• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Build existing Savage 110 or Make Rem 700 purchase

propeine

Wannabe Gun Plumber
Minuteman
Apr 20, 2012
Erie, Pa
I'm at a crossroads and reaching out to you guys for help. A guy I work with approached me the other day knowing that I want to build a 260. He has a Rem 700 Mountain Rifle in 260 for sale for 475 dollars. It was a hunting rifle. Probably has less than 100 rounds through it and definitely less than 200.

For those that don't know because I didn't, they have 22" 1 in 9 twist pencil barrels, very nice stock and either hinged floor or dbm depending on the vintage. This is according to what I looked up at least.

Now I was planning on using my tax return to rebarrel my Savage 110 to 284 win and get a new scope for it. There isn't enough money available to do both. Therefore I have a dilemma.

For all intents and purposes this will be a combo 600yd (hopefully occasionally 1000yd) range gun part time and more of the time be a woodchuck rifle. I plan on reloading. Money is an object.

Keep the savage
Pro's
Rebarrel to 284 win with heavy barrel
Platform I'm familiar with
Get new scope
Retain switch barrel capability

Con's
Stuck with Long Action still (not necessarily a con)
Not get a new rifle

Get the Remmy
Pro's
I have 2 rifles, leave the savage set up for lightweight varmint/deer hunting
I have a long action and a short action now
I get a 260 which I have wanted for about a year

Con's
Rem still needs new heavy barrel
Rem likely needs trued and trigger work
Neither rifle will be up to long range work as much as i would like them to be
Until it gets rebarreled most likely i will use 123 a-maxs only (not necessarily a con)
Remington can't be rebarreled at home (at least not by me at this moment)

Re: Build existing Savage 110 or Make Rem 700 purchase

More is better than less unless $ is short

Money is tight - set up ONE rifle well, instead of two half assed rifles.

Money being tight, and 600 yards mainly with occasional 1000, 284 is not for you. Plus, as far as I'm aware, 284 savage prefits are for large shank actions only.

Money being tight, a Savage is just right (ha! New saying!)

Stick a 6.5cm, 260 or 708 barrel on your savage and rock on.

Or, consider selling or parting out your savage and buying the Savage model 12 LRP in 260 or 6.5cm for ~$900. Helluva rifle for $900.

Or

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Money is tight - set up ONE rifle well, instead of two half assed rifles.

Money being tight, and 600 yards mainly with occasional 1000, 284 is not for you. Plus, as far as I'm aware, 284 savage prefits are for large shank actions only.

Money being tight, a Savage is just right (ha! New saying!)

Stick a 6.5cm, 260 or 708 barrel on your savage and rock on.

Or, consider selling or parting out your savage and buying the Savage model 12 LRP in 260 or 6.5cm for ~$900. Helluva rifle for $900.

Or</div></div>

Thank you for reading my post fully and giving me a detailed response! I tend to agree that one good rifle trumps two half assed rifles. Can only shoot one at a time anyways! A few questions on your response if you don't mind

1.) 284 is not for me because it's not necessary, because its more expensive to shoot, because it recoils more? I assume these are the reasons but let me know if I'm correct

2.) 260, 6.5CM, 7-08 in my long action may have feeding issues (blind magazine) any experience with this?

3.) would you consider the LRP to be a better purchase with a factory barrel than rebarreling my current action?
I did some research and it does sound like a nice piece of kit. Lighter trigger, HS stock, bull barrel, DBM and pretty much excellent reviews across the board. Lots to like there compared to trying to make my 110 something it isn't at the moment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: propeine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

1.) 284 is not for me because it's not necessary, because its more expensive to shoot, because it recoils more? I assume these are the reasons but let me know if I'm correct

2.) 260, 6.5CM, 7-08 in my long action may have feeding issues (blind magazine) any experience with this?

3.) would you consider the LRP to be a better purchase with a factory barrel than rebarreling my current action?
I did some research and it does sound like a nice piece of kit. Lighter trigger, HS stock, bull barrel, DBM and pretty much excellent reviews across the board. Lots to like there compared to trying to make my 110 something it isn't at the moment. </div></div>

1. 284 is a great cartridge, I shoot one. It is WAY more horsepower than is needed/warranted for 600 yards. Better suited to 1000, but even there, the ~45gr case capacity cartridges in 6, 6.5 and 7mm are plenty good. My partners 260 hangs right there with my 284 out to 750 or so. He's not far behind at 1000. Out past 1000 is where the 284 shows its superiority. 284 is more expensive to shoot mainly because of brass and powder, but not excessively so. Burns about 25% more powder. Brass, when available (a HUGE qualifier) isn't expensive but Winchester only makes it once every couple years. Recoil is moderate. My main contention with 284 for you is that its just a bunch more horsepower than you need for stated purposes. Also again, I'm not sure there are 284 barrels to fit the 110 action. Target action only.

