• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Building a .338 Lapua Inspiration Pls.

pc3

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 26, 2008
Australia
Hi Folks,

I am building a .338 lapua the only certain is that it will be built on a Surgeon XL action. Leaning towards a T2A Manners Stcok as well

I had thought I liked the Manners T2A stock I am looking for any ideas or tips and pics you guys whom have custom .338 lapuas can provide me.

cheers Paul.

Re: Building a .338 Lapua Inspiration Pls.

Go for a Patriot Arms brake.Try something different and use a stock from http://www.richardscustomrifles.com/.A classy blend of laminated hard woods.All these Manners and Mcbros stocks are getting so boring!!!.Of course it's always fun trying to spend other peoples money for them.haha

Steve

My .338 Lapua, Mark V ss action, MC A-5, Lilja #8 contour

DSC00366Large.jpg

Manners stock
Surgeon action
Jewell trigger
Rock Creek or Broughton barrel 30"
Patriot Fat Boy brake

surgeon xl action
bartlein mtu contour 5r @ 28" 1 in 9.75 twist
badger fte brake
mac a5 with terry cross cheek
cerro-coat
badger de-tatch mag
jewell trigger
badger 34mm rings
5x25 s&b pmII mrad p4 fine
GAP build

should have mine in about 2 weeks. ill post some pics when i get it!

Great Rifles all of them thanks folks!!

any reason why you wouldnt go a Manners T2A I already have a T4A Manners on my .375/408 IMP I like it but I thought the T2A might lend itself to a more protable rifle like a cross over between a long range rig and the wetaherby Accumark 338/378 I am selling to be replaced by this surgeon build.

Have decided on Manners T4A stock with 90% CF outer shell option, Aussie made maddco 1 in 10" barrel.

looking at a flat earth or olive colour scheme at this stage

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pc3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi Folks,

I am building a .338 lapua the only certain is that it will be built on a Surgeon XL action. Leaning towards a T2A Manners Stcok as well

I had thought I liked the Manners T2A stock I am looking for any ideas or tips and pics you guys whom have custom .338 lapuas can provide me.

cheers Paul. </div></div>

I'm in the same boat. Hope this thread takes off.

Do you know if the Surgeon XL will mate with the new AI longer mags?

Mine is a Lawton 8500 single shoot, Border barrel, Mc Hale stock & NXS scope.

I love this stock !

002-2.jpg

GAP build

Surgeon XL action
Bartlein MTU bbl. 28" 1-9.75"
Mcmillan A-5/ Terry cross comb GAP camo
Badger FTE brake
Jewell trigger
Badger DBM bottom metal
OD cerro coat
Badger 34MM rings
Schmidt&Bender 5-25 PMII MLRD.

Not a Lapua, but .338 Edge in Manners T2A. Barrel is 1.3-0.9 @ 30", about to be turned down and fluted because it's just too heavy for my liking at 19.5#
3200293484_6b0f6d87bf.jpg

I purchased Turtlesnipers ole 338, and it is a superb rifle.
Manners T4-A stock
GAP Templar Action
Bartlein 9.5 twist barrel
Badger FTE brake
Seeking bottom metal and magazine.

The advantage with this rifle is the fact that the Seekins magazine allows for a 3.95" loaded COAL. The rifle is throated to accept the 300 SMK or Scenar loaded at 3.750. It restores the case volume lost when using these bullets at SAAMI or CIP length. It also allow the use of some of the long solids in the magazine.

They all look great;

My build is now as follows;

Surgeon XL and Bottom Metal
Lilja 1 in 10 barrel will finsih somewhere between 28" & 30"
Defensive edge break
Manners T4A 90% CF upgrade
Olive Drab stock and darkearth metal might make stock dark earth too yet.

Wanted SB or US Optics but am going to put a NXS 5-22 MLR/MIL turrets just running out of $$

All my components are at GAP awaiting build. Surgeon XL Repeater, Manners T2, Bartlein fluted #7 28 inch barrel, Rem 40x trigger, badger FTE brake. I think it is going to be a great mid range rifle. My 50 cal is just too big for everyday plinking, plus it is not allowed on most ranges here in Houston. Word of warning, 338 LM ammo is not cheap or real easy to come by. If you can find it under $4.00 a round, snap it up fast. Pretty much a handloaders round. 408 Cheytac smokes the 338 LM mag but finding ammo makes it strictly a handloaders proposition. Have fun and post pics. PS I have shot a shortlived lightweight unbraked 340 weatherby, very close ballistically to the 338 LM and the recoil stil brings fond memories...scope bites galore, watering eyes, sore shoulders, neck aches and flinching. So get a heavy 338 LM with a good muzzle brake and a super recoil pad.

Build list for my 338 Lapua Improved 40 degree shoulder.

BAT M Action
Lilja 30in Fluted 1-10
Jewel trigger
MCM A5
NF NXS 5.5-22x50

Hoping for close to if not 3000fps with 300's only time will tell.

I think I will go 30" barrel as well as I need a long bag past 28" + break anyway so may as well have 30" I think

DSC01359.jpg

Surgeon XL
Rock 28" 9.4 twist with PAI break, finishes at 30.5" with break
Manners T2A
Jewel set at 1.5 pounds
All work done by PAI, now APA
USO 5-25X58

Great rifles, gents!

Good stuff and thanks. Funny how some share good info requested while others reply "use the search function". Do I have to show my whole vault to get respect and responses like this?

Eh, I just think it gets a bit frustrating answering the same questions over and over again, week in, week out. A search takes very little effort but a response to a common question can be more involved.

