• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Build is finally done

mwilkins

Minuteman
Jun 1, 2010
Sachse, TX.
After waiting a year to get all of the components in and assembled, it is finally built. Loaded up a few mild hand loads this evening. Should be able to go break her in this Saturday.

22 lbs. on the scales. That will probably go up when I replace the NF with a USO and the Harris with an Atlas.

Sorry about the pic quality. Kind of dark in the house but will get better pics during day lights hours tomorrow.

Stiller Tac 338
Bartlein 5R 1.350 down to 1", 1:9.5 tw at 30"
Allen Precision 5 port Pain Killer brake
Timney trigger
NF 5.5x22x56 - to be replaced with a USO 5x25
AICS 2.0 folder
Harris Bipod - to be replaced with an Atlas
Viperskins
Duracoat FDE - camo to come a little later.

Last edited:
Badass rifle, I would love to build a .338, but I could never afford to shoot it.

Looks good. My kreiger 338 barrel just shipped.. still waiting on the defiance machine action though... takes a qhile but hopfully its worth it all

She glorious! I had a rifle I was told was chambered in .338. It was actually chambered in $5 bill.

Nice looking rifle. Why are u changing optics?

The glass that is mounted is off of another rifle. Needed something on it to put rounds down the tube.

Chopper said:
She glorious! I had a rifle I was told was chambered in .338. It was actually chambered in $5 bill.

Figured that out real quick when purchasing factory rounds. Now set up to reload and already have my first rounds ready for ladder testing. Will break in the barrel with Corbon 300's then move over to the hand loads.

Jayson said:
She's a beauty! I too would like to see some 300yard targets

Didn't make it to the range yesterday but am hoping to get there today. Itching to pull the trigger for the first time on this build. Will post up pics once it is dialed in.

Thanks for the comments guys and Happy Fathers Day.

Put some rounds down the tube on Sunday. Didn't try to stretch the legs out and only put 12 rounds down range. First three were clover leafed. Did a quick clean on the barrel and put three more down range and followed suit. Second and third groups opened up just a bit but nothing over .750". Last group clover leafed again. All groups were at 100 and only three rounds so I didn't take any pics. Will do so when I reach out to some longer distances. 100 yrd pics for a .338 isn't anything to brag about in my mind.

This was my project for today. Gonna carry it out to a buddy's property this weekend and start working on a little 500 yrd range. Needed something to shoot prone from....

Very nice! It's a 22lb lead slinging monster. ;)

How effective is the brake? I'd assume it does a great job considering overall gun weight and size of the brake alone.

General, went with a 30" finish length in attempt to fully utilize the capabilities of the round. Although my skill sets will probably not let that happen, I know the gun should be capable. Plus I will not be carrying this thing very far. I actually tried to build it as heavy as possible as I am a small framed person weighing under 150 lbs. It will become my primary Pig Killer gun. From afar of course.....

Thrusty, it was absolutely a dream to shoot. Recoil was very tame and can honestly say it felt less than a .308 round. I do believe one could shoot this gun all day without shoulder fatigue.
The brake is a beast. It is very loud, let me state that again, very loud. Especially under a covered shooting area. Muzzle blast is pretty intense if you are sitting one lane over on either side. With the length of the barrel and the size of the ports, the shooter gets none of the muzzle blast. It all goes to the side and will clear anything off of the bench next to you if it is not being held down.

Going to try and make it back out this weekend and stretch the legs on it a bit along with working up a proper load for it.