• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Building a K98

ArcticLight

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2003
Silverdale, WA
So I'm thinking of building a k98 sniper....rather than buy one.

Can anyone give me the differences between the scopes that were used, as well as the mounts?

Re: Building a K98

Arctic Light

Check out www.k98k.com

Robert Spielauer has published an amazing book focussing only on the German scopes adn mounts used between 1914 and 1945.

Most WW2 scopes tended to be x4 with civilian x6 and x8 being donated to/requisitioned by the Reich from around 1943.

Common makers you will see are Zeiss, Hensoldt, Ajack and Dialytan. Ther are usually a few on Ebay and Robert does a great job on servicing these old scopes (as does Ed at Miltech).

Mounts are pretty varied from the three versions of the SSR (SHort Side Rail) to the LSR (Long Side Rail) (I like these as they are QD and also you can still use the irons with them installed).

Various types of turret mounts were also used (normally called Low Turret, High Turret, Single Claw, Double Claw) and also the Swept Back mount for the ZF41.

It's quite a wide and varied subject.....

It has been for a while
frown.gif
but certainly worth keeping an eye on.

I used `The German Sniper 1914-1945` by Peter Senich.

Lots of photos and finer points in the text cover all of the rifles, scopes and mounts used.