• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Build in a .308/7.62x51

kmontang

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 30, 2014
Dallas, TX
Im looking to build an AR platform in .308/7.62x51. budget not including optics (already picked out) is about 2K give or take a couple hundred. my priorities, in order are:

reliability
accuracy
length (no longer than an 18 in barrel, YHM 3400TI is going on the end)
weight

I am not a trained gunsmith, but am fairly proficient with my current -15's, but I don't have experience in building from scratch. I'm wondering who has some good advice for products that give me the results I want, without the extra fluffy price. any help is much appreciated. I am probably going to do most of the build pieced out, btu if anyone knows of good complete lowers/uppers, I'd love to hear about them as well

I would recommend a MEGA upper lower combo. Torque spec on AR 10 on the barrel nut is 45-90 ft/lbs if IIRC. All you need is a torque wrench and you can install your barrel of choice. Trigger and other parts can be found on many websites.

http://megaarms.com/maten/receiver-sets/billet-upper-lower-sets/ambi-billet-upper-lower-set/

Buy a bolt Carrier from Fulton Armory

http://www.fulton-armory.com/FAR-308-Upper-Parts.aspx

Send to Kreiger to get a barrel

http://www.kriegerbarrels.com/AR_10DPMS_LR-c1246-wp3393.htm#AR-10/DPMS-LR

Last edited:
I built mine with a CMMG lower and a DPMS upper with a troy MFR rifle length rail. I'm using a DPMS BCG 18" heavy profile arrel and an A2 stock. Weighs 12 lbs unloaded without optics or bipod. I'm thinking of ordering a Douglas Air Gauge barrel from Craddock Precision.

My YHM Phantom LT is still in jail

I'm doing a Mega build with a JP barrel kit. Those two items alone put you right around your budget. Once you add it a trigger, stock and grip, BCG, you'd probably be over $2k. My build will cost around $2400-$2600, but it has everything I want. If you want to go a little bit cheaper, you might keep your eye on the PSA 308 upper and lower that should be coming out soon, or just go with DPMS parts.

Just remember that sourcing your parts for the build is but one portion of the equation.

You'll also need the tools to PROPERLY assemble the rifle from those parts once you have them all in hand. That will quickly ADD to the costs that you'll have to factor into your build, including but not limited to: a) a bench vise; b) vise blocks suitable for whatever upper receiver you opt for (this is a must for barrel installations); c) torque wrench to install your barrel/barrel nut (along with any proprietary wrenches you might need for that install/handguard install depending on what options you select in that regard); d) any other misc tools such as a multi-tool, spanner for the buttstock if you opt for collapsible, etc., etc., etc.

I'll second the MATEN as an excellent option for the basis of your rifle project, there are companies out there now with current inventory of the basic upper/lower MATEN sets for $625 and even some with the KeyMod rail sets starting around $825, but there are plenty of alternatives out there. SI Defense has some nice matched receiver sets for ~$550 for anodized and ~$650 for NiB...they are DPMS-platform with the HIGH receiver pattern. Generally you can find basic DPMS stuff if you are willing to hunt around and be patient. DPMS sets can be had for ~$500 or so.

You really need to do your homework and first decide what pattern you want (i.e. - Armalite AR-10 vs. DPMS LR-308/KAC), what options/features you want/need, etc., add some money to your budget for mags/mounts/bipod/etc., and just generally start putting together a "Wish List" of your parts. Without that, you'll quickly get well into and over your budget if you aren't careful. ;)

I have three MA TEN's all with Geissele triggers and Rainier Arms Ultra Match barrels.
There may be better barrels but not by much.
Good Luck.

thanks for all the help!
between this forum and a couple others I've checked, the MATEN seems like a consensus.
as for the tools, I have access to everything firearms related short of a C and C machine at work that I can use free of charge.

this is the current "working wishlist" so far, with prices listed being MSR

Mega arms upper/lower/monolithic rail-883
Noveske 7.62 18” barrel- 554
Geissele SSA-E trigger-280
Magpul PRS stock-255
Leupold Mark 4 ER/T 4.5-14 M5 front focal- 1000
Shadow ops weaponry NiB coated BCG- 236

obviously I am missing some of the minor parts, and the optic is thrown in there, but are there any major/glaring compatibility issues in that list as is?

this is the current "working wishlist" so far, with prices listed being MSR

Mega arms upper/lower/monolithic rail-883
Noveske 7.62 18” barrel- 554
Geissele SSA-E trigger-280
Magpul PRS stock-255
Leupold Mark 4 ER/T 4.5-14 M5 front focal- 1000
Shadow ops weaponry NiB coated BCG- 236

obviously I am missing some of the minor parts, and the optic is thrown in there, but are there any major/glaring compatibility issues in that list as is?