Often, "search" sucks. I appreciate and respect your position but search is way too broad many times. I appreciate those who have it just sharing it...that's why I ask.

I belive that pics tell the story
Desert Fox has one SWEET rifle .
Are there any specs on that one as I amm also opting to build
Bill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Stoffels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tuscondave
Nice grab how does she shoot?? </div></div>

Its stuck in transit till next week.He says I'll be putting my TRG42 up for sale as soon as I try it out. We'll see............

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Samson,

Can you show us a pic of a 338L imp cartridge compared to a regular 338L?

Steve </div></div>

Desert Fox posted this pic in another thread.

338Imp.jpg

With a safe full of tactical rifles I thought I'd go in a different direction with my 338 LM Imp. and this is what I came up with. I would highly recommend the imp. version of the 338.

IMG_0630.jpg

Stiller TAC 338 action
Fluted Rock Creek 9.37" twist 5R 1.360",.960" @ 31"
Seekins DBM, 30 moa base and rings
5-25x56 w/ Gen II XR
A5L stock by Joel Russo
Gunsmithing by Harold Fredd

My current build is in the parts accumulation phase. Just waiting on the barrel and stock.

Surgeon XL
AICS 2.0 Folder made by AI for the Surgeon XL.
28" Bartlien barrel 1/9.5 twist 5R in a contour similar to a heavy palma but starting at 1.350"
AAC Titan can

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerry R</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Samson,

Can you show us a pic of a 338L imp cartridge compared to a regular 338L?

Steve </div></div>

Desert Fox posted this pic in another thread.

338Imp.jpg

With a safe full of "tactical" rifles I thought I'd go in a different direction with my 338 LM Imp. and this is what I came up with. I would highly recommend the imp. version of the 338.

IMG_0630.jpg

Stiller TAC 338 action
Fluted Rock Creek 9.37" twist 5R 1.360",.960" @ 31"
Seekins DBM, 30 moa rail and rings
5-25x56 w/ Gen II XR
A5L stock by Joel Russo
Gunsmithing by Harold Fredd
</div></div>

NICE RIFLE!!! How much faster is the .338 lapua improved?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nolo263

[/quote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

NICE RIFLE!!! How much faster is the .338 lapua improved? </div></div>

With a little voodoo and a long tube you can expect around 3,050 fps safely with a 300 SMK.

Improved appears to be a little better at performance but what is the effect to the barrel life??
Bill

Not sure what the Improved version does to barrel life but I can't wait to find out!!!!
smile.gif
Won't have mine till this fall.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Stoffels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Improved appears to be a little better at performance but what is the effect to the barrel life??
Bill </div></div>
I try not to let that affect my choice in rifles. Barrels can and will be replaced.

If they were meant to last forever they would be welded and not threaded.
wink.gif

A bit off subject, what scope base is that? Doesn't look like the aluminum stiller base.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Stoffels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Improved appears to be a little better at performance but what is the effect to the barrel life??
Bill </div></div>

The barrel life of a improved case is better unless you load super hot overpressured loads. The sharp shoulder keeps some extra gas in the case preserving the life of your barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Stoffels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tuscondave
Nice grab how does she shoot?? </div></div>

Got out to shoot it today. Very very nice trigger. That Monster barrel and brake really reduce the recoil compared to the TRG 42 with the sako Brake. Nice smooth action and very accurate right froom the get go. Topped it with A NF NXS 5.5 22x50. Thinking the TRG may have to go. Anyone interested in a TRG42 1/10 60 round count?? With or w/o a NF Benchrest 12-42x56?? Bipod and adapter,sako brake?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerry R</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Stoffels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Improved appears to be a little better at performance but what is the effect to the barrel life??
Bill </div></div>
I try not to let that affect my choice in rifles. Barrels can and will be replaced.

If they were meant to last forever they would be welded and not threaded.
wink.gif

</div></div>

I couldn't agree more. How does that 40* shoulder feed out of those mags?

No feeding issues at all from the Seekins mags.

I know this thread isn't all that new but i thought I'd share my gun and thoughts. I don't like seating the 300's so deep for mag feeding. At this point I would be happier with a single shot and a really long throat. I don't crank lots of rounds through mine and the single shot wouldn't slow me down any.

At least wait for the longer magazines that AI is going to release.

Surgeon XL repeater
27" Krieger MTU, 10 flutes
Patriot FB brake
MCM A5 with Terry Cross cheek mod.
Jewel trigger
S&B 5-25 P4F
Seekins rings

338Lapua006JPG.jpg

Bill,

I have the Badger M5 bottom metal and AICS mags on one of my 338LMs, and I have not had any problems feeding any ammo as long as it was loaded to mag length. The system works very well with all factory loaded ammo, and any of my loads loaded to fit the mag. As SuperSubes mentioned, I have found much better velocity and external ballistics when loading the 300 Scenars out longer. The Seekins Mag on my other rifle will accept a COAL just about 3.900. I am currently loading to 3.740 in this rifle, as it was throated to 3.750. Ideally I would like to load even farther out, but I will have to have it re-throated to load any longer. The only rifle with an even longer mag is the DTA SRS rifle. I was tempted to make an offer on the one that was up for sale, but I would have modified it with a new barrel, longer throat, and 28.5" in length. Maybe down the road............

Even the new AICS mags won't be as long as I want.

Scott

Take a look at this setup for a 338 Ack Imp.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/snake-2-338-lapua-ack-imp-41682/

IMO go with single shot. No need for mag on the 338 AI, unless you are shooting tactical comps. Saves $300-500 also. Even then, you can load just as fast singly as from a mag.

I can tell you the new Holland Radial brake beats anything I have ever seen. The gun just sits there.

BH