• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Build me out of the Production Div

Nick Roy

A grunt with wings
Minuteman
Jun 21, 2023
Alabama
I’ve spent the last week researching production division minded rifles and reading through the forums here. The general consensus from all of my fellow degenerates is that most if not all big brand production rifles (DD, Seekins, Aero, etc) are not up to par. The second consensus is that the MPA and GAP are the best within that division. The third is that building a rifle in open class can be done with a very similar or better price point, and better performance.

It’s time to put your money where your mouth is and figure out the build!
So here’s my challenge boys and girls.
Put a build list in your reply for a full build minus glass, bipods, and bag and include prices.
Requirements as follows:

1) Build must be no more than $3000

2) Build must have a sub MOA capability, preferably 1/2 MOA (gunsmithing permitting of course)

3)Chassis/stock must include adjustable ergonomics (the more the better)

4) Accessories required include an ARCA rail, quality muzzle brake, and 20MOA rail

Bonus points for price saved and extra (useful) features.

BUILD ONE YOUD WANT TO SHOOT!

Not a real competition with prizes. Just figured it would be interesting to see what everyone comes up with and a quality waste of time for some of the more experienced members that could prove useful to the newer ones!

Reactions: DubfromGA
I knew this was coming! 😂 Would be great if they weren’t limited run builds but then again that quality isn’t meant for mass production.
They just had some in stock not too long ago. It doesn’t have all your needs and you would have to see about adding them.

MPA PMR rifle if your a chassis person and the new CDG action.

Reactions: NewsShooter
Man I went from looking forward to lists of parts to wanting to buy a new MPA 😂
This is why I come to you guys!

Can you build a production rifle now? Used to be it was production and had to be bought as a complete rifle. Putting anything together no matter the cost was open.

I'm with @Rob01 - I'm not aware that factory rifles could be "built".

However, I'm happy to help you spec a build for under $3k.

Here is my recommendations:

- LP Fuzion barreled action from TS Customs, in your preferred cartridge, barrel length and contour.
- KRG Bravo Chassis
- BnA Tacsport 2 stage trigger

This should put you under $3k. The Bravo is a great chassis that has plenty of upgrade potential. TS Customs will build you a barreled action that will hammer.

If you want to save some money, go with an ARC CDG action.

Reactions: nrspence
I'm with @Rob01 - I'm not aware that factory rifles could be "built".

However, I'm happy to help you spec a build for under $3k.

Here is my recommendations:

- LP Fuzion barreled action from TS Customs, in your preferred cartridge, barrel length and contour.
- KRG Bravo Chassis
- BnA Tacsport 2 stage trigger

This should put you under $3k. The Bravo is a great chassis that has plenty of upgrade potential. TS Customs will build you a barreled action that will hammer.

If you want to save some money, go with an ARC CDG action.
That’s a great suggestion that will get someone in the game. A lot of good parts that you won’t want to upgrade in a year. Very debatable if it’s a better setup than what you get from MPA.

Reactions: kthomas
MPA prod rifle and use a better scope all you’ll be in open. That’s what I shot a good portion of last year lol

Under $3k for an open gun

CDG action $900
Fully kitted XLR envy w/ C6 $1500
TT Diamond $300
proof prefit $500

I shot this configuration tail end of last year and to start this year and love it. I’ve only gone back to my C4 chassis recently but very very competitive configuration with everything you’d want.

Find one that balances close neutral on a GC out of the box. Keep in mind $200-300 of modular weights is 'normal'. But that is also 15 to 20% cost increase even on a $1500 chassis. And pay particular attention if buying a KRG bravo--with very short leverage, and limited weight capacity.

Find one that balances close neutral on a GC out of the box. Keep in mind $200-300 of modular weights is 'normal'. But that is also 15 to 20% cost increase even on a $1500 chassis. And pay particular attention if buying a KRG bravo--with very short leverage, and limited weight capacity.

The KRG Bravo definitely takes a bit more finessing to balance right.

