• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Building a load from non preferred components

AR-180

Private
Minuteman
Sep 28, 2006
The Triangle, NC
During a shortage, a shooter can wind up unprepared. Or, occasionally, components we don’t typically use can fall into our laps.

I’ve experienced both. What are we to do with these new supplies? Obviously, we should use them or pay them forward.

I had wound up with several pounds of AA2495 and some 85 grain RDFs. The quest was on to build a 223 bolt gun load.

I use 4895 type powders frequently with heavy bullets in 223 for mid and long range shooting. The results have been really good.

The first step was to consult paper and online manuals. I found some data for AA2495 and the 90 grain SMK. That would get me started.

The book max is 20.6 grains. I loaded some initial rounds under that and built a ladder.

image.jpg

From there, it was clear in my gun, I could go higher. I loaded more sighters with the top charge of the ladder. They shot into half moa or better groups. Another ladder was loaded and fired.

IMG_9104.jpeg

image.jpg

I definitely like what I’m seeing. I’m over book max by quite a lot and did begin to see pressure signs on the primer of the top charge.

I plan to load some rounds at 23.5 grains, and I expect that to be my load with this combination in this rifle.