• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bug out trailer.... (update pics 7-7-09)

Twisted

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2009
NW Oregon
www.twistedfirearms.com
Finally found a use for a Dana 35. Put it under my little trailer.

When shit hits the fan and I head to the hills to let society thin itself out this little trailer should go anywhere the Jeep can drag it with the needed supplies to kick back and watch the world unfold.

I have a pair of matching Trxus tires going on it with the same soft 8 wheels plus a spare that will be mounted up for either the Jeep or trailer. Still trying to decide paint color and such.

The Jeep is your basic Cherokee with 4.56 gears, lockers front and rear, Rubicon Express suspension, Bilstein resevoir shocks, 1 ton steering setup, HID lighting, etc. etc.

bugouttrailer01.jpg

Re: Bug out trailer....

Did you salvage the trailer and modify it, or fab it yourself with a vehicle axle?
Got additional pics? I am looking to build something similar and the surplus military trailers are getting price gouged at $600-1000.
If it is easier to salvage and fab, I will go that route, but I also don't want to make amateur mistakes and reinvent the wheel.
Good plan though..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shibumi</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Did you salvage the trailer and modify it, or fab it yourself with a vehicle axle?
Got additional pics? I am looking to build something similar and the surplus military trailers are getting price gouged at $600-1000.
If it is easier to salvage and fab, I will go that route, but I also don't want to make amateur mistakes and reinvent the wheel.
Good plan though.. </div></div>

Its an old work trailer that has been sitting around for like 10 years. I just cut off a few things and made a little better. Swapped out the axle for a spare axle to match the tire/wheel/bolt patter on my Jeep. Basically just making it a little more stout. I've got less than $50 into everything right now. Existing trailer, Dana 35 axles are free everywhere, old tires from the Jeep, just a couple grinding discs and a couple cans of paint so far. Just gonna deck it with something basic and probably paint the whole thing OD.

Nice trailer. I'll need to do something like that in the not so distant future. BTW, nice looking XJ too.

I just sold my '65 Mustang and bought my first Jeep a couple of weeks ago. It's a bone stock 2000 XJ that came with the 8.25" rear & 3.55:1 gears. I'm installing the 4.5" Rubicon Express lift & 33" tires soon and keeping an eye out for Dana 44's. And I thought rifles and Mustangs were money pits...
wink.gif

Konabully,
Welcome to the Jeep money pit! I had a CJ7, FJ40, and several other 4x4s, which are all money pits, but if you do it right, it will last a lifetime.
Of course depending on how you wheel it, but there are a ton of aftermarket parts for them.
Have fun, and lets see some pics!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: konabully</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice trailer. I'll need to do something like that in the not so distant future. BTW, nice looking XJ too.

I just sold my '65 Mustang and bought my first Jeep a couple of weeks ago. It's a bone stock 2000 XJ that came with the 8.25" rear & 3.55:1 gears. I'm installing the 4.5" Rubicon Express lift & 33" tires soon and keeping an eye out for Dana 44's. And I thought rifles and Mustangs were money pits...
wink.gif
</div></div>

Your 8.25 rear is gonna treat you as well as a D44. Only downfall is the lack of disc brakes and the cost of parts as its not as common of an axle. The front D30 you have should have the bigger shafts with 297x joints just like a D44. Only downside is that in 2000 they went to low pinion. But still, truss it and you'll be good to go. Anything you do that breaks part of the D30 with 33's will have probably broke a D44.

And just FYI, the RE 4.5" kit will take some cutting to get 33's to be happy. Mine started with the 4.5" kit/full packs and took me two days to put spacers up front, and within a year it settled to where the rear had to be lifted more. I also had to buy the control arm brackets to get it all lined back up. Save yourself the headache and money and just get the 5.5" kit cause it comes with the brackets already.

I had a friend build a Grand Cherekee up with the RE 4.5 " Long arm kit and had custom axles under it. He made a trailer similar but put a duplicate axle like the rear one from the Jeep complete so he had extra parts when out and hauled front axle parts in an old 105mm Howy ammo crate bolted in the trailer. This is a little more expensive but something to think about down the road.
My son is 15 and wants a Jeep to build also. I had a '93 Grand with an RE 4.5" and custom F/R long arm kit, the ride was like night and day and well worth the extra. Jeeps you just gotta love 'em.

Shibum. I went with something a little larger that could act as both a carry-all, a shooting house, and a container to hold the snake collection of one of the members of our team.

2sb1x0z.jpg

90re47.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Twisted</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
bugouttrailer01.jpg
</div></div>

No disrespect intended but looks like you already live in the hills/safe place!!

Considering I live in a mini suburbia that's the kind of place I'd be heading for...why leave?

