• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Build an AICS Chassis for a Howa 1500?

firestorm1284

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 19, 2010
Wisconsin
Hey guys, looking for some advice. I have a howa 1500, that is a real shooter. I have a B&C Tactical stock on it, which is OK, but I'd like to upgrade. I really like the AICS stocks, but they don't make them for the Howa.

I'm toying with the idea of trying to machine the chassis for one to fit my Howa action. Does anyone have any detailed pics of the chassis? Any thoughts on whether this is doable with a manual bridgeport? Thanks!

Re: Build an AICS Chassis for a Howa 1500?

Other than buying one from Roedale, any info? I'd like to build one, in part for the challenge.

I did one for mine, it wasn't a terribly complicated job but I did it on my little cnc. The magwell would be a bit of a pain on a manual mill but the rest is all straight lines. I made a butt plate to fit the original hogue recoil pad and machined the cheekpiece from a piece of delrin with some shoulder bolts.

I just measured up from the skins and the action and went from there. It works fine and is very nice to shoot. It'll do till I can afford a LH AW anyway.

IMG_0848.jpg

Cheers,
Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: firestorm1284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Other than buying one from Roedale, any info? I'd like to build one, in part for the challenge.</div></div>

what do you need specifically, I can get you all the pics you need. Want to build two? LOL. After I got mine taken apart, it makes me sick that I paid so much for it, but I don't have a mill or CNC, so they got me by the balls. But I have two rifles coming, with no stocks yet, so if you need measurements, and pics of anything, PM me, tell me what you need, and I will help you out.

Gregt that is SWEET!! I wish I had a CNC, so many things I would do. I might me able to get the magwell EDM'd if the price isn't prohibitive. The rest does look like straight lines. You think it would be possible on a manual mill?

Hasgun - If you could supply some measurements that would be fantastic. I was hoping somebody would have already made up a CAD file or something, because I'm thinking it might be quite a bit of trouble to get me exact measurements. Like Greg said, I could buy the skins and work off of those, but pics of how everything works and fits together would be essential.

Really appreciate the responses guys!

Mate, it's absolutely doable on a manual mill. every part of it is machined at 90 degrees to the other faces. The magwell could be done as well but if you could have it edm'ed it would be a nice way to do it. It's a pretty deep hole to finish with a 3/16" slot drill. I rest milled it with 1/2, then 1/4, then 3/16 so the little tool was only really bumping off the corners. I did half from each side which worked fine.

Wow, this started off as more of a "could I" type idea, but now I'm really thinking I might just do this! Other than the magwell, it looks as if there is an "oval" like area for the buttpad, is that correct? If so, I'm not sure how I would mill that part.

Also, how did you mill the "cupped" area where the action sits? Did you use a large ball endmill, or did you let the CNC make those contours?

On a Howa the bottom of the action is flat so there's no radiused inlet to machine. It's flat with a cut across for the recoil lug and one at the rear where the action steps down. It couldn't be easier.

IMG_0803.jpg

The buttpad bit on this one is just bolted on to the rest of the stock. You could mill it pretty close then sand it to match. I just scanned the Hogue recoil pad and milled it to that shape.

Ok... now I'm starting to get pretty excited. Don't do that to me man! I know I'm asking a lot, but I really appreciate your help, particularly since you have actually done this. Would you mind sending me an email with any pictures you might have of the machining you did, and the final project? My email address is:

[email protected]

If you could do that, it would be monstrously helpful.

Also, did you weld two separate pieces of aluminum together? One from the action forward, and one from just behind the action to the buttstock?

This seems like it might be a bit cheaper way to go, I like it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: firestorm1284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also, did you weld two separate pieces of aluminum together? One from the action forward, and one from just behind the action to the buttstock?</div></div>

Yep mate, I used solid bar because I had it here the day I made it and wasn't terribly worried about weight. Some aluminium RHS would make it a piece of piss to do the front and rear though, drill a few holes for the skin screws, tig it on and off you go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gregt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On a Howa the bottom of the action is flat so there's no radiused inlet to machine. It's flat with a cut across for the recoil lug and one at the rear where the action steps down. It couldn't be easier.

