• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Build Advice

Porfirio

Private
Minuteman
Jun 25, 2020
Hey all,
Looking to build my first bolt gun. It is mainly going to be a target gun but partially going to be a hunting gun though I don't mind some heft to the barrel. I'm looking to learn long range shooting on it but already have decent shooting fundamentals (i.e., I can shoot sub minute groups out of a mk12 at 100 and 200). I'm going for a 308 build and I'm thinking of building it on the Bighorn Origin action. Also thinking an AG composites stock and badger BDM. The main thing I'm seeking advice on is barrels. I was looking at preferred barrel blanks but others on the hide have said beware. I'm fine with spending the right money on a barrel so $400, $600, $800 etc its fine. Who are the best prefit options for an origin action that allow the amount of configurations that preferred does (ie length, twist, contour etc)? I'm thinking 22" barrel, 1:11 twist, medium palma profile. Medium palma seemed to be a consensus opinion here for this application.

Hey all,
Looking to build my first bolt gun. It is mainly going to be a target gun but partially going to be a hunting gun though I don't mind some heft to the barrel. I'm looking to learn long range shooting on it but already have decent shooting fundamentals (i.e., I can shoot sub minute groups out of a mk12 at 100 and 200). I'm going for a 308 build and I'm thinking of building it on the Bighorn Origin action. Also thinking an AG composites stock and badger BDM. The main thing I'm seeking advice on is barrels. I was looking at preferred barrel blanks but others on the hide have said beware. I'm fine with spending the right money on a barrel so $400, $600, $800 etc its fine. Who are the best prefit options for an origin action that allow the amount of configurations that preferred does (ie length, twist, contour etc)? I'm thinking 22" barrel, 1:11 twist, medium palma profile. Medium palma seemed to be a consensus opinion here for this application.
Id contact @Bugholes for a prefit. I always recommend Bartlein and a palma contour is good, i prefer the M24/M40. A 30 cal blank or prefit should not be difficult to source

Id contact @Bugholes for a prefit. I always recommend Bartlein and a palma contour is good, i prefer the M24/M40. A 30 cal blank or prefit should not be difficult to source
This is very good to know, I looked at their website and didn't really see what I wanted but should have known to just call them. I'm really fancying a Bartlein barrel for the build so happy to learn they'll make origin prefits

Why the 1:11 twist? Are you going to shoot light bullets?
I don't know anything about prefits, but I did put my own Rem/age on and its great.

Thanks for the input, what sort of accuracy are you seeing?
I don't get too crazy with load development. I load 5 thousands from max COAL from max charge down a grain in .2gr increments and then play with three or four different seating depths and settle on a load. One powder, one projectile. 147-eldm for this barrel.

I'm right at .6"/100y and feel like it can be fine tuned a bit more from there if really needed. For my purposes, the juice isn't worth the squeeze.

That's a real, 10 shot group though. None of this cherry picked 3 shot group nonsense.

Why the 1:11 twist? Are you going to shoot light bullets?
I don't know anything about prefits, but I did put my own Rem/age on and its great.

To be clear I am green on the bolt side so happy to be told I'm wrong but I'm mostly thinking about shooting 175grs and when I did some digging found that 1:11 was the recommended

1:11 seemed pretty slow to me, but looking at a few graphs says you are right.

I don't get too crazy with load development. I load 5 thousands from max COAL from max charge down a grain in .2gr increments and then play with three or four different seating depths and settle on a load. One powder, one projectile. 147-eldm for this barrel.

I'm right at .6"/100y and feel like it can be fine tuned a bit more from there if really needed. For my purposes, the juice isn't worth the squeeze.

That's a real, 10 shot group though. None of this cherry picked 3 shot group nonsense.
10 shots into .6 is legit badass.

Reactions: vinniedelpino