• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Build parts are in, need some input 6.5x47 bullet

Hasgun Willtravel

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 21, 2007
Ionia County, MI
I have been struggling over this one. 6.5x47 Lapua.

My Pierce TAC repeater action has been done for quite some time, and the barrel has finally showed up. Its a 30" Broughton blank, to finish at 28" She will sit snuggly in a AICS 1.5 from our friend Adam Bauer. All my parts are in, and Pierce called me up to ask what bullet I wanted to shoot for chambering specs.

0513091257b-1.jpg

0513091255a.jpg

0513091256a.jpg

I told him I wanted to shoot the 142SMK, only because it shot so well out of my 6.5x284 and I still have a shit load of them sitting around. His reamers are not set up for this bullet, and the freebore is around .129 where as the PTG website recomends there .160 freebore for this bullet.

I understand that the 6.5x47 is more suited for the 123gr Lapua bullet, and imagine it was based around this bullet. The JBM calculator shows slight benifits over the 142 SMK, including less drop and wind drift. On paper it looks great, but am hesitant.

I am on the virge of saying fuck it, and ream it to a .260.

Anyone have a 6.5x47 that was reamed out to 123 scenars, and tried shooting the 142 SMK or the 139 Scenars? I would imagine you would have to seat that bullet real deep, as well as being jammed into the lands, but would like to hear shooters experiances.

And I suppose the worst case sceario, I have at least 500 142 SMK's that I would trade out for Lapua 123's.

Re: Build parts are in, need some input 6.5x47 bullet

My 6.5x47 Lapua has a 28" Border 5R barrel chambered with a PT&G no neck turn reamer throated specifically for the 123 Scenar. The 123 seems to be the ideal bullet for this case.

Here's my load specs -

Lapus brass (naturally)
123 Scenar seated .015" into lands for a COAL of 2.692"
37.5gr. Re15
BR-2 primers

avg vel 2990 @ 10ft from muzzle over my Oehler 35
ES 11, SD 4, accuracy is superb with 5-shot groups very consistantly in the low .4 MOA range

I use a .288" bushing in Redding dies, cases trimmed to 1.843"

This is the best load that I've tried yet, and I'm pretty much settled on it, but I'm gonna try some 130 Berger VLD's for the heck of it when I get a chance.

I see no reason to go to the heavier bullets with this case, besides I have a very nice 6.5-284 (Stiller TAC300, 30" Bartlein 5R in an AICS 1.5 LA) for the 142 SMK's and 139 Scenars.

Get yourself some 123 Scenars, 123 SMK's, and maybe some 130 VLD Bergers and I'll bet you'll find a bughole load that'll do everything you ask for from your 6.5x47.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SpotcheckBilly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My 6.5x47 Lapua has a 28" Border 5R barrel chambered with a PT&G no neck turn reamer throated specifically for the 123 Scenar. The 123 seems to be the ideal bullet for this case.

Here's my load specs -

Lapus brass (naturally)
37.5gr. Re15
BR-2 primers

avg vel 2990 @ 10ft from muzzle over my Oehler 35
ES 11, SD 4, accuracy is superb with 5-shot groups very consistantly in the low .4 MOA range

I use a .288" bushing in Redding dies, cases trimmed to 1.843"

This is the best load that I've tried yet, and I'm pretty much settled on it, but I'm gonna try some 130 Berger VLD's for the heck of it when I get a chance.

I see no reason to go to the heavier bullets with this case, besides I have a very nice 6.5-284 (Stiller TAC300, 30" Bartlein 5R in an AICS 1.5 LA) for the 142 SMK's and 139 Scenars.

Get yourself some 123 Scenars, 123 SMK's, and maybe some 130 VLD Bergers and I'll bet you'll find a bughole load that'll do everything you ask for from your 6.5x47.

</div></div>

Have you ever tried to seat a 142 SMK in that chamber?, and if so, what is the OACL for it?..that is the same reamer that Pierce has on hand, and will probably go that route. Just wanted to know if it would be a waste of time trying to shoot the 142smks out of a chamber reamed for the 123 scenar.

Also, what is your twist in that Border? I went with a 1/8 to shoot the heavies, is that less than optimal with the 123 scenars?

Just have them run the 129 freebore and enjoy. Mine was chambered with 109 freebore and loads the 130 vld's at 2.735~. I tried the 140's and the 142 SMK's and the speed just wasn't there to make it worth it. The 6.5x47 and 130's belong together IMO, and if shooting to 5-600 yds max, the 123's would be an excellent choice as well.

I also think the 142's are a little to heavy for that case. And in the ones that I have test fired the 123SMK edged out the Scenar. That being said, doesn't John have a 6.5 throater he can run in there if you want more free-bore?

The legendary Kampfeld that I have heard so much about! Your a big name in the shooting circles that I hang out with, and have had the pleasure to shoot a couple of your rigs. You do very fine work sir.

Yeah, John has the throater, and said that is an option, but he is so anal about everything being completely true and concentric that there is no substite for the proper reamer.

I think I am just going to go with the 123 SMK and the 123 Scenars. Thats what most guys are shooting, as far as I can gather, and with great success.

Hell, the hot little number these days out to 1k is the .243 1/7 with the 115 DTAC, so I think this will suffice.

I plan on doing 80% of my shooting inside and around 700 yards, but will be shooting 1K pretty regularly also, so I am trying to avoid another build because me dream gun isnt going to hack it...