Fortyone,
That is an awesome rig!
It clearly is a "Haul a Party", and looks all inclusive!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Twisted</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
bugouttrailer01.jpg
</div></div>

No disrespect intended but looks like you already live in the hills/safe place!!

Considering I live in a mini suburbia that's the kind of place I'd be heading for...why leave? </div></div>

LOL, I was thinking the same thing. I have a plan set for me and the wife (sort of like a fire escape plan) that involves what truck we'll take, what to grab first, who loads what in the truck and what firearms are grabbed first. After the initial plan any time left over is used for the rest of the stuff. And yeah, the place we're headed looks just like where you already are, LOL.

I'm thinking of going with the large plastic tubs -

Tthink I can squeeze 4 of them in the back of my truck - I keep a couple cases of food, MRE's, camping gear etc in one spot, tent, sleeping bags etc...
Weapons, Silver/gold, ammo....

My girlfriends mom wants to get a small travel trailer as well.

I have 2 trucks in the family both full size, both 4wd. We have Large plastic tubs with lids and I won't store gas, but I have 2 large gas gas containers I can fill. Only a few things are "pre-packaged" and ready to go, but the rest of the stuff goes in the bins or duffell bags pretty fast.

Oh, and if Jason doesn't make it, I have second dibs...tap tap no erasies.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FNG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a friend build a Grand Cherekee up with the RE 4.5 " Long arm kit and had custom axles under it. He made a trailer similar but put a duplicate axle like the rear one from the Jeep complete so he had extra parts when out and hauled front axle parts in an old 105mm Howy ammo crate bolted in the trailer. This is a little more expensive but something to think about down the road.
My son is 15 and wants a Jeep to build also. I had a '93 Grand with an RE 4.5" and custom F/R long arm kit, the ride was like night and day and well worth the extra. Jeeps you just gotta love 'em. </div></div>

The axle under the trailer is a Dana 35 from a cherokee. I tossed around finding an 8.25 to throw under it so that I would have spare parts to fit the rig in an emergency but didn't want to spend the time/money finding one when the D35 was free. If I build another one utilizing what I learn from this project it will have a matching axle. For now if it gets real bad the D35 should bolt right under my rig, just not sure if the driveshaft would be long enough. I do have extra shafts for the front that I want to find an ammo can or something for so I can keep them in there. They are complete shafts with the hubs and everything. 3 bolts and they come right out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Twisted</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
bugouttrailer01.jpg
</div></div>

Considering I live in a mini suburbia that's the kind of place I'd be heading for...why leave? </div></div>

No doubt, I love where I live. Out in the country away from suburbia hell. Only on 15 acres right here but I can be downtown Portland in less than an hour, on mt hood in an hour, and to the beach in about 2 hours. I am too close to a main road if SHTF. We have a couple other larger pieces of property more remote and more on hill tops that I would rather bunker at. But ultimately I think I would literally head for the hills somewhere with no roads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If Twisted heads for the hills, I've got dibs on his place
smile.gif
</div></div>

Ha, you can claim my house. I've got all the new techy gadgets you wouldn't more find in a big city home rather than a small house in the sticks. Would be livin large as long as the power kept on.

Trailer007.jpg

Trailer013.jpg

Trailer020-1.jpg

Trailer020.jpg

Jeep Rubicon...Dana 44's air lockers front and rear, limited slip rears on 31" Goodyears (will switch to 33's when my $50 tires wear out
grin.gif
). Same tires and wheels on trailer so spares are interchangeable. JKS ACOS lift, BulletProof front and rear bumpers with Warn winch in cradles so it can run front rear or off rear of trailer, TBT sport bar, BDS shocks etc etc etc.

To the trailer I added the spare on the front, jerry can carriers on either side and the tongue is a receiver so I can run either a 2" ball hitch or a pintel hitch.

Pat

I had it built. No plans really just worked with a friend. I can send a few progress pics if that would help. It is stout as the dickens. I load it up to the top of a set of racks I made for it, with fire wood on a regular basis. I have also filled it to the rails with concete I use for rip rap. I just hooked it up and forgot that I also had 3/4" tow points welded on as well. You can see them below the tail light in the Jerry can carrier pic. It is a bit heavy for the Jeep.

If I do it again I will do an aluminum trailer for towing in the back-country (lighter with 33" tires and 16" wheels). Or I might use this axle for the aluminum trailer and replace this one with a bolt pattern that will fit my Tacoma. Too many ideas not enough funds
grin.gif

Pat

Holy crap! Thanks for the advice fellas. Didn't mean to hijack your thread, Twisted.

