• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition Build options?

fnberzerker

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2012
Idaho, USA
Hey guys,
Just wondering about a potential build for starting into F class comps. Right now I have an FN FNAR with a 20" barrel. I would just try to beef up my loads for that rifle, but with it being a semi auto, Im not sure I can accomplish that without over-pressurizing the chamber. I figure with my loads right now I go transonic at about 800ish, shooting 175 gr SMKs. I would like to strive for further distances, thus giving me a hopeful chance to have fun and not be envious at matches.
smile.gif

My knee jerk reaction is to sell the FNAR and use the proceeds towards a new rifle. I've shot savage before and like them, and the same with remington, although I am hung up on FN for some reason. I understand that they use a model 70 action for their SPR.

My question is what would be a good build project for around 1600? (optic, rifle, bipod.... EVERYTHING) I would like to stay with .308, just personal preference, and Im already set up to reload that ammo. Should I build off of a M70 action, or R700, etc...

I appreciate everyone's willingness to help in general on this site, especially being a new member. I look forward to chatting with ya'll and maybe seeing you at shoots, and thanks in advance!

Re: Build options?

Assuming you are going to shoot F-TR class off of a bipod....buy the SPR (since you have a hankering for the FN) have a good smith install a quality bbl (Broughton, Bartlein, Brux, Hart, etc) in a twist (1:11) that will work with the 175 - 185gr Berger/JLK/Sierra/Lapua bullets. I would go with a really long bbl (finish length of 32"). This will give you excellent velocity and flexibility on your loads. Because of the long bbl, you will have to be cautious of the weight limit....you may have to go with a Centershot bipod to keep you under the limit (18.18 lbs). Nightforce on the optics or maybe the new Sightron...as much power as you can afford (42 to 50 power is the most popular)... hope this helps

Snafu, his total budget is $1600, a Nighforce and Centershot bipod will cost that alone. FNB, if you are serious about F-class I would take a long hard long at the Savage FT/R rifle in 308 (model 18154 I think). For about $1050 its a great place to start, a regular old Harris bipod and search around for a decent scope to throw on top of it and off you go and have fun. Quality Scopes, rings and bases aren't cheap, but some of the older Leupold, Redfield or Weaver T-series scopes are pretty good value for money and get the job done until you can afford to upgrade.

cool, thanks to you both for replies. Snafu, I would love to get an spr, just a little pricey right now:) MJH, Ill take a look at that savage, I think I can pull it off, and have enough to where if I sold my vortex and took what was left from the rifle I could maybe pick up one of the scopes you mentioned. Are there many vortex optics at shoots that either of you have seen?

fnb - the shoots I go to have a wide assortment of rifles/optics in the F-TR class....many shooters have tactical models (i.e. 20" bbl and 3-15x mildot scopes), but the guys in the top 5 are almost always running gear like i mentioned above to gain the advantage at long range. It is not an inexpensive sport if you get serious....but as mjh is saying, you can always upgrade later...I was just trying to save you some money if you were serious....if I had started with the right gear first, I would have been better off and spent a lot less in the long run. At the midrange events (300/500/600yd distances) the tactical models do pretty good, but the guys with the long range rigs usually still trump them there too.....as you will see, the equipment is a small portion of the consistency/accuracy picture...wind reading, position, trigger technique, follow thru all have to be honed skills to mazimize/compliment your equipment.

F-class is a specialized discipline that influences greatly the equipment needed to become competitive. I have never shot F-Open; all my F-class shooting has been in F-T/R. I know there is a tendency for people with tactical rifles to come and try out F-T/R, thinking their "tactical" rifles that can shoot sub-half-MOA all day long, as long as they do their part, will be up to the task.

At 600 yards and beyond, I am here to tell you these tactical rifles will not be competitive in F-class. F-class is about sending 15 or 20 rounds downrange at a known distance in a specific time period on the same target; this is totally different from sniping or tactical events.

A competitive F-T/R rig does not have to be expensive, but you need to know where to put your money. I will tell you right away that using an FNAR as the basis for an LR F-T/R rig is not the wisest move you can make. You might want to go to local gun stores and see if you can trade it for some type of short action Remington 700 with a .473 boltface. That would become your donor action or rifle. The main feature of an F-class rifle, the thing that makes it competitive is a long, heavy barrel. So spend the money on the barrel.

