks after Ike. Just trying to cover as much as possible. I probablly over thought it! Just trying not to leave anything out.

It looks like a pretty good list. I understand why you would want that for the area you live in. I've been there working at Waterford and it's a very low lying area.

Visa or Mastercard.
grin.gif

Ok well that changes things. Yeah your list is pretty extensive and should cover about anything that you would need to at least get somewhere or set up camp in a damaged structure. Start stockpiling MRE's from surplus stores, they'll do in a pinch and they never go bad. Maybe some cheap motorcycle helmets like the halfshell type could come in handy during an event like that. I have mine for tornados here in SE Alabama.

I think that is more than one bag...

To be honest, a bug out bag will only be taking you a short distance to your main supply and hole up area...whatever that is. Bugging out is getting the fuck out of somewhere fast...not carrying a house.

I think this is more of a "set up fort, batten down the hatches, and survive in the homestead" bag or kit based on the situation discussed earlier. I've got one similar at my house and in storage with a small bag to get off the grid for a few days. I never intend to used it but hey crazier shit has happened...

The list is very complete, and the only critcism I might consider making is that single-use packaging means extra bulk/weight, and potentially leaves a trail that could be followed. "Leave no trace" isn't just about being tidy.

More importantly, my own view would be that if you seriously believe you'll need such a complete store of goods, it might pay to choose a destination in advance and preposition the majority of the long term survival items there, then set up a bugout bag with the merest essentials needed to assure the quickest trek. If you have travel in mind, the key attribute of any loadout should be mobility. If two MRE's won't sustain the trek, maybe you're planning on going too far.

Further, once bitten, twice shy, twice biiten, what were you thinking? If you've already experienced devastation twice, maybe the better approach would be to relocate. Just a thought...

Greg

I don't see tenga eggs in your list, 2 per person should suffice if you reuse them

i didn't see sherpas on your list to haul that big ass bag. comprehensive list though, thanks.

Thanks to all that have reviewed and repled. I know this a lot of stuff to put into a bag, however the total weight is 34.5 lbs. without water in the hydration bladder. I didn't think that would be considered too heavy.

You have been through it before so are you bugging out or rooting in, if or when it comes again? Me I am rooting unless its really that dire.

I do not think there is a right or wrong way to put together a bag or root.

I would get some food and water stores in my house, multiple areas in water tight, crush proof, high vis containers.

Contractors trash bags, very thick and tuff and are large enough to be used for many uses.

Roll of stiff bendable wire.

A small multi fuel stove like the MSR Expedition, it will burn anything flammable, just be aware of toxic fumes. And some actual stove fuel.

Sounds like lots of water around you so sunglasses. Like snow, the glare off of water can be intense. Obviously you can make slit pair out of many things but a good pair I think should be included, go to split pair if you have too.

I would ask your doc for a wide spectrum oral antibiotic or their opinion of.

Imodium or pepto. Pepto will allow some of the virus and what ever could be irritating to be expelled. Two thoughts on this, shut it down or expel it. Ask your doc.

Phenergan or like, contact your doc for advise.

Epi pen.

Benadryl or like.

I would include a long gun and ammo. While I love short guns they are for fighting long enough to reach your long gun. Protecting your homeland, hand gun allows them too close for me, even bugging out.

Small vial of bleach.

Ring splint or know how to make one.

Wire splint and leave off the arm even though I have arm too.

What I say and teach, gather everything you have or want into a pile, start weeding it out, gotta have, might have, why this, find kit that can double or triple multiple uses. I do not know nor does anyone know what you think or want, its your root or bug so build like you need.

That's a pretty extensive / exhaustive list. OTOH, unless you are a MASSIVE person, there's no way you will successfully carry that much stuff.

Even if you ARE a massive person, I don't see a person being able to successfully carry that much stuff any appreciable distance, IMO. One person mentioned a 'generator for the house', and in comparison to your list, that is only a half-kidding remark. I consider myself in pretty good shape, and having spent time in a prior life humping around 65+lbs rucks, but today there's NO WAY I could carry that much gear and get anywhere "safe" in time to avoid whatever pending disaster may be approaching. Good luck in your planning.

A number of guys I know who bushcraft quite a bit say that it it doesn't have multiple uses they leave it out. I've been out on a trek with these guys and notice less is always more. I think Bug out bags are often overthought and overloaded. Just my 2 cents.

On your first aid kit... It's a great boo-boo kit but not a very good blow out kit. Think massive trauma you might need to deal with from a car or hunting accident. Tourniquets and large field dressings save lives along with one of the agents that stop major bleeding like Quick-Clot or similar. Keep it separate from the rest of your kit too for easy and immediate access.

I never go to the range or bush without one.

When I was a Scout Leader, we had our Troop meetings on Thursday nights. The meeting immediately before the monthly campout, all backpacks were brought in and unloaded for final inspection. I would point to random individual items and ask the Scout to give two good uses for it. If they couldn't, that item got left out (which might even eliminate Tenga products).