My brother-in-law gave me his 16" Rubicon Moab rims so I may just put the 265/75R16 (32") tires on it for now until I have the coin to change out the 3.55 gears. It's my daily driver (only 4 miles to work) so I know it's going to be a pig, for now anyways. Also, I don't mind cutting the fenders. Looks like I'll have to join a Jeep forum now too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: konabully</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Holy crap! Thanks for the advice fellas. Didn't mean to hijack your thread, Twisted.

My brother-in-law gave me his 16" Rubicon Moab rims so I may just put the 265/75R16 (32") tires on it for now until I have the coin to change out the 3.55 gears. It's my daily driver (only 4 miles to work) so I know it's going to be a pig, for now anyways. Also, I don't mind cutting the fenders. Looks like I'll have to join a Jeep forum now too. </div></div>

No worries man. Rubi wheels look sweet on XJ's, just not wide enough IMO. And don't bother with Jeep forums, too many mall crawlers and such. Find some folks who use theirs for what you want to use yours for and get advice. The unfortunate thing with Jeeps is that they are the current day Honda as far as way too many kids buying them and outfitting them with everything you can bolt on and calling it a hardcore rock crawler.

Mine is not nearly as extreme as most rigs out there but it is overbuilt for what I use it for. I have had it in the rocks but I don't push it too hard because it has to get me to work on Monday and get me to the hills when the zombies come.

I'll put up some pics of my trailers later today or tomorrow. I have one finished and am working on a second. One is my utility trailer for landscaping, trash, etc. and the second one is being built into a tool trailer to hold all my necessary gear for backwoods adventuring, etc.

Probably the "ultimate bugout vehicle & trailer"...
See Turtle Expedition IV...

http://www.turtleexpedition.com/vehicles/turtle4.php

Could use some updating, a Banks Stinger pkg on Powerstroke, or best yet a Dodge Cummins, and maybe a bit more trailer; but check out their site for some great ideas.

Might also want to read up on EMP and have spare modules/chips/boards for however modern you figure to go. There are a number of guys doing Edelbrock conversions for Chevy 350s and those do away with the TBI (computer run) carburetor. With a 350 you can swap back to `55 era distributors so likely keep em up & running. Might want to read ONE MINUTE AFTER, a recent best selling novel on effects of EMP attack on USA.

If you figure to bugout AFTER SHHTF, you're likely gonna be outa luck, unless you can make the mad-dash and get outa Dodge in under 45min... Those higway/bypass freeway loops around most towns of any size aren't called "Controlled Access" roads for nothing. If you figure to beat the clock, I wish you well.

Not much beats an ATV for a bugout vehicle. Anyplace you can go with a Jeep, others will be there first or after. Put a few swamps between you and the others and the only thing that will bug you are the winged variety of bugs...

Nothing much better than an old RV for a relocation vehicle. Wherever you are, you're at home! Those older RVs can often be had for a couple grand. Most owners are religious about their care and upkeep. Even an old beater looking gas rig is likely in sound running gear condition and just in need of tires/belts/tuneup/hoses etc... Price one new, then look at your GreenSheet or PennySaver, see who wants one gone...

In my book, bugging out is about gear transport and being able to have shelter where you stop. Tools and Supplies/Gear are what you need. Not going to be a lot of trail-running or cruising country roads once it goes down, so no need to tie up big bucks in your vehicle, at least not if you are mechanically inclined.

Nice to see people are thinking and anticipating...

For those of you who have not read "One Second After" you should. It will really give you pause for what you need and especially what you need in terms of a vehicle. The bottom line is that after a nuclear pulse, those jeeps and vehicles with electronic anythings are useless.

Well, spent all day today workin on it and made some progress. Doesn't look like much but I did a lot of cutting, welding, changing, etc. today.

Got the whole thing cleaned up, more primer, then lots of olive drab. 2x6's were coated with Thompson's water seal on all sides before putting them on. Layed it on pretty heavy and let it all soak in. Its the stuff with UV protection and such.
bugouttrailer02.jpg

Couldn't decide what to do with the tail lights so just threw some mounts up high for now to keep me out of tickets. I have some ideas using different lights but these will work for now. Also threw another coat of water seal on the deck after on the trailer.
bugouttrailer03.jpg

The deck has no screws/bolts holding it down. I boxed the front of the boards in with flat steel. After all the boards were in I did the same in the rear using several small stitch welds. If I need to replace a board I just have to grind a few welds to get the boards out. I also added a channel upright on the back for a removable gate. Basically a piece of plywood that will slide into place. I am going to finish wiring the lights in the morning then take it to the hardware store for some plywood/paint and finish the sides. Going to use a 2x4 along the bottom and then plywood up.
bugouttrailer04.jpg

Is that all for the sides? Do you have any plans for the construction?
Great pics, thanks for posting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cavemanmoore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys, I know this is a little off topic, but I wondered if ya'll had seen this or not: http://www.survival-spot.com/survival-files/argentinas-collapse.pdf

Probably one of the most helpful things I have ever read on SHTF scenario. </div></div>

cavemanmoore,

Excellent read. Very practical. Thanks for posting that.

