• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Building 7 SAUM Looking for Input

billyjo

Private
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2009
WA
I've decided to build a 7 SAUM and here is what I'm considering going with:

Long action​
MPA Matrix Chassis​
Diamond Pro Tech Trigger​
28" Bartlein barrel​
Gen 3 Little Bastard​
I'm going to use this for target shooting so I want it to be a fairly heavy rifle. The reason for a LA over a medium is chassis selection and in the future if I decide I want a LA caliber I'll have that option but I'm open to opinions. I already have a 28 Nosler for hunting purposes so I'm covered there.

I'm going to send the smith a dummy cartridge for length so I'm trying to decide what is the preferred bullet, is the 190 LRHT better than the 184? What length should I have the bullets seated at since I won't be limited? Also what is the recommended freebore on a 7 SAUM with either of those bullets?

Anything else I should consider or change?

Thanks

I should've mentioned I already have all the reloading dies and annealing pilots for 7 SAUM.

Reactions: gnochi
The common long throat 7 saum chamber .200 freebore) would put a 190LRHT on the lands at approximately 3.18 ish
I haven’t tried the 184 but the 190 was more consistent than the 180eldm and 190 ATip for me and are doing really well in my new barrel as well.

I know of a few that are using the 190 A-tips and liking them.
The 184 Bergers seem to shoot better than the 190's