• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

building a budget long range 700

USMC-SS0317

0317 SGT.
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2010
Arizona
well i currently have a rem 700 sps dm in 300 win mag i love this rifle and it performs well out to 400yards limit of my range i have taken a whitetail buck with this set up at 300 yards but i want to build a long range tack driver im on a budget of 1000 dollars and i know i want the bell and carlson tactical stock but i need advice on what barrel to get what twist rate and contour and how to get it installed also need to cut down recoil would like to keep wait under 20 lbs here is what i am working with now
300.jpg

Re: building a budget long range 700

Why build something when you have the rigth tool for long range already. Your 300 WM should easily be stretched out to 1K and beyond. Are you handloading or using stock ammo. That can make a difference.

Isn't your stock Remy has a 1:10"twist barrel? It should be able to handle heavy bullet easily. I am shooting the 208 AMAX bullets.

Would recommend getting a decent stock that you like. Spend the rest of the money on reloading equipments if you are not already reloading. JMO.

im sure i can hit at longer ranges but i want to cut down on recoil so i can spot my own shots its a handful right now with the sporter barrel and an overall weight of 10 lbs i would like to get this thing built before i ship to basic

LOL I have a 300 with a VIAS and sniper fill McM A-5, your not gonna spot your own shots with a 300 unless it weighs a ton. I have a 7mm mag that weighs in at 18# and its very mild maybe with a break maybe you could spot with something similar.

I vote for a badger fte brake since you live in a suppresor compliant state, it is a great brake and will allow you to take it off if you ever want to hunt without it or put on a suppressor. if you are on a budget run with the fully adj. stock with the kwick klip system works fairly well and is only around $100. Also if you think you need a new barrel give Benchmark a call and they will hook you up their info is in my signature line. also as Red_SC said the fat bastard will also work well I had one on my 338 edge and it worked great. good luck and be careful this shit is as addictive as crack.

scott

B.O. FTE brake just like other mentioned above. Depending on the contour of your existing barrel, you may or may not be able to do that. Mine has one and the recoil is no more than a stout 308.

If the barrel ain't broke, don't fix it until it goes bad.

Reloading equipment would be a good purchase with that $1000. A good stock will set you back $200+, a muzzle brake installed $150+, and bedding-if you don't do it yourself- $100 or so. That stuff will eat up most of your 1K.

There's lots of "how to's" on DIY bedding, and it's' really, very easy to do. The brake and a sendero take off stock can be had for around $100 and $200. You have about 600 bucks left to work with and still have a little buffer. You can easily get setup with a good single stage press and start reloading ammo for it. You might also look into getting some lower rings on that rifle, it will help your cheek weld a good bit.

I think you can do this for under 750 bucks if you shop around for supplies on the 'hide and are willing to get some used parts here and there.

you need to pm NOMAD for an excellent price on once fired brass. He's gtg