• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Building a LR elk rifle, which 30 cal?

762 ULTRAMAGA

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2018
Idaho
Yes I know this has been beaten to death but here's my delima.
I'm about to build a Light weight LR elk rifle to shoot the new 212 LRX bore rider and am turn between the 300 PRC, custom throated 30 nos, or 300 Norma mag.

The barrel will be 24-26" for a suppressor
i plan on using a lone peak razor action, and could go standard or Lapua with only a few ounces difference.
im liking the Norma for the Lapua brass but it's probably more than I need for 200-212 grain bullets, plus I'd like 1000-1500 rounds from the barrel, not sure it'll even make 1000..
The PRC is the most efficient but I'm not sure I'll be able to run the 212 at my desired 3050-3100 range..
any advice would be awesome

Agree with 264. If it’s gonna be lightweight, 300WM

Reactions: Soulezoo
None of those with 24 inch barrels will get you there. You could probably do it with 26 tubes loaded on the hot end.

I've found in my 26 and 27 inch 300 PRCs shooting 215s that 3010-3035 is about it with RL26 before you start getting into pressure. The Norma with Rerumbo at the pressure mark in 27" tube was 3050 with the 215s.

Your going to have issues getting those velocities out of any of those cartridges in a 24 inch barrel though. 28 inch tube will get you there.

What distances are you trying to hunt at and why the 3050-3100 requirement? Just curious.

For what its worth... I just build a 22" 300PRC elk gun on a Lone Peak Razor TI. I am getting just slightly over 2900 with RL26 and 215 bergers without any pressure. With a TBAC can. Should hammer elk through 1000 which is what I cap my hunting yardage to on a perfect day without conditions. 600 if its crap out. Anything in that 2900-3000 fps range with these high BC pills will hammer anything at a responable hunting distance.

I think a longer barrel is what your going to need. Look at the Sherman Mag also as it's getting some traction on LR hunting sites.

Whats the weight on the 22"? Thinking about something simliar with a Proof carbon barrel and a TBAC338, but concerned it might be too light.

Whats the weight on the 22"? Thinking about something simliar with a Proof carbon barrel and a TBAC338, but concerned it might be too light.

I have to weigh it when I'm back at the house. Think it's right at 7 lbs. Proof carbon barrel. EH1A manners with limbsaver pad. With the TBAC bipod, ultra 7 can. Minox ZP5 3-15 and rings, it's right at 12lbs with everything and with the magazine.

I've got a 7.5 lb Norma, it's a hoot!
How's the recoil and what are your specs?
None of those with 24 inch barrels will get you there. You could probably do it with 26 tubes loaded on the hot end.

I've found in my 26 and 27 inch 300 PRCs shooting 215s that 3010-3035 is about it with RL26 before you start getting into pressure. The Norma with Rerumbo at the pressure mark in 27" tube was 3050 with the 215s.

Your going to have issues getting those velocities out of any of those cartridges in a 24 inch barrel though. 28 inch tube will get you there.

What distances are you trying to hunt at and why the 3050-3100 requirement? Just curious.
Yeah I hear you on barrel length, I'm talking about a monolithic bore rider though and they're know to run approx 100 fps faster than a traditional jacketed bullet.
I'm wanting to hit 3050 to maintain energy and minimum expansion velocity to 1100 yards, I guess looking at the ballistics 3000 would get me there

Reactions: MOUNTIC
How's the recoil and what are your specs?

It's a Lone Peak Ti , 28" Proof with Mcmillan edge fill stock . 230 Hybrids at 3010 FPS with Lapua brass and N570. I didn't think recoil was excessive with the T3 brake, but the stock didn't agree with my assessment. Edge fill stocks are only rated to 300 WM and mine broke in the recoil lug area.

I'm currently in the middle of putting it in a little heavier McMillan A3 stock that should be hold up better. EH-1 would also be a good choice.

I just had this one built, just started load development. Plan on using 210gr LRAB

Altus Shooting Solutions
300 Norma
Defiance Deviant Hunter Nitrate
Proof Sendero 26" 1-9
Piercision Titanium 5 port brake 3/4-24
Sunny Hill Rigby BDL aluminum bottom metal
Huber 2 stage 2#
Manners Elite carbon MCS-T
Nightforce ATACR 4-16x42 Mil-R
APA Truloc .856" rings
Weights 9lbs 11oz w/optic
Altus 300 norma.jpg

When I read the title, I immediately thought WSM or PRC but then I see the 24" bbl and desired MVs and I'm not so sure.

