• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Building a 22LR upper

SBRSarge

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 9, 2019
I have a spare BCM upper and 12” Coda Evolution hand guard. I think they need to be built into a 22lr SBR.

I’m new to 22lr AR builds and looking for recommendations on barrel, bolt, etc. Barrel should be in the 6 to 10 inch range to stay subsonic. I’ll be using it on my existing AR SBR’d lowers and it’ll have a suppressor on it, hence the short-ish barrel length to make it manageable for squirrel $ rabbit hunting, sparrow plinking, etc.

My centerfire builds give me sub moa. I’m looking for reasonably similar results in the 22lr but know the AR platform in 22lr might not get there easliy. 1” groups at 50 yards would be ok. Good enough to snipe the english sparrows invading my bluebird houses anyway.

Thanks for recommendations.

Reactions: obx22
While I haven’t yet rebarreled mine (too many projects), I will offer a bit of advice. Your projected barrel length will still send lots of bulk pack ammo above the sound barrier. A 3-3.5” barrel should about guarantee subsonic velocity with most hi-speed ammo, and could be sleeved to give the appearance/balance you want.

Don’t waste your money or effort, my M&P 15-22 simply works, the S&W mags superior to the CMMG/Blackdog ones, don’t let the plastic upper/lower fool you, they are all that is needed, aftermarket support is pretty good.
51829359-892B-4852-ABED-0DA820FD6A6E.jpeg

22AR.jpg

Here is one that I built but it has a dedicated upper with a 10" Clint Beyer barrel. Could have almost bought 5 15-22's for what I have in this.

I think I’m leaning toward a Keystone barrel about 10” or so, then add the CMMG bolt, etc and let the fun begin. I have a great stock of subsonic ammo so keeping it quiet shouldn’t be a problem.

But first, I have to work on the S.A.P. (Spousal Approval Process)

I’m leaning toward a 10” Keystone barrel. With a can on the end it’ll be about the same length as my work rifle for training/practice purposes. And I should get reasonable precision out of the 10”.

But, with a 10” barrel most ammo will be supersonic. Anyone have any experience with, and know if the CMMG conversion kit with Keystone barrel and suppressor will work well with subsonic ammo? I have a shit ton of sub ammo that I use through my 22lr bolt gun.

If it’ll be a problem, I could always go for a much shorter barrel. But I’d like to end up in the 16” overall length.

And, thank you to all who have offered advice.

I’m leaning toward a 10” Keystone barrel. With a can on the end it’ll be about the same length as my work rifle for training/practice purposes. And I should get reasonable precision out of the 10”.

But, with a 10” barrel most ammo will be supersonic. Anyone have any experience with, and know if the CMMG conversion kit with Keystone barrel and suppressor will work well with subsonic ammo? I have a shit ton of sub ammo that I use through my 22lr bolt gun.

If it’ll be a problem, I could always go for a much shorter barrel. But I’d like to end up in the 16” overall length.

And, thank you to all who have offered advice.

Why would subsonic ammo concern you in a 10" barrel with can vs say a 20" RimX/Vudoo with can that's still subsonic..

I've got zero issues with subsonic match ammo being subsonic in my Keystone 12" and 18" AR22's with Oculus 22....

I might not have phrased the question well. I was wondering if the subsonic ammo would cycle the rifle well and not whether it would stay subsonic. I imagine it will cycle, but having never shot a 22lr AR I’m not sure.

My bolt gun really likes the CCI standard velocity and subsonic loads so I have a decent stock of them for when I want to be quiet. For regular high volume shooting I can press into service the bulk pack loads I have. They might go supersonic, but that wouldn’t be a concern for that use.

Thanks again for the input.

I might not have phrased the question well. I was wondering if the subsonic ammo would cycle the rifle well and not whether it would stay subsonic. I imagine it will cycle, but having never shot a 22lr AR I’m not sure.

My bolt gun really likes the CCI standard velocity and subsonic loads so I have a decent stock of them for when I want to be quiet. For regular high volume shooting I can press into service the bulk pack loads I have. They might go supersonic, but that wouldn’t be a concern for that use.

Thanks again for the input.

AR22 get dirty...you definitely need to clean them to keep them running reliability at that 200rd mark and above with subsonic ammo....some subsonic ammo definitely cycles an AR22 better than others. Tenex and Wolf Match Extra are definitely stupid accurate and cycle the best along with CCI SV.. CenterX is right there as well...your SK stuff is so so....

Now, if you look at my GM AR22 review ammo test target I linked you too earlier....the CCI AR Target or whatever it's called is right there accuracy wise with the match ammo I just mentioned and cycles the best as the gun gets dirtier, but isn't subsonic...

So you need to find what works best for your gun and what you're trying to do with it....

Thanks padom. I think I should be in good shape. I’ll post up my results when I get the thing built.

As a bonus, I have several hundred rounds of the CenterX you mentioned as well.

Thanks again,
SBR

i'm over 4k 22lr out of the nordic22 upper for the year.

well over the 15k mark since i bought it summer of 2020. not a ridiculous number by any means but it's my way of keeping round count up without wearing out my go to gassers.

cleaning is totally ammo dependent.
about 300 with win wildcat i'll start getting stuck empties.

easily more then 1k with cci standard. i bore mop the chamber with hoppes 9 and lube with Kroil and she runs well at 90degrees and 10 below.

slow lock time and dwell time in barrel means field shooting expectations should be lowered as compared to bolt guns.

i'd expect a 1" 10 shot group bipod and rear bagged with most bulk type ammo at 50

center X was more like 5/8 but you gotta be focused.

Thanks to all who gave advice.

All in all, I am pretty happy. Here’s what I ended up with.

15ECEF5C-0BD8-4642-88F9-9638CF2BFEBD.jpeg

10” Keystone Barrel, thermal fitted to a BCM upper
CMMG Bolt/Magazine combo
12” Coda Evolution handguard
Gemtech GM22 can
NightForce 2.5-20x overkill scope

And it shows promise grouping.

633CBD6F-4428-4291-A3E3-4FE99D0DA029.jpeg

Thanks again to those who offered help.

Reactions: padom