The PRS can be had from Hide vendors for ~$200 shipped (get with member ceylonc...Ceylon Blackwell with DeltaOutdoorsman.com on the PRS as he'd had black ones at that price for some time). The SSA-E trigger price is WAY high as well since they can be had for ~$225 + S&H. You'll also need: a) all your stock hardware (receiver extension, .308 rifle buffer and .308 rifle buffer spring); b) misc. lower parts not including the takedown/pivot pins/hardware, FCG, etc. that you'll either get with the receiver set or have from your other purchases; c) I'd opt for an adjustable gas block, especially if you'll be running the rifle suppressed down the road, unless your Noveske comes with the lo-pro block that you want to use and you don't want adjustability; d) gas tube/roll pin/etc. if the block you select doesn't have all that incl.; e) a muzzle device or thread protector (5/8x24); etc., etc.

As a word of caution...the Noveske 18" barrel is an Armalite-pattern barrel. While it will work just fine with the MATEN, you will need to run an ARMALITE-PATTERN BCG with it!! You should NOT mix and match patterns in terms of using different barrels/BCGs. Since the Shawdow Ops Weaponry BCG is a DPMS/KAC pattern bolt/carrier, it is ill-advised to use it with an Armalite-pattern barrel. The good news is that Armalite AR-10 BCGs are readily available and will run you ~$250.

what would you recommend for a good adjustable gas block?

and thanks for the heads up on the DPMS vs. Armalite pattern BCG's...I have built a few -15's, but Im figuring out fast that -10's are a whole new ballgame in that area.
also, does the PRS come with its own buffer tube?

what would you recommend for a good adjustable gas block?

and thanks for the heads up on the DPMS vs. Armalite pattern BCG's...I have built a few -15's, but Im figuring out fast that -10's are a whole new ballgame in that area.
also, does the PRS come with its own buffer tube?

I am a big proponent of the SLR Rifleworks adjustable gas blocks which will work well for your Noveske tube as well. They are single-tool adjustable with 15-position detent/click-adjustable settings from full off to full open so that you can tune in your rifle for both suppressed and non-suppressed fire in a hurry without monkeying around with set screws, loctite, BS, etc. ;) See here: Gas Blocks

The PRS does NOT come with a buffer tube from the factory...so unless you happen to purchase it from somewhere that offers a "kit" with the stock, you'll have to source those parts as well. There is no different between the Rifle/A1/A2 receiver extension for the AR-15 and for the large-frame ARs so when looking for parts, you can keep that in mind. You should be able to readily source the receiver extension, .308 rifle buffer and .308 rifle spring for ~$50 total shipped.

it looks like the noveske comes with a fixed gas block. will I have issues with a suppressor with a fixed block? I run an adjustable piston on my -15's when I run a suppressor, so should I run the adjustable here as well?

https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1840

I personally prefer the advantages that the adjustable blocks offer for suppressed shooting. Frankly, many (if not most) .308 gas gun barrels tend to run on the overgassed side right out of the box anyway. Thus, once you slap a suppressor on it, you are only compounding the problem which can lead to malfunctions, increased wear/tear on your rifle and its components, as well as potential accuracy issues.

A quality adjustable gas block, whether the SLR ones I referenced above or any other good options out on the market, will resolve any overgassing headaches, as well as give you the ability to tune the rifle for optimum performance with both suppressed and unsuppressed fire. Plus, once you know where your block is set for unsuppressed shooting, then you get it dialed in for suppressed fire, it is just a simple matter with the SLR block of knowing how many "clicks" from one position to the other to have it dialed in whether you can is off or on the rifle.

ETA: One issue to keep in mind...the Noveske 18" barrels use the Armalite "intermediate" length gas system. Thus, you'll need the gas tube seen here: https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2256 and here http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=10007005

Because of that "intermediate" length (Armalite calls it Carbine length, Noveske says "Intermediate" but its the same, 12-1/16" length), it may be well underneath the MATEN's proprietary handguard system. If so, you'll have to be cognizant of the size of any gasblock and ensure that you'll have sufficient room under the rail to get it mounted up without contacting the rail. Can't recall off hand what the ID is on the MATEN rail system, but I think (don't quote me) that it is 1.75", but I'm not sure on that one).

Last edited:
yeah, looking at the MATEN, it looks to have more than enough clearance for the SLR adj. block. Im torn between the noveske barrel for 550 and the ranier for 450. i know both are great products. my next question would be are the diameter/ radius of the gas tubes the same? i know on -15's they are, so does that hold over for -10's as well?

yeah, looking at the MATEN, it looks to have more than enough clearance for the SLR adj. block. Im torn between the noveske barrel for 550 and the ranier for 450. i know both are great products. my next question would be are the diameter/ radius of the gas tubes the same? i know on -15's they are, so does that hold over for -10's as well?

Its been a while since I messed with a Noveske AR-10 barrel, but I THINK that they are 0.875" journals from my best recollection, but you should confirm with Noveske (or Rainier) before you start buying components that may/may not mate up. No difference between an AR-15 and and AR-10/large-frame AR gas block...they are interchangeable.