I would suggest you read my post on the “Which Factory Rifle for F-T/R? thread” on how to put together an inexpensive LT F-T/R rifle that will outshoot any “tactical” rifle, in F-class competition.

You will also need to learn how to handload for competition and you will need to choose components, especially bullets, that will do the job for you.

Go with the Savage F-T/R and the best scope you can afford with the dollars you have left. Something in the 20 power range or more. 42 power Nightforces are the most common.

I just got an FNAR and love it!

As far as your "build" you need to be realistic, because "build" and "low budget" are words that don't go together in this industry.

Have you seen teh rifle that Vasily Zaytsev used? Adelbert Waldren used an M14 I believe. And Carlos Hathcock used a deer rifle, though he's also been seen with a remington 700. All these people and many more made lots of kills in the 500 to 1000 range without 4,000 scopes and just basic but GOOD rifles.

Will spending a ton of money make you a better shot? NO!!
Sure, the weapon itself will have a tigher MOA, but how much tighter? is it several thousand dollars worth of tighter?

I'm sticking with my FNAR because putting 3 bullets right next to each other is good enough for me, I don't them all in one hole

Plus my my FNAR is a hell of a lot funner to shoot and carry around than a 20 to 40 pound tacdriver. And I can shoot a lot quicker if I ever need to, and as bonus its a great hunting rifle
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Denys</div><div class="ubbcode-body">F-class is a specialized discipline that influences greatly the equipment needed to become competitive. I have never shot F-Open; all my F-class shooting has been in F-T/R. I know there is a tendency for people with tactical rifles to come and try out F-T/R, thinking their "tactical" rifles that can shoot sub-half-MOA all day long, as long as they do their part, will be up to the task.

At 600 yards and beyond, I am here to tell you these tactical rifles will not be competitive in F-class. F-class is about sending 15 or 20 rounds downrange at a known distance in a specific time period on the same target; this is totally different from sniping or tactical events.

A competitive F-T/R rig does not have to be expensive, but you need to know where to put your money. I will tell you right away that using an FNAR as the basis for an LR F-T/R rig is not the wisest move you can make. You might want to go to local gun stores and see if you can trade it for some type of short action Remington 700 with a .473 boltface. That would become your donor action or rifle. The main feature of an F-class rifle, the thing that makes it competitive is a long, heavy barrel. So spend the money on the barrel.

<span style="color: #FFFF00"><span style="font-weight: bold">My 25 inch 6.5x47 had 9 X's in a row during my first F Class match ever...don't rule out the tac guns</span>...</span>

I would suggest you read my post on the “Which Factory Rifle for F-T/R? thread” on how to put together an inexpensive LT F-T/R rifle that will outshoot any “tactical” rifle, in F-class competition.

You will also need to learn how to handload for competition and you will need to choose components, especially bullets, that will do the job for you.
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: avidflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="color: #FFFF00"><span style="font-weight: bold">My 25 inch 6.5x47 had 9 X's in a row during my first F Class match ever...don't rule out the tac guns</span>...</span>

</div></div>

I never discount anything, however, I was talking about F-T/R rifles and yours, while admirably precise, is not an F-T/R rig.

In F-T/R with a .308, I have seen many people come up to the line with a short barreled rifle and just be defeated by conditions that did not affect me and other long-barreled users as much. That extra couple hundred FPS does help.

Look to the Palma shooters for some guidance; they use every bit of barrel to get as high a velocity as possible and in very many ways, F-T/R is just like Palma; but with a scope and tiny targets.

Very true...and yes I think there is no doubt a dedicated rifle will have the edge every time.

Thanks for the help guys. I actually went with a savage 10 fp-sr. Traded (and added 100 bucks) the fn for it and a viper pst. Put my FTE on the barrel, did some stock mods, and Im happy to report that I am more comfortable with this rifle, which in turn has put 1000m in reach!! Now just to fine tune my technique. Will post pics in a day or so.

And as far as the style of shoots Im planning on, I may have spoken before knowing enough to talk. :S Im just planning on doing long range tac shoots for now. Im not sure how closely intertwined the two are.