2. 110 long action will be great with the short cartridges. In fact, the 260 and 708 can benefit quite a bit when the ~2.850" COAL limitation of a short action is removed...particularly the 708. There again, both are more than capable of 1000 yard performance loaded to ~2.850".

3. YES. The LRP is a target action, target trigger, has a great barrel, DBM, good stock. All for $900, a deal. You can build your 110, but add up the costs, and maybe peruse the archives of rifles for sale and see what built savages fetch...dogshit. Modded savage resale is shit. Financially, you'd be way ahead if you sold what you've got and bought the LRP, or a used/built Savage.

NOTHING against Savage. Excellent rifles at a great price. My ~2003 model 10 has about 7500 rounds through (original 308 barrel went 6k) and other than a preventative replacement of my striker spring and extractor spring, runs like a top...better than ever, in fact. Sure, its not an AI (Jacob's allegedly has100s of 1000s of rounds through), but they're good. Just kinda undesirable.

Make sure you glass-up whatever you choose properly.

I'ld rebarrel your savage to a 7-08, push they 162's at a longer COAL 2.850 when you want to shoot at a 1000 and load up some 120's for woodchucks. While I agree that Savages don't resell well, however if you keep it awhile once and have a savage set up ( trigger, stock, glass and action work if you choose) you can just buy a barrel and install it yourself and rock on. So if you keep the savage action over time it seems it would be cheaper once you rebarrel a few times plus no down time when you do rebarrel. I agree with turbo54 in that you most likely do not need a 284 and a 7-08 is cheaper and fits this well. Hell if you don't like it you pull the 7-08 barrel and sell it try something else ah the beauty of switching barrels at home

I like the idea of the LRP. Only ran into one problem with the LRP, they're hard as hell to find! Found a few lrpv's in 223 but that's definitely not what I'm after. I'm 100% sold that that is a better value than building my 110 but not of I can't find one.

Starting with my rifle, caliber of choice this is how I see it broke down.
Barrel: 300ish
Stock (choate or stockade): 200-260
Trigger: 200 altho not necessary but to be equivalent

That gets me in the same league as the lrp but with possibly a nicer tube.
So that's 700-800 but it has a slight advantage in that I can seat long bullets with no mag restriction. Does not get me a dBm though. That would probably run at least 200 more.

So its damn near a wash without selling my 110. With selling it I could maybe get 400? Not real sure to be honest. Problem is that only works if I can find an LRP. Decisions decisions

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: propeine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A guy I work with approached me the other day knowing that I want to build a 260. <span style="color: #FF0000">He has a Rem 700 Mountain Rifle in 260 for sale for 475 dollars.</span> It was a hunting rifle. Probably has less than 100 rounds through it and definitely less than 200.</div></div>

tumblr_m4qgwttyPM1qb2sui.jpg

That's a <span style="font-weight: bold">fantastic</span> price assuming its in good shape; I have a Mountain LSS in 260 and it shoots bugholes with 120gr Nosler Ballistic Tips.

Back to your question at hand, though...

I'd build on your long action. My first Savage build was a 110E action with a Criterion 260 barrel; 260 fed flawlessly from the long staggerfeed (attached to action) mag well.

If at some point down the road you want a DBM, CDI makes metal for a Savage Long Action that takes AICS 308 magazines. If you go this route, you can run an extended bolt baffle (they come standard on Savage 204/223s) in your long action and your bolt throw will be only 1/4" longer than a regular short action Savage.

Just to give you an idea, here is a picture of my long action Savage 110 in <span style="color: #FF0000">223AI.</span>

IMG_1363.jpg

@ BoilerUp

You're right, that's a good price, but its not the type of rifle he wants.

If you want a corvette, a great deal on a suburban isn't helpful...unless you're going to flip the suburban for a profit to help offset the Corvette cost.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want a corvette, a great deal on a suburban isn't helpful...unless you're going to flip the suburban for a profit to help offset the Corvette cost. </div></div>

That's what I was alluding to...