IMG_0803.jpg
</div></div>

I'm liking this with. What size of aluminum block did you start with?

I used a piece of 32x450x90 6061 plate. I work in metric for this stuff. I just bought some box section 32x32x3mm and 25x25x3mm for the front and rear. There's very little machining required from those sizes.

I'm going to make another for my 223 shortly so I'll take some better photos when I do. The plan is to make it as light as possible so I'm going to pocket out everything I can. I'm also doing an adjustable butt plate on it to save fiddling with spacers.

Thanks for the info. This looks like a fun project

Awesome, I would LOVE pictures of that. I'm thinking I will definitely be doing this, if I can find a place to buy AICS skins.

I did a bit of drawing on it tonight, it came to 1.3kg (just under 3lb) for the bare chassis.

exploded.jpg

assembled.jpg

That is fantastic! I know I've asked you for a lot of help, but could you send me your solidworks files? I also have the program, this would help me a ton with measurements as well.

Gregt - you are the MAN.

Hey guys would a multi speed drillpress work for the task?
smile.gif

I have an action i wanted to get an AICS for but they dont make the inletting standard for it. I would love some info if its not an inconvenience.
smile.gif
I am so so so impressed with the pictures that you talented machinests have posted.
smile.gif

Any help would be Great!
smile.gif

Keep it up!

6.5, I have not made one of these myself, but I have done machining. A drill press isn't going to cut it (no pun intended) for this project. A milling machine has a table that moves, which allows you to make the cuts you need. Also, my bridgeport weighs approximately 2200 pounds, so it has plenty of rigidity.

If on the other hand, you are talking about MODIFYING an existing AI stock, that may work, depending on what needs to be done, but to build the chassis from scratch would be not feasible.

They do make tables for drill presses that travel for about 200 bucks, but I think you would be unhappy with the results you'd get. Don't want to rain on your parade, just trying to be realistic!

Gregt - EVEN MORE questions for you. How did you mill your mag well? Also, where did you get the mag catch parts? Does someone sell the AI mag catch and release, as well as whatever springs you need, or did you machine them yourself? Which magazine style did you use, AICS or AW?

I just drew it up and milled the mag well in the cnc, half from each side. I made the mag catch, it pivots on a 3mm screw through the stock and has a spring behind it. I just made it a little long and trimmed the top to get the mag to sit in the right position. I used a C products mag which I think is the same dimensions as the AICS one. I've got a couple of alpha mags turning up this week which should fit the same inlet.

DSCF0064.jpg

That looks like fantastic machining. I was thinking I was going to have to square off the inside corners of the magwell, but if they can be rounded then I can just do it on the mill. As far as the mag catch goes, is that just a straight piece with a hole through it for the 3mm screw? How do you have the spring positioned to keep it in place?

Well I just ordered up two sets of 1.5 stocksides, so now I'm committed! Also ordered a 5 round AICS mag.. those things are EXPENSIVE!

I'm in the process of gathering up all the stuff I need hopefully I can get started on mine soon.

Awesome Lefty! We can maybe help each other out with our builds along the way. Are you building yours for a Howa as well?

Mine is for a Remington. And all the help I can get would be awesome.

I don't have access to a mill but I know a guy that does. So I hope to get him to do the milling for me.

I too have been interested in making my own One-Piece chassis for a remington M700 SA to fit AICS skins. I am currently going to school for CNC so I am trying to get my teacher to allow me to make one. It would be nice to have a set of prints for one. I planned on pulling measurments from a current AICS 1.0 I have.

One of the difficult things with this project is to get the inletting right for the Howa action. If you are making yours for a 700, you should be able to get the exact measurements and design you need from someone with an AICS stock.

I think they use a "V" style inletting to accept the round bottomed action.

From what I understand you're right they use a v style inletting and it shouldn't be to hard to find some one with the measurements.

For the price you can buy an AICS for a Rem 700, it couldn't be worth the time it would take to make one by the time you buy the skins, buttpad, cheekrest etc could it? I've seen them for sale for around $850 complete from memory. That's a bargain compared to the time it takes.