I just got done building a 6.5x47 with a A.B.S carbon barrel, and I bought a standard "match" reamer from PTG. I have only shot the 120 a-max's and the 140 berger's. My rifle like's the 140's better so far with a .412 at 100yds. Not shure on speeds yet, but point of impacted at 100yds are pretty close between the two bullets. TM

Here's the C.O.L's on the two bullets listed.

120 a-max- 2.655 to the lands
140 VLD- 2.784 to the lands

nick, check out this article. it tests the round with the bullets you are interested in.
over there is an article, also by zak smith, that compares the round side by side with the 260 and 6.5 creedmore, its a great article, unfortunately, i couldnt find it. -cam
http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek084.html

I have read that article, and he compares the 6.5x47 to the 260 near the bottom of that page. That is the reason I dont feel too bad about scrapping the 142SMK and going with the 123 scenars. Thanks for the input fellas.

Nick,
My 6.5x47 Border barrel has a 1/8.5" twist. I've never tried the 142 SMK's in it because as I said in my earlier post I have a 6.5-284 for the heavier bullets, and it seems to me that the 6.5x47 lacks the powder capacity to drive the heavies fast enough to make them viable at 1000 yds. I built the 6.5x47 so I could avoid wearing out the throat on my 6.5-284 and I no longer have to use the 6.5-284 at the shorter ranges. So far, I haven't heard of anybody shooting the throat out of his 6.5x47
smile.gif

The Bartlein barrel on my 6.5-284 also has a 1/8.5" twist and there's never been a stability issue with it driving the heavy bullets. Although it's been said that "you can't overstabilize a bullet" I believe that you should stay on the slower side for more versatility.

About that .243 1/7" twist 115 DTAC combination that was mentioned, BTDT several years ago and in my experience it isn't what it's cracked up to be. Pressures tend to run really high when you push these bullets fast enough to get the ballistic advantage they promise and case life sucks. It just wasn't worth it for me, but I know that others swear by it.

IMO, the ultimate long range tactical rifle might be a .284 pushing the 180 Berger VLD's at about 2900 with a load of that new Re17 powder. Possibly the new "Fag Mag"! Relatively low recoil with superb ballistics. What can be better than that?

I too shot a 6.5x284 prior to this build, and liked it, was a laser, but the barrel life was less than desired, so I let that one go before I wore it out.

I think I am just going to see what this baby will do, then build a .338 Lapua next year. Tired of this "worrying about will it work shit".

I may have missed it but what twist is your barrel? I have a 30inch Bartlein 1:8.5 on my long range prone comp.rifle and use JLK 130's. I also agree that the 142's are a bit much for this case. The 130's have a great BC and you can still get good velocities out of them.
Len

I built a 6.5 x47L with the intentions of shooting 130 Bergers. I started out testing with the 123 Scenars because they were available when the rifle was built and the Bergers were not. Those 2 hundred count boxes shot well and I have since ordered several 1000 count boxes.

I have played very little with the 130s, but what little I did test them showed me no advantage over the 123s. The x47 is not the flattest-shooting thing out there, but it is relatively flat and very accurate. Hopefully barrel life will be excellent as well.

Nick,

Go with the 123 class bullets with the 6.5x47. The 139/142's are too heavy and will never reach the velocity needed to make them the bullet you desire. Matchking here on the Hide has one of the 6.5's I built. He's shooting the 123 Scenars at 2,920fps and doing it in grand style, under .250moa to 420 yards. I was going to build one for myself but went with a straight .260 instead with the 130 Bergers.

Edit,

I see MK posted while I was typing

I am glad that I went with a 28" finish length. I think if this doesnt satisfy, I will rechamber to .260 next year.

How fast do you need to push the 140's to make them "likeable"? My 6.5x47 shoots the 140 vld 2777. Doesn't a 308 push a 175MK around 26ish? Am I off course here? TM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> ...The 139/142's are too heavy and will never reach the velocity needed to make them the bullet you desire... </div></div>

lol.. I seen Mark Pharr push the 139s at 3050fps... I watched it...couldn't believe it. Shot MY load over it & the chrono registered my correct velocity... cuz I thought it was on crack!

of course the brass life is less than desirable, but it can be done...lol

ETA: Chrono was an Oehler 35

cheers

I am making up a new one. Its gonna be a improved version which will have the free bore to shoot the 130 and 140 bullets. I expect it to work perfectly. Nothing better then getting the same velocity's as a 6.5x284 with longer brass and barrel life.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SpotcheckBilly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My 6.5x47 Lapua has a 28" Border 5R barrel chambered with a PT&G no neck turn reamer throated specifically for the 123 Scenar. The 123 seems to be the ideal bullet for this case.

Here's my load specs -

Lapus brass (naturally)
37.5gr. Re15
BR-2 primers
</div></div>

Hi Billy,

my spotcheck, "Lapus brass (naturally)", Dude, you got some knockoff brass! LAPUA is the real deal....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BadBot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SpotcheckBilly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My 6.5x47 Lapua has a 28" Border 5R barrel chambered with a PT&G no neck turn reamer throated specifically for the 123 Scenar. The 123 seems to be the ideal bullet for this case.

Here's my load specs -

Lapus brass (naturally)
37.5gr. Re15
BR-2 primers
</div></div>

Hi Billy,

my spotcheck, "Lapus brass (naturally)", Dude, you got some knockoff brass! LAPUA is the real deal....
</div></div>

LAPUA, huh? I've been ripped off. Are the Chinese knocking off brass too?
wink.gif

Hey, now. Don't go knockin' the Lapus brass. It's a steal. It works almost as good as my MacMillhan stock, but better than the USS Optiks scope that I picked up for only $29.95 off of an infomercial. At least the scope came with a nice set of steak knives...
crazy.gif

zold