• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Building 1st bolt gun

fifdynutz

Pasture Poodle
Minuteman
May 5, 2020
Iowa
Hey guys, I'm looking to start my first ground up bolt gun build. I've built several ARs but never a bolt gun from the action.

I want to keep my budget under 3k for the rifle and my goal for the rifle is to be a lightweight, compact, but very precise setup for day/night predator hunting. Needs to be mobile in and out of the truck with a suppressor and based on caliber may be used at some point on bigger game. Day setup would be something like a 2.5-20 nx8, night setup would be an iray rico 640 unit.

I'm trying to decide between 22 creed and 6mm creed currently. 22 flatter for night hunting and 6mm would be usable on bigger game if needed. I typically give my dogs away for the fur so I don't really care about fur quality. But recoil and component availability are very important. I do reload and have the components to load either.

I've decided I want to do something with a prefit similar to the proof carbon units, and I want to utilize an ag composites carbon stock. Trigger will likely be a triggertech diamond or higher end timney

My main question is, should I go buy a complete tikka t3x or something similar, or should I buy a defiance or zermatt bare action to start? And with either option, any particular models i should hone in on? Anything in stock that you guys know of?

Thanks in advance

Also need guidance on bottom metal choices that will jive with the AG stock

If your budget is $3k for rifle alone, I'd build and go for a Bighorn Origin.

Bighorn Origin - $875
Proof Prefit - $830
TT Diamond - $300
AG Composite stock - $700
Bottom metal of choice - $2-300
Bedding - $200

That puts you just over your $3k budget, but you can save a few bucks over those prices I'm sure by looking around and shopping PX.

Bottom metal, do you want detachable box mags or bdl mag?

For caliber, proof doesn't make a 22 creed prefit, but does make a 6 creed. So that alone may make the decision for you.

good points there, detachable mag would be nice but not a requirement. if i went 22 creed i would likely be looking at a carbonsix barrel. proof's chamberings and length options have me considering elsewhere. a short 22 creed would be $$$ for what im doing with the night hunting.

any places come to mind that have the bighorn origin in stock?

I prefer detachable mags personally. AG has inlet's for Badger M5 and Hawkins M5, just pick which one and get the action inlet for it, both use the same magazine, AICS.

You will just have to look around for the action. Put a WTB up in the PX, there are a lot of dealers on here that may have one in stock and will contact you.

Reactions: fifdynutz
good points there, detachable mag would be nice but not a requirement. if i went 22 creed i would likely be looking at a carbonsix barrel. proof's chamberings and length options have me considering elsewhere. a short 22 creed would be $$$ for what im doing with the night hunting.

any places come to mind that have the bighorn origin in stock?

Send a PM to @Front Range Precision and he can probably hook you up with an action. He usually has a TL3 or origin. He also has pre-fits for them. I've dealt with him many times.

If you wait a week or two I'd bet you can get one here on the PX also.