• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

building a budget rig...

jayd4wg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 12, 2009
Steel City
I know where this will start, so I want to squash a couple thoughts right away. Yes, i'm new to this board but not to the world of shooting. I'm new to centerfire, but have shot rimfire for a LONG time (20+ years). I've never owned a centerfire rifle until 2 weeks ago, and I am on a major budget.

I have already acquired a major part of my rig - the rifle itself, and am looking for some insight on using this rifle. I expect to hear, but did not come here for "it's a POS", or "you should have saved your money for a real gun", etc. I have what I have and want to get all I can out of it.

Now to the meat of my "first" post...

I have a new Marlin XS7 in .308 topped with a Bushnell Banner 6-18x50 (currently...this WILL change)sitting atop Leupold rifleman Tall rings and for the most part i punch paper, deer, and will eventually get the crosshairs to settle on a coyote, ground hogs and other BPUT's.

I have put a total of 70 rounds thru my rifle so far and it is promising good things. I have ZERO reloading gear yet, and though it is thought to be highly inconsistent, I'll be starting some loading with a Lee Loader unless I can book some time with a buddy of mine who has all but the dies for 308 at his house. I will refrain from posting any group pictures as they do not yet meet the criteria for posting here (who'd have thought a "hunter" would need to put more than 3 on paper at any time?) and will begin shortly using the 12-15 dots per page targets to show what my particular rifle is currently capable of with a nutt that can't breathe properly, can't settle the rifle properly and excercises horrible shooting form from the bench. Frankly, i'm amazed that it has done as well as it has...this rifle can easily outperform ME any day of the week.

What I'm looking for is some help with a starting load for this rifle. Does anyone here have one they have worked out yet? As said before, i'm looking to achieve good overall hunting performance out of this gun, and I love spending time at the range smelling gunpowder with the little foamies keeping all my thoughts in my head...just listening to my heartbeat and breathing for a few hours. It's my stress release...and I don't want my release becoming a source of angst when things are not going right.

What powder (varget, 4064, TAC?), if you could only start with one, would you start with?
I plan on using 150gr bullets as so far with factory ammo they seem to shoot best. Remington CoreLokt 180's are 6" group at 100...no thanks. I have put Winchester 150's into a half inch and they are CHEAP at wally world. I'm hoping that with reloads, I might be able to shrink this down a tad bit. (this is only a three shot group..so don't click if you don't wanna see... http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2633/3796798472_dfc51578b8.jpg )
Again though, i'm looking for people who are currently working with this rifle and have been able to get great results from it.

Oh...and thanks for this board, all the knowledge here, and the abrasive sarcastic responses that keep this place fun to read
smile.gif

3797311786_4698844103.jpg

Re: building a budget rig...

this would be better suited in the reloading section if you are asking about a load.
I have 2 pieces of advice for you
1. Sign up for the online training
2. Read everything you can
3 Fill out your profile, there are probably some members near you that would be willing to help you out with the whole reloading deal.

Re: building a budge rig...

Welcome to the Hide.

Scroll down to the Reloading Forum and the "Reloading Depot" sub-forum. You will find a buttload of load data for the .308.

From personal experience I would encourage you to find a good single-stage press instead of trying the Lee Loader as your first effort. Lee Loaders work well and so forth, but at some point, you will get a Kaboom. The Lee Hand Press is relatively inexpensive and has the added benefit of giving you a decent upper body workout when loading. Seriously, I have done a lot of loading with one and they are handy - not very speedy, but easy to use.

Keep sending rounds down range. Equipment changes and upgrades will come as you increase your learning curve, but the most important thing is to shoot and shoot to create consistency (as with your rimfires).

thanks guys...i'lll let this thread run it's course before cross posting. I've been reading this forum for about 3 weeks now (one of the pivotal reasons I went with 308 despite regretting that decision slightly after seeing just how little factory ammo is out there in 308 hunting loads right now vs. 30.06 and 270).

The profile is updated, and the concerns about a press are truly warranted. I just happened across a lee press http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?con...r%20Press%20Kit
sufficient to get started? I like the idea of hand priming vs. using a hammer
wink.gif
Not sure about the scale and it's consistency but i know the lee dippers are usually +/- .2 grains in the .308 case...that's fairly consistent and probably good enough for me :shrug:

I have a Lee Hand Press kit, it was about 35 bucks (cost of 1 box of FGMM 308 ammo) and that came with a funnel, lube, and priming tools.

For 100 bucks you can setup with the Lee Hand Press and go so far as to load AT the range. Their powder thrower is great actually, it's incredibly consistent with everything but the big sticks like RL-22, even then, it's not too bad.

I would suggest you spend a little more to get something that's not particularly useful except in tight spaces, but you can still make good ammo with that.

Scissor press, balance, charge thrower and 308 dies from Lee will run you 100 bucks. Powder, primers and bullets are only uphill from there.

Welcome to the forum, that rifle will outshoot you for now, shoot it a lot and don't get carried away with upgrades til you can actually see that you're outshooting it, not vice versa.

I was just thinking...on the list of upgrades...

I need to get/make a set of bags. Probably donate some of my "fat" jeans and some playground sand in plastic bags for the sand bags. Also need to mix up some epoxy and pea gravel to fill the stock. Want to move the balace a little back, and cut down on muzzle hop. When I pre-load the bipod, recoil puts me 2 target stands left (about 8 feet) with my "normal" hold - Front on bipod, right hand on palm swell with first pad index finger trigger pull, elbow on table firmly, and left fist under butt of rifle to adjust elevation. I can't get a good cheek weld because of the tall rings (the main reason i want to change scopes...looking at a 2-10 or 3-10 x40mm mildot on the shortest rings i can get and it MUST be a side focus). I did just get an allen shell holder though to play with adjusting the comb...but I think i need almost a half inch of foam to raise it up enough.

I've seen elastic shell loops with a small bag that looks big enough for an OTIS kit on some rifles...who makes these? they look like they have some padding in them too for a raised comb?

With this hold, my biggest adversary is my heartbeat (which happens to be VERY strong
frown.gif
) and I have to time my shot to go off between beats when the rifle is steady.

Small steps...

i think that the stock pack you are referring to is the Eagle stockpack. If your muzzle is jumping two targets with each shot, you are doing something terribly wrong. When you load up the bipod the outcome if done properly is you will stay on target and the rifle will come straight back. My advice Sign Up for the Online Classes here. you will improve your shooting ten fold.