I think the flexibility of the Savage platform is great. I also think a long action for the .284 is a good idea so you can seat those long bullets out far. I think with the barrel purchase you will have exactly what you want, instead of a .260 hunting rifle that you wish was more of a target rifle. You'll end up dumping more into that 700 to get what you wan than if you just rebarrel. Just my .02.

And if you decide you want a .260 down the line.. just order a .260 barrel and swap them out. .260 works just fine on a long action.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoilerUP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

That's a <span style="font-weight: bold">fantastic</span> price assuming its in good shape; I have a Mountain LSS in 260 and it shoots bugholes with 120gr Nosler Ballistic Tips.

Back to your question at hand, though...

I'd build on your long action. My first Savage build was a 110E action with a Criterion 260 barrel; 260 fed flawlessly from the long staggerfeed (attached to action) mag well.

If at some point down the road you want a DBM, CDI makes metal for a Savage Long Action that takes AICS 308 magazines. If you go this route, you can run an extended bolt baffle (they come standard on Savage 204/223s) in your long action and your bolt throw will be only 1/4" longer than a regular short action Savage.

Just to give you an idea, here is a picture of my long action Savage 110 in <span style="color: #FF0000">223AI.</span>
</div></div>

I think this is probably the easiest way to get pieces past the wife too. She doesn't say a whole lot about me spending money but she tends to notice when I bring home whole new guns. Funny you should mention Criterion as that is probably who I was going with through NSS. As for flipping it I suppose I'll need to do some market research and see just how interested anyone is. Do you happen to have a build thread or be willing to share the results of your 260 with the criterion? Thats a great looking stick!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hawk45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the flexibility of the Savage platform is great. I also think a long action for the .284 is a good idea so you can seat those long bullets out far. I think with the barrel purchase you will have exactly what you want, instead of a .260 hunting rifle that you wish was more of a target rifle. You'll end up dumping more into that 700 to get what you wan than if you just rebarrel. Just my .02.

And if you decide you want a .260 down the line.. just order a .260 barrel and swap them out. .260 works just fine on a long action.</div></div>

Turbo and Boiler have me pretty sold on the idea of going with a short action cal but I think you're right about dumping money into that 700. The 284 has awesome ballistics but more powder, harder to find brass, more recoil in case the wife feels like shooting, there is a lot to be said for keeping it within my needs. Like you said, when/if i move and need extended range, I can always but a set of go/nogo gauges and a new barrel.

Just for kicks, any thoughts on the 6.5CM vs the 260? I'm pretty sure with a long action I can take better advantage of the space in the 260 cartridge but factory match ammo is damn cheap on the CM. I don't want to start a pissing match with that one though as they're so closed to equal in short action. Thanks again for all the help guys!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: propeine</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Do you happen to have a build thread or be willing to share the results of your 260 with the criterion? Thats a great looking stick!</div></div>

Thanks...I have a build thread for my 223AI but not for my 260.

My current 260 is a centerfeed 10FP short action w/Accutrigger, McMillan A5 stock with CDI DBM, and Criterion 26" 1:8 varmint contour barrel. Since building my 223AI, I don't shoot it nearly as much as I used to.

I haven't shot much paper with it recently, but I've had sub-half MOA or better performance with:

123gr A-Max & 39.3gr Varget
130gr Berger VLD & 43.5gr RL17
140gr A-Max & 43.1gr H4350

The barrel absolutely loved the 130gr VLDs, but they were a bit too spendy for my cheap arse.

I recently got a couple boxes of 140gr BTHP to give them a spin...

Im on my phone so this will be short and I apologize for not responding everyone's posts. I think I have a buyer for the REM for 75-100 morethan I would be paying for it. Neither of us have commuitted to anything but a couple bucks to help towards either a 12lrp or my 110 can't hurt regardless

Nothing wrong with working on a long action, if anything it increases your options. The 284 is a great cartridge, I just recently built my 110 as a switch barrel between 284 and 243, the 284 is a great, balanced cartridge with a lot going for it and good barrel life, with Reloader 17 it is a great contender in the long range game. 280 might also be a good choice, or you could go with a short action cartridge like the 260 or 243 (I use a 243 barrel on my long action Savage), you would have ample room to load em as long as you want.