I just did my Howa one because I couldn't buy one. I'm doing a similar thing for a Savage 10FP shortly for the same reason but I think if I had a Rem 700 I'd just buy one. Plus you blokes in the US can buy the folder, the Aussie government doesn't trust us with those!

I somewhat agree with Greg, but part of it is just the fun of making your own. Still, it's about half the cost of buying one:

AICS Stocksides - $125
Stock Screws - $25
AICS Buttpad - $115
AICS Cheekpiece - $120
Aluminum to make chassis - $50?

Total - Around $435.

Granted if you factor in your time, you're probably well OVER the cost of a factory one, but I enjoy doing stuff like this, so I only count materials. Plus, as Greg said, they don't make them for a Howa - so it's not even an option.

In addition, you don't HAVE to use the AICS cheekpiece OR buttpad. I'm thinking about buying a Graco fully adjustable buttpad (around $60). I am also considering fabricating my own adjustable cheekpiece, or getting an aluminum one from XLR. I ordered one of theirs, and modified it for a B&C stock, it worked out VERY well.

Tag! Wow I have always been interested in the aics chassis seeing this makes me want to make one for myself on any of my rifles!!

Might be cool to make one for a 22!
wink.gif

Holy crap, that would be some .22!

I also just got to thinking on this. The buttstock section, and the forestock section are the same on every AICS stock, regardless of which action you put in it. I am thinking about pinning the action block section to the buttstock and to the forestock. If that was the case, all you would have to do to switch out the rifle would be to swap the action block section.

Not sure how practical that would be, but then you'd only need 1 set of skins, 1 buttstock, and 1 forestock and you could have as many barreled actions with the correct action block for each of them. Sort of like different "uppers" on an AR.

You're right, I machined the cheekrest from delrin and made the buttplate to suit the recoil pad from the original Hogue stock so apart from a bit of time, they cost nothing.

On my new one I'm going to use a sliding adjustable buttplate like the one I did for the tacticool stock on my little Savage.

IMG_0828.jpg

Wow, that buttplate looks REALLY nice. I was going to use the Graco. Who makes this one? Or did you make it yourself?

I made it one night because the tacticool felt a little short. It's great on the Savage, it can twist and slide and just locks in place wherever you put it. I was going to do a dovetail on it so I could adjust the height of the pad but it was in the right spot for me anyway so I didn't bother.

Wow, VERY well done. I think yours actually looks better than some of the commercial ones. It's times like these when I wish I had a CNC instead of a manual mill.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: firestorm1284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Holy crap, that would be some .22!

I also just got to thinking on this. The buttstock section, and the forestock section are the same on every AICS stock, regardless of which action you put in it. I am thinking about pinning the action block section to the buttstock and to the forestock. If that was the case, all you would have to do to switch out the rifle would be to swap the action block section.

Not sure how practical that would be, but then you'd only need 1 set of skins, 1 buttstock, and 1 forestock and you could have as many barreled actions with the correct action block for each of them. Sort of like different "uppers" on an AR.</div></div>

Wow you're right!

That might be a cool way to at least get started then down the road get another set of skins!

I actually sort of went nuts buying skins. I ordered two, and then I saw another one on the ar15.com EE that came with a cheekrest, so I bought that one too. Now I'll have three sets! I'll probably want to sell at least one of those off at some point though. They just seemed nearly impossible to get, so I figured I'd better get them while I could.

What kind of mill would it take to do this project in a quality manor?
smile.gif

I have been looking at mills anyways, and up untill this point have only had a drill press at my desposal.
What is a good mill that could do the job, but is also around 900 dollars?
smile.gif

As I said, I haven't done this yet myself, but it mostly appears to be square corners, with a few angles that could also be done on a manual mill.

Personally, I had an X3 benchtop mill (pretty much the largest of the benchtop mills), and I didn't think it was rigid enough. For 900, you MAY be able to find someone locally who has a used bridgeport for sale. I picked mine up for 1300 a few years ago. Otherwise there are a lot of Bridgeport knock offs as well. I would get the biggest machine you can afford, and that you have space for. The extra weight and rigidity really helps.