You have to be careful with barrel lengths and contours - a 24" heavy palma is probably about as heavy as you can put on it while still having a decent balance point, but that will also require a couple of steel LOP spacers.

When does the ACC Gen 2 Premier come out? Might be a good option with a CDG action and a straight 1.25" barrel. It'll help you balance the gun without weights.

I'm also partial to Bix and Andy triggers. I've seen and had too many issues with TT diamonds to recommend them.

If you're going to compete the most important thing is a action that feeds and extracts perfect and buttery smooth every time in every condition. That pretty much leaves lone peak, impact, and defiance. I would not spend 3k on something that just gets me by. Cruise the px until something comes up.

If you're going to compete the most important thing is a action that feeds and extracts perfect and buttery smooth every time in every condition. That pretty much leaves lone peak, impact, and defiance. I would not spend 3k on something that just gets me by. Cruise the px until something comes up.

I tend to agree.

Build a base on a quality barreled action, and upgrade to stock/chassis of your choice later on down the road when you develop those preferences.

Though based on my experience with my Mausingfield, I would think the CDG can handle adverse conditions pretty well. My only hesitation with the CDG is the AW mag situation, and working out those nuances to get 100% reliability.

Reactions: M4orturnate
If you're going to compete the most important thing is an action that feeds and extracts perfect and buttery smooth every time in every condition. That pretty much leaves lone peak, impact, and defiance. I would not spend 3k on something that just gets me by. Cruise the px until something comes up.
The question is what high end actions would you want to avoid in a match rifle?? In this day and age their is a whole lot of high end actions that run great in prs match conditions while running br based cartridges.

@Nick Roy again you better check the PRS rule book to see if it changes that you can build your own rifle for production. Always had to be a made rifle you purchased complete.

Seems like the title of the thread is asking to build a rifle to get out of the production division. Not compete in it.
Well that would be easy then lol I saw all the mentions of the MPA and GAP production rifles and his trying to stay under the production cost limit and thought he was trying to build his own rifle for production.

The question is what high end actions would you want to avoid in a match rifle?? In this day and age their is a whole lot of high end actions that run great in prs match conditions while running br based cartridges.
The 3 I mentioned are the ones I've personally had great success with and have seen others never have issues with. I also have a kelbys id say was great if it wasn't for the mechanical ejector. Impact is probably the most tested action out there and nobody ever has anything bad to say about them. Now lone peak and impact are all I buy.

That is coooooorrrreeect

So basically you want to build a rifle for under $3000 to shoot matches with? So why mention production at all. Just confusing the whole thing.

Bighorn Origin
PVA Osprey prefit in caliber of choice
Used MPA chassis
Timney HIT trigger
Brake of choice

It’s simple.

If you're going to compete the most important thing is an action that feeds and extracts perfect and buttery smooth every time in every condition. That pretty much leaves lone peak, impact, and defiance. I would not spend 3k on something that just gets me by. Cruise the px until something comes up.
CDG runs butter smooth with no issues. Run AW mags in a modern chassis and it’s as good as anything out there. My CDG feeds my AW mags smoother than my ATX. I’ve seen way too many issues with defiance. Impact, Lone Peak, CDG are the short list to me.
$3k for the MPA prod rifle is a top tier build and leaves nothing on the table compared to a top tier impact build.

Not sure that there is a lot to avoid per se. But personally I’ve seen a ton of defiance break or bind that I wouldn’t run one. I don’t trust the solus at all. I know people sponsored by them that have gone through 3 actions just to get one that works. Same thing with Mack bros and ultimatum actions. I wouldn’t consider some of those high end but still ones to avoid regardless.

Not sure that there is a lot to avoid per se. But personally I’ve seen a ton of defiance break or bind that I wouldn’t run one. I don’t trust the solus at all. I know people sponsored by them that have gone through 3 actions just to get one that works. Same thing with Mack bros and ultimatum actions. I wouldn’t consider some of those high end but still ones to avoid regardless
I don’t have the most experience, a few years of one day matches and a few two day national matches. I have not seen to many actions go down. Most of the issues I’ve seen are more mag related and feeding issues. I don’t like the direction defiance has went as a company, and don’t know to many people running them anymore. I think you are good to go with about any high end action.

