• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Builders: Insulation Advice needed

neeltburn

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2013
South Western Indiana
8AB1EF03-BB7E-4F8A-9662-982F7049B27C.jpeg
Working on my Gun/ Reloading Man Cave. The barn has a thin insulation with vapor barrier. I plan to frame walls in and would like to add a layer of insulation likely rock wool or mineral wool. My concern is how can I ensure I am not creating a space for moisture to form by doubling the insulation? Pic of room below showing current insulation. I call it barn insulation, not sure what the correct term is. Thanks for the advice!

Slice holes in the current vapor barrier to allow moisture transfer through the current insulation and add a new vapor barrier on the inside of the new wall framing. No expert here so do your homework.
That’s what I was thinking too….. I was wondering about making a 12”x 12” board with nails poking out spaced 1 inch square and just poking the surface?

You might consider 2 inches of spray foam insulation. No worries then and I consider this method the most efficient in this situation.

Reactions: WaltHer
That’s what I was thinking too….. I was wondering about making a 12”x 12” board with nails poking out spaced 1 inch square and just poking the surface?
That sounds like it would work and would give you more even moisture vents through the barrier.

We could all use the education.
I'm happy to help anyone but I don't do so publicly because it will definitely disagree with others who's uncle or whatever built houses one time and blah blah blah.... the region of the country is the first major factor. Very different for different regions

I'm happy to help anyone but I don't do so publicly because it will definitely disagree with others who's uncle or whatever built houses one time and blah blah blah.... the region of the country is the first major factor. Very different for different regions

I wish I would have followed that rule early on.

First, I would have turned those 2x4s the correct way so at least they would be flush with the (what are they?) 6x6s ?
That is how it appears and without measurements means little.
Then you would have room to run a R16 or better after slitting the plastic liner to allow breathing.
But, that's just me and I haven't built all that many homes.....maybe 75-100 ?

I assume there is only tin outside the existing insulation....no sheathing....right ?

First, I would have turned those 2x4s the correct way so at least they would be flush with the (what are they?) 6x6s ?
That is how it appears and without measurements means little.
Then you would have room to run a R16 or better after slitting the plastic liner to allow breathing.
But, that's just me and I haven't built all that many homes.....maybe 75-100 ?

I assume there is only tin outside the existing insulation....no sheathing....right ?
1. Previous owner installed those 2x4s. I am framing standard 2x4 walls even with the 6x6 posts.
2. From outside in. Barn Metal. Then insulation.

If thats metal siding, the plastic backed insulation is your vapor barrier. It keeps the metal from condensing water on the inside during temp changes. (Try telling this to customers when their barn roof is raining on them in November and March 🤦‍♂️). Storage units use the same stuff (tenants always wonder why their unit leaks, after they stab holes in the plastic, moving their junk).

If you're going to frame again inside, I see no reason you couldn't use Roxul/Rockwool. Say you frame inside with 2x4; if the space created behind the wall is small, use 2x6 (r23) rockwool, then it would probably snug up to the existing insulation. Larger pocket behind new wall? 2x8 (r32) rockwool.

I probably wouldn't bother if the existing already does it's job. Frame new walls, and use 2x4 (r15) Rockwool. The heat inside would be blocked by the roxul, and the temp of the siding blocked by the fiberglass/vapor barrier sheet. Yes, filling the gap (not too tightly) would be best. If this is a lifetime type of structure, use the most/best you can afford.