** Apologies to Twisted for getting off topic.

Took the trailer to home depot today to get more supplies. It pulls nicely. Aside from going up big hills I don't even feel it back there.

Picked up some plywood and 2x6's for the sides. Gonna be a 2x6 on the bottom and then 24" of plywood above that, all around. Just got done cutting them all to fit. Also welded on a couple more little brackets to help support things as well as a safety chain for a more permanent setup.

Tomorrow I am going to try and paint all the boards with the OD paint I had home depot mix up. Once they are all painted will start mounting them, hopefully this project is done by mid week or so. Would be finished tomorrow but that dang work thing starts again.

Here is a picture of my work trailer after I finished the floor. I spent 3 months building the interior. It has hot/cold water, built in air compressor, fridge, and AC. We did more to finish the interior, so it doesnt look so bare now. I saw the brick veneer at Lowes and thought it would look cool having a brick wall in the trailer. I topped it off with crown moulding. (If you buy a compound miter saw, you have to install the moulding to justify the cost)

trailer1.jpg

Re: Bug out trailer.... (update pics 7-4-09)

Not much of an update but got the sides all painted. It's just BEHR flat exterior paint from Home Depot. They didn't have a color called olive drab so I took the lid from a can of Krylon camo and matched it the closest I could find, going a little darker when in doubt. Turns out the color "Wild Rice" right off their shelf is what I wanted. 3 heavy coats on all sides of all the boards.

Still kind of wet in the pics.

bugouttrailer05.jpg

bugouttrailer06.jpg

Re: Bug out trailer.... (update pics 7-6-09)

you could carry Shanksters whale beast girlfriend in that trailor!
You know its stout by those standards....

Nice rig

forgot to check back in on this. here is my utility trailer, i paid about $200 for it a few years ago. rusty but trusty.

I am building another "expedition" type trailer on a similar platform, but its in the shop right now and I cant really take decent pics until I roll it outside. It is also a pickup box and it will have a large chest tool box on the tongue, as well as jerry can holders, axe/shovel/mattok, highlift jack, and spare tire holder. The new trailer has a 14-bolt GM axle under it so that I can interchange wheels with my truck if I have a tire problem.

DSCN1027.jpg

DSCN1028.jpg

You will need fenders. I have used 55 gal drums cut up for fenders in the past and they lasted well or you can buy some from a trailer supply house.

Gussets front and rear are a good idea to help slide past rocks and trees

Pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MtGoat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You will need fenders. I have used 55 gal drums cut up for fenders in the past and they lasted well or you can buy some from a trailer supply house.

Gussets front and rear are a good idea to help slide past rocks and trees

Pat </div></div>

I have an extra set of rock sliders similar to whats on the Jeep that I want to look into fitting on there. If not I'm gonna bend some tube to use as sliders on the side of the trailer and build a small fender off of them. I'm gonna cover the least amount of tire I can and keep it legal. I don't want to cover any more tire than the Jeep has covered. Basically if the Jeep will go over it I don't want to worry about the trailer.

Old thread but really nice rig!

Re: Bug out trailer.... (update pics 7-7-09)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Twisted</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> When shit hits the fan and I head to the hills to let society thin itself out this little trailer should go anywhere the Jeep can drag it with the needed supplies to kick back and watch the world unfold.</div></div>

When SHTF those hills are going to look like New York city. LOL Everybody will go there. LOL

But I don't believe that the SHTF will ever happen.

We may have civil unrest in the usual places. But for most of us. It will be something we watch on TV.

We will have some hard times. But we will over come it.

But that little trailer will be handy to have around.

Re: Bug out trailer.... (update pics 7-7-09)

Well...these are some great ideas as far as having a nice trailer just to have for GP or for playing on weekends or holidays during ROL times (Rule of Law). Having said that, the whole idea of having a "bugout trailer" with the idea that one will use said trailer if/when SHTF day comes and it's time to hit the road for safe territory, is really not worth wasting your time and money on. Unless you already live out in a remote area, if/when SHTF day comes the roads will be like parking lots in most major urban and suburban areas. So forget the whole idea of hitting the road with all your gear packed and stacked, you will just be a nice fat target for someone else to take all your nicely packed goodies. Best to think about how you can travel light and fast, and be mobile (think foot power - what can you carry on your back, or pull with your body).

Just my .02 cents
cool.gif