Greg

One thing that came to mind is that you have two sets of light bulbs and two sets of batteries. How about led lights? they never fail, and use a lot less energy.

Cajunshooter, good topic. It is a good man who takes the time to study this out and prepare the way you are doing.

On the "Less is more" topic, here are my thoughts:

Blades, for example, a quality multitool has multiple uses--leave the razor and possibly some of the other tools you listed. Several quality multitools have a diamond sharpening stone within--leave the sharpening stone. The multi tool should have a can opener as well--leave the can opener.

Duct tape can serve as electrical tape. Don't carry the whole roll of duct tape. Wrap the duct a few times around your water bottles and it is there when you need it without taking up space.

Water bladder and canteens could be replaced by recycled Gatorade Bottles. The bottles are lighter and very tough. Bladders present problems to the trecker: Once it is in your pack you don't know how much water remains, they are hard to fill, hard to clean, and you have to remove your gear to pull them out of your pack to fill them.

Eye patches can be improvised from other cloth/medical supplies.

Perhaps replace silverware with a kydex fork or spork.

Candles are handy to have, but can be bulky and heavy. I'd replace the candles, flashlights, and chemlights with quality LED headlamps. They will run for 80 plus hours on a set of batteries.

When you and I are putting such a kit together we have to ask ourselves: Is this a long term kit or a 72 hour bug out bag? Long term kits can become huge and hard to keep handy/available. A 72 hour bug out bag is small enough to be kept in the car.

These are only my thoughts and by no means meant to knock on your efforts. Your goals in putting this kit together may be different then mine.

Good job with what you have put together. The clove oil is brilliant--I'm going to add that to my kit as well.

On the topic of stoves, after years of using all the top quality brand name backpacking stoves, I discovered the cat can alcohol stove. These are DIY stoves, very simple, nothing to break down or go wrong, and they weight next to nothing. (Google search cat can alcohol stoves). When you set your pot on the cat can it presurizes the fuel and boild the water in about four and a half minutes.

I use Heat fuel additive (the yellow bottle) and get six 2 cup boils out of one bottle of Heat.

This set up is light and fast. It can sit in your bag for years and you don't have to wonder if it will fire up or not when the time comes.

Cajun,

Not a bad outfit. I don't know where you keep your kit, but I have an actual bug-out bag in the back seat of my truck that contains about 1/4 of the gear you have listed above. It's equipped to keep me alive for several days. It holds only essential items. What it does have is a quality water purification system, 3 ways to make fire, and the items necessary to build a hasty shelter (paracord and a good knife). I also have a complete med-kit in my truck with everything from IV, airways, quick-clot, splints, and a field surgery kit. The med-kit goes with me when I bail. I'm a concealed cary permit holder so I cary 99% of the time, I simply keep two boxes of ammo in the bag. When I go on long road trips I throw my M4 and 9 (30rd) mags in the back seat. The purpose of the bag is to get me back to my house or at least some place safe. Not to set up a homestead in the backwoods. Mobility is in my opinion a critical factor when planing a bug-out bag.

In my tuck box is heavy gear and more food and water for an extended stay situation. I keep 12 MRE's, axe, saw, shovel, bolt cutters, cro-bar, 10gal of water, and 10gal of fuel, as well as spare parts for my truck. If I ever have to bail out I hope I can take my truck with me, but you can't count on that, and having a light kit that covers the essentials makes more sense to me. I figure if it's so shitty that I can't stay with my vehicle speed will will be of the essence and being weighted down with a ton of gear is a liability I can't afford.

I have been working over seas for the better part of 14 years, and have been right in the middle of one civil war, 2 martial laws, a Muslim uprising, and a coup d'tat. I know from first hand experience that when everything goes pear shaped you are seldom if ever prepared. The single best piece of gear you can have when the shit hits the fan is your wits. Avoid contact/conflict, keep a super low profile, and get the fcuk away from the trouble as fast as possible.

tman300wm,

Well said and I appreciate you sharing your experience based ideas.

My issue with a large pack and lots of gear is that in a prolonged incident, humping a pack will make you a target for the panicked and unprepared. A small discrete bag with essentials allows you to move fast and light and to avoid contact until you reach a safe place to hunker down--until you get home or until you get out-of-Dodge.

I guess much of your gear choice will depend on where you are (heavily populated area vs rural area) and who you anticipate having with you (kids and family).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mdavlee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It looks like a pretty good list. I understand why you would want that for the area you live in. I've been there working at Waterford and it's a very low lying area. </div></div>

I live right here in good ole Luling buddy. Found a place to shoot yet?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cajunshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nope not yet been working out of town for a couple of years. Will send you a PM. </div></div>

Ok, just let me know and we can go shoot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DryFire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I live right here in good ole Luling buddy. Found a place to shoot yet?</div></div>

No I haven't. I'm only off on fridays here. I went to sport optics one friday and checked them out. I didn't bring any rifles to shoot. I might be able to get my wife to bring one of them after this weekend with her.