• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Building a light tactical rifle questions

g.ross

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2010
Queen Creek AZ
Looking for opinions and experiences on barrel contours on the lighter side. Barrel I have is .670 at the muzzle . GO or NO-GO
- Cold bore shift ?
- POI shift during 10-15 shot strings
- will i have to thread muzzle 1/2 or 5/8

Thanks

If its a standard 24 or 26 inch barrel cut that beast down to 16"-18" you'll have a lighter gun over all and more than likely enough "meat" left to thread it properly...there is a reason we don't thread 30 caliber barrels in 1/2 x 28...threading a small caliber barrel in 5/8 x 24 is much more forgiving on the firing line...

If you are worried about POI shifts during 10-15 round strings, I would say NO GO for 26" w/ a 0.670 muzzle diameter. That sucker will whip around too much after 4-5 rds. Sounds like a good light hunter, but not a tactical rig.

thank that was my thoughts, what contour would be a sufficient debating cartridge also which 6mm will run in a shorter barrel say 23-24"

thank that was my thoughts, what contour would be a sufficient debating cartridge also which 6mm will run in a shorter barrel say 23-24"

Quite a few people run 243AI in 18-22" barrels...I've got a 26" I'd cut down but its fluted so I'll leave it alone...what kind of rifle are we talking about?

A rifle thats handy enough that if you can to shoot off hand ,kneeling ,and sitting and still shoot off barricades and prone and not be to light that the recoil pushes you of target for fast follow ups. Basically a well balanced rifle for matches of that nature.Most post I have read in the "Perfect PRS rifle" seem to me like a little on the heavy side. Just trying to decide on a barrel contour that balances the rifle out.

Last edited:
I'd go #4 Bartlein or Light Palma, should be plenty "meaty" in 6mm, perhaps Frank can chime in.

I'd say bartlein in a #4(.750 at muzzle) at min and more like #13(.830 at muzzle) which would be sendero contour and I say 24" in a 6mm. Just my .03

I have a 19" bartlein in 6.5 CM with a fulted PSS Sendero/varmit countour in a manners T5. I love to the weight and the balance. The DMR on top of it hurts me weight wise but I like the speed it gives me. It is going to gap ina day or two for a 24"er same profile for better ballistics when needed. I have shot a 900 yd target 20 times fast with no real POI change BBL was scourcing afterwards. I have tested it once or twice. My 28" MTU is going along side it for the ame BBL in 260. I used to use heavy bbls and still have a few M24/M40 contours but no longer will Ibe going that route.

Thanks guys like to hear about experiences like yours AdamB . What to hear some more there's so many contours . Palma , varmint , sendero and then you have broughtons 7.1,7.7, so on and so on .

To me personally I like the weight of a little heavier barrel espically in the bigger calibers. I have been hiking on mule deer hunts is some pretty extreme stuff and thats where a good pack comes in. I like to stay around a sendero contour or standard palma contour in kreiger barrels which is like a .820 or so at the muzzle. Here is my coyote rig in a Manners T2 with mini chasis. It has a kreiger standard palma at 24 inches chambered in a .243. Prolly around the 12 lb mark I would think.

Attachments

• Manners.jpg
    Manners.jpg
    480.1 KB · Views: 11
I have a 21" 6.5x47 in a Remington Varmint contour... it is something like 0.87 at the muzzle. Nice weight, no POI shift from long strings.

20-22 inch sendero tube, 6cm in a light stock with a light scope. Put a JEC muzzle brake or similar and you are off to the races.

R

Looks like all my pieces are coming together,

Big horn action TL2 AW - In the mail
Mcmillan HTG/M40 ADJ - In the mail soon
PTG bottom metal
JEC brake- ordered
Jewel or Timney- have them
Barrel ?
Cal 6mm 6x47,6 creed,6BR not sure
Gun plumber ? Beanland , Dana English not sure