• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Build for when I get home

11ZuluB4

Private
Minuteman
Jul 5, 2008
Banks OR
Evening Gentlemen, or should I say afternoon for you guys. Either way, here is my deal. Im currently over here in the sandbox and have been considering a build for when I get home. Im not get crazy or nothin, just start with a basic rifle and slowly build up. I was considering a 700 sps varmint in 308, a Mcmillan A5 stock, Harris 6-9 bipod, Badger base and rings, and then a Falcon Menace (later a Night Force) FFP in Mil/Mil. Hows that for starters? Just curious about the SPS. Is that a good action and barrel combo for this set up or should I go for something more tuned. My level of experience is limited to a M24 SWS and M110 SASS and M107 SASR for long range. Starting to build one is completely new to me. Any comments or advice would be appreciated.

Re: Build for when I get home

That sounds good and the SPS is a good combo.

Something to think about.... for an extra $600 you can have a custom barrel installed and then you just need a trigger and you have a bitchin' custom gun that will shot bug holes if done by a quality smith.

I am running something pretty similar to what you are thinking of doing.I have an A4 instead of an A5 but it's a SPS varmint with a Falcon 4-14x44 FFP mil/mil adjustments with a 20 moa left hand seekins base and Farrell rings.I think it will serve you well for quite a while.Once you shoot the barrel out of it then you can upgrade to a custom barrel and have some action work done as well.

004-2.jpg

005-1.jpg

11B....we both know combat pay can do better than an SPS!

My vote is for a GAP A5...

Yes it can, but HH6 is the over riding authority on this and it is stretching it already lol. All in good time though.

Hey WOMBAT, thats a good lookin stick you got there. I would like one of those but only for the correct shooting hand J/K. Anyways, I like that I think thats what Ill go for. How do you like the mil/mil scope. All my experience is with moa and Ive been reading up and it sounds like mil/mil is way better.

B4- judging by your MOS and ASIs a stock SPS wont work for you and will be holding you back accuracy-wise. If the wifey is giving you a hard time about the $$$ (that you earned putting your butt on the line, but I digress) then skip the McM stock and use the money towards getting an aftermarket barrel installed by a quality gunsmith. Maybe get the bolt and action trued by him and glass bedded as well. I had R&D Precision (HateCA screenname on here) do mine and it shoots under .5 moa now. What more could someone want?

A aftermarket barrel and some attention paid to your receiver will do much more for your accuracy than a stiffer stock.

HTH

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: McCrazy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">B4- judging by your MOS and ASIs a stock SPS wont work for you and will be holding you back accuracy-wise. If the wifey is giving you a hard time about the $$$ (that you earned putting your butt on the line, but I digress) then skip the McM stock and use the money towards getting an aftermarket barrel installed by a quality gunsmith. Maybe get the bolt and action trued by him and glass bedded as well. I had R&D Precision (HateCA screenname on here) do mine and it shoots under .5 moa now. What more could someone want?

A aftermarket barrel and some attention paid to your receiver will do much more for your accuracy than a stiffer stock.

HTH </div></div>

Ditto, get a Rem PSS stock for a couple hundred bucks used and have Randy open her up a bit to accept the new barrel/lug and roll with it!

MC - did you get promoted recently?

Thanks,she is a work in progress.I am really glad I have gone to the FFP mil/mil scope,just read the reticle and dial it in.The customs are definitely way more accurate,but I think that if you are on a tight budget as I am you will be happy with a setup like mine.It will hold sub moa with handloads and that's without any work done by a smith.The only thing that has been done is a bedding job,which I done myself(big thanks to wnroscoe's tutorial).

PM on the way 1MT.

As far as cash is concerned, Wife and I are saving for a house on this deployment and dont wanna burn too much of the cash. But Im pickin up what your putin down.

What specifically does lapping the lugs and having the action "printed" mean per say. Im curious about how much of a difference it makes. What do you have done to your actions? Im still trying to pick up some of the smithing lingo

When people say "truing" the action, it consists of squaring everything to the center line of the action as much a humanly possible. How we are tough here at School is to true the bolt nose to the body section of the bolt(Remington have 3 piece bolts where the nose is very rarely running true to the body). then squaring the face and lugs in the action to the center line of the actions raceways.

Lapping on the other hand is a very controversial subject when it comes to smiths. How i am being taught is that lapping should never be done because if the lugs aren't perfectly square to each other already (which would make lapping useless anyways) when you start lapping things will always go to the point of the least resistance (which ever lug is lower) which will generally cause the bolt to favor to one side.

I'm not trying to start a war about lapping just explaining how i am taught

Hope this helps
Nathan

Thanks Skoug, thats a pretty down and dirty of how it works. Do 700 SPS usually come from the factory that out of wack? Im sure our M24s come with this already right?

The M24s are built in Remington's custom shop to higher specs than the main production 700s. I don't know for sure what they do or not but the M24s are only guaranteed to 1 moa. Lots of 700s with just a 5R barrel shoot better than that though.

Makes me tend to think the custom shop probably just checks tolerances and picks receivers that happened to be manufactured better and uses them rather than a regular 700 that gets a random action off the line.

Also, the barrels used in the Remington 5R are probably extras or ones that didn't quite make the cut for an M24. I did read somewhere on here that Remington is now producing it's own 5R barrels instead of taking delivery from Mike Rock.

A little quality control can go a long way towards keeping specs from stacking up and getting too far out of whack just by using normal production parts. This gives the average M24 better accuracy than a normal 700. However I'm sure there is the occasional lucky 700 out there that can outshoot most M24s, and there are surely quite a few 5Rs that can outshoot most of the M24s.