• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Build Recommendations?

BobinNC

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2009
Goldsboro, NC
I am in the process of obtaining a donor rifle/action for medium game hunting first, and LR Target shooting as a secondary activity. I'm interested in building, rather than just buying off the rack.

My requirements are:

Man portable: 10 lbs or less complete
Caliber: .284
Performance range: 160-162 grain bullets @ 2900-3000 FPS

My proposed donor rifle is a Remington 700 SS in 7mm Rem SAUM. So it's a short action with magnum bolt face. That fits my critieria, and I believe I will stay with the 7mm Rem SAUM, rather than the 7mm WSM.

I plan on ditching/trashing/selling the current barrel and stock, and keeping only the action.

Donor rifle:...................................... $400.
Less selling off the barrel and stock.............- $50.
Barrel: Hart #5.5 contour, 22", 1-9" twist,7mm Rem
SAUM installed, threaded, action squared...........$650.
Fluting by Hart 6 Flutes for weight reduction......$120.
McMillan HTG Stock, Forest Camo, complete install..$780.

Already On-Hand in the junk box:

Farrell 20 MOA bases Rem SA
Leupold QRW 30mm rings

Without scope I'm at $1900.

I've bought nothing yet, and I am still open to suggestions.

Can I do better? If so where? Can I go cheaper?

Any Thoughts or changes I could make?

Thanks,

Bob

Re: Build Recommendations?

An interesting plan. I have a 300 SAUM gas gun and it really drives tacks. That said, I would be concerned about the 7 SAUM becoming an orphan. Have you thought about a early 700 or an early Ruger 77 in 7mm Remmag? They would both already have medium heavy 24 or 26" barrels and be twisted for the 150-160 gr bullet which was "the load" back then. You can always load the big 7 down to even 7mm08 levels and still get sub MOA accuracy.
Although not generally used for it, the 7mm remmag is a far superior long range round to the 308 and with the right bullets, could probably shade the 300 winmag.
Good shooting!

Get one of Stillers "Tac" actions and go first class. I have two builds on Remington 700 actions that Greg Tannel has worked his magic on but.............. I just got a Stiller.

+1 on the Stiller and bump to the WSM, I think what ever action you get will have to be opened up to handle the large base.

You will get a different answer from everyone as we all have opinions. I like your plan, I like the McMillan stock, don't know what the wait time is so Manners can be your second choice. Go to 6mmbr.com, look at the "guns of the week" week #64 is just what you're looking for. The same guy built my 7mmWSM below. It shoots way better than me!! Good luck, keep us posted.

Oh Yeah, spend another $1600 on your optics, don't go cheap.

DSCN0041.jpg

DSCN0036.jpg

DSCN0050.jpg

DSCN0033.jpg

Here is my custom hunting rig by Patriot Arms (now American Precision Arms):

riflepics002-1.jpg

Rem 700 action trued and squared = 30.06 caliber

Mike Rock Barrel= 24" long, #3 contour, 1-11.25" twist

Spiral fluted bolt

Patriot Arms oversized recoil lug and bolt knob

McMillan Sako Hunter stock = standard fill, woodland camo, pillar/skim bedded

Old style Rem 700 trigger tuned to 2.5#

Rem 700 Bottom metal

Badger flat base and 30 mm rings

All metal Cera-Koted matte black

Weighs in just over 8# scoped up & balances perfectly.

Cost me about $2500 (I used my "donor" 700 action)