I don’t have the most experience, a few years of one day matches and a few two day national matches. I have not seen to many actions go down. Most of the issues I’ve seen are more mag related and feeding issues. I don’t like the direction defiance has went as a company, and don’t know to many people running them anymore. I think you are good to go with about any high end action.

Defiance doesn't represent the best value these days, with the new pricing schedule.

Defiance killed themselves. They are just dying a slow death.

They priced themselves out of the conversation.

Defiance makes a quality action, but there's too many options now. Easy to pass them over with the new prices. I'm sure it's going to hurt them.

Reactions: M4orturnate
They priced themselves out of the conversation.

Defiance makes a quality action, but there's too many options now. Easy to pass them over with the new prices. I'm sure it's going to hurt them.
I had a deviant that was DLC from bugholes and it was indeed a very slick action. It fed so smooth from polymer Pmags sometimes I had to check if a round was in the chamber. I shouldn’t have sold it but wanted an impact lol.

So basically you want to build a rifle for under $3000 to shoot matches with? So why mention production at all. Just confusing the whole thing.

Bighorn Origin
PVA Osprey prefit in caliber of choice
Used MPA chassis
Timney HIT trigger
Brake of choice

It’s simple.
Because, as much as I may use this thread for a future endeavor, I meant what I said in the post. I’m interested to see guys who are experienced in the series try to beat production without going way over the production price 🤷🏼‍♂️

...without going way over the production price 🤷🏼‍♂️
The cost of competitive "production price" rifle once setup
with ammo and match fees, etc for 5 x 1 day matches,
is about $8-9 thousand dollars...

Because, as much as I may use this thread for a future endeavor, I meant what I said in the post. I’m interested to see guys who are experienced in the series try to beat production without going way over the production price 🤷🏼‍♂️

It's not hard as I showed you with the list earlier. You could also get a PVA Solus barreled action for $1099 and then get a MPA chassis or Manners used here and add a trigger and brake and be under $3000 easily.

I tried but I'm still $50 over your budget. (good news is I probably over estimated the Rock Creek price).

1710725680779.png

I had a deviant that was DLC from bugholes and it was indeed a very slick action. It fed so smooth from polymer Pmags sometimes I had to check if a round was in the chamber. I shouldn’t have sold it but wanted an impact lol.

I have a DLC Deviant for my .300NM, and it's a great action. Amazingly smooth.

Here’s my setup for the last year. Definitely clears the budget. Not as Gucci, but it gets you competing without dumb production rules or budget limits. Included sales, certs i picked up or got in the PX, or member discounts.

$300 Pawn shop 1992 SA Rem 700
$475 25CM MTU Remage and nut from Crown Ridge Barrel works
$1050 XLR envy pro C6 all weights (40% cert)
$10 TT special 2 stage ($250 mile hi cert)
$70 2 MDT mags (Black Friday)
$75 Precision armament M11 brake (prs member discount)
$80 Area419 20MOA base (Black Friday)
Total: $2080 rifle leaving you $900 for ammo or a class.
$2100 Vortex Razor G3 (Memorial Day sale)

So $4200 give or take for a competitive rifle in open class vs $3k production rifle and MK5 optic for $2200.

Easy Button: Origin, Bravo, TT primary, and a prefit. Or a barreled Solus action and a chassis from the PX.

Production is just too limiting in my opinion. If you’re going to spend the money and time, build what you want, the way you want, and make the most of your matches and fun.

Good luck 👍

Reactions: Nick Roy
I have a DLC Deviant for my .300NM, and it's a great action. Amazingly smooth.
I have a Deviant in nitride that I got from Altus before prices went up (up stupidly and I wouldn't buy it again at today's prices, sadly)

I love it and it works beautifully. Not a hiccup. Now, I don't compete and so my rifles are probably (well, surely) not exposed to the same environment as though that do.

By the by, @AccuSol-ERN did a beautiful job on the BA.