• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Building 300wm Which Avenue to Go?

JBM_DC

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2011
OKC, OK
www.facebook.com
So I am looking to build a 300 win mag and a bit undecided which way to go with it. The biggest hurdle is action choice. Remington action and save some coin, Surgeon 1086 action, or Sako TRG 42 action. Going with the Remington action would be the most economical. The Surgeon and TRG both will start adding up on weight with the TRG most likely weighing the most. I would like to keep the rifle with scope somewhere in the ball park of 14lbs. This rifle will double as a field hunting stick as well as target use out to 2000 yards on the far end and would live most its life shooting prone between 1200-1800 yards.

Options:
1. Chamber up a new barrel for the Sako and call it good.
2. Sell the Sako and build up a Surgeon 1086.
3. Sell the Sako, save some cash and buy a Remington 700 LR / Sendero / Police
4. Sell the Sako and build off a Remington 700 LA.
5. Other Options?

Something else I would like to ask is what barrel length do most run with this cartridge and a suppressor? I want the extended range, but not at the cost of having a rifle that I cannot walk with on my back. For example, my match rifle has a 26" barrel and a 9" suppressor. I am 5'7" and this thing damn near drags the ground. This rifle will not be used in thick brush, but will see a hunting blind and need to be able to walk with it on my back. I have shorter suppressors for this rifle as well if that helps. My goal is to have 215gr bullets pushed upwards of 2950 +/- 25fps.

Asking for a lot and I am sure I will have to compromise somewhere, but weight is not a place I will compromise. Ideally this rifle will weigh somewhere around 12-14lbs fully setup.

I am running 215's at just under 2900 in a 26" DTA. To get close to the speeds you are looking for and optimum for the round is going to start at 26" I would say. That is the main reason I sold all my bolts and went DTA....being able to shoot suppressed without carrying a flag pole in rounds I need longer barrel length.

You want extended range in a short rifle that can push a 215gr pill to 2950fps. Sounds like a Desert Tech SRS A1 to me. 26" barrel with a 9" suppressor would put it roughly at 45" OAL and depending on optic will be around 14 to 15lbs.

Check out Matt Stewart in Smithville, OK, at stewartrifles.com. Great American. Got a few reviews on here.

Good luck with your build

I went with a stiller tac 300. In my opinion better than a r700 and the same cost after blue printing the 700. I did a Bdl bottom metal and a Krieger number 7 I believe finished at 28"
i built it for long range hunting and some range shooting. I'm running 208 amax at 3000 fps. Love it and it is the perfect balence between target and hunting rifle.

Attachments

• photo50173.jpg
    photo50173.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Same here. Stiller Tac300. 26 inch Bartlein m24 barrel and ax chassis. Weighs about 17 though with optic and atlas bipod.

Super happy with the build though. Done by LRI and they did a fucking outstanding job.

Sierracharlie338....

I went with a 28" Bartlein on a Rem 700 action. It's all of 15lbs, but with a case full of H1000 I'm getting 2968 with Berger 215's

I have RW Snyder building me a 26" on my old Rem 721 action in 270. Basically it's a R700 action from 1954 with a straight bolt handle and round knob but that will end up as a Badger knob. I had a lug left from the 'smith at NSWC Crane who helped develop the original NSW 300WM rifles (pre-MK13) I sent him also.

If I were doing it with a new action, I would also probably use a Stiller. If money weren't an issue, it would be a Proof 26" or 28" in a Sendero profile. Funny thing is, that same NSWC guy who developed those lugs now works at Proof ... ;)