I know that you appear to be set on a 30 cal
maybe consider a 6.5 or 7mm SAUM. It will do more than enough for elk and definitely long range

I know that you appear to be set on a 30 cal
maybe consider a 6.5 or 7mm SAUM. It will do more than enough for elk and definitely long range
I have a 6.5 saum, killed 4 bulls with it, the two at long range were very underwhelming to say the least.
I hunt elk to 1100 and want to use the 212 lrx

Will the LRX reliably expand at that range? Might need to look at a different bullet.
It'll expand down to 1500, they recommend 1600 for optimal expansion diameter that's 300 fps less than a Berger needs.
That puts optimal expansion beyond 1200 yards at 4000' with a 3000 fps mv.

Stop messing around and just build a light weight 33xc. Only 5.0 mils of elevation required at 1000 yards with a 300 grain berger.

Reactions: BCX
Stop messing around and just build a light weight 33xc. Only 5.0 mils of elevation required at 1000 yards with a 300 grain berger.
I had an 8 lb 338 NM and it was a freaking handful to shoot.
A beast no doubt but it doesn't do me much good if I can't shoot it well..
It was pretty ridiculous I was actually getting a headache and neck pain after shooting the damn thing.

I had an 8 lb 338 NM and it was a freaking handful to shoot.
A beast no doubt but it doesn't do me much good if I can't shoot it well..
It was pretty ridiculous I was actually getting a headache and neck pain after shooting the damn thing.
A TBAC brake with a 338 ultra over it cures that issue in a hurry. But then that's just adding more weight. At that point, you have to hire a gun bitch to carry your rig for you! ?

Get a 30’06 and quit with all the caliber chasing brokeback mtn fantasy crap.

If you cant do it with an ‘06 hunting the lower 48, it doesnt need done.

Pot stirred ?

^^^This. Maybe I am just getting older and cranky but the thought of having to carry a heavy rifle while humping up and down mountains at altitude does not sound appealing. In the mid eighties we were hunting the west slope not far from Wolcott above 10,000'. First day out I was carrying a very accurate 700 BDL in 7mm Rem Mag. Great rifle but was heavy and after a day of humping up and down the mountain I had enough. One of the guys in our group had earlier mentioned he would like to buy it. Sold it to him on the spot when I got back to camp. Hunted the rest of the trip with a Belgian BLR in 308 which was a hair over 6lbs. That rifle has harvested more deer and elk and than other rifle I own.

It all comes down to what you think you need before a hunt and then once on the hunt realize what works
i also humped at up to 10,500 ft elevation in New Mexico for elk camped at 9500’
first day brought a new pack I bought 2200 cu/in and basically the kitchen sink Including 6 arrows etc traditional bow extra everything even a string
next day , water, food and a small badlands pack 1/4 the size 2 arrows
lost 16 pounds in 6 days , one of the best hunts I ever had

did not get an Elk
so experience is the key , not reading what’s cool or best

^^^This. Maybe I am just getting older and cranky but the thought of having to carry a heavy rifle while humping up and down mountains at altitude does not sound appealing. In the mid eighties we were hunting the west slope not far from Wolcott above 10,000'. First day out I was carrying a very accurate 700 BDL in 7mm Rem Mag. Great rifle but was heavy and after a day of humping up and down the mountain I had enough. One of the guys in our group had earlier mentioned he would like to buy it. Sold it to him on the spot when I got back to camp. Hunted the rest of the trip with a Belgian BLR in 308 which was a hair over 6lbs. That rifle has harvested more deer and elk and than other rifle I own.
A 308 is great if you aren't taking 900 yard shots at elk..
I kill 1-2 bulls every year in the mountains
(one usually beyond 700 yards) and I know what sort of performance I'm looking for, it's definitely not a 3006.
Like I said above I'm going with a 30 sherman mag, it'll weigh around 10 lbs scoped.

Have to look up specs on Sherman mag

I shoot LR and ELR competitively and attended the Gunsite XLR class twice so I am no stranger to shooting targets at distances. That being said I am not sure I would feel comfortable taking a shot at an animal beyond 600 yards even though I have hunting rifles easily capable of reaching out to a 1,000. Just my personal preference.

Reactions: MOUNTIC
Zia hunter
Agreed my longest for an elk is 500 to 600 as a stretch
But I’m not building this rifle just never heard of a Sherman

Check out the 300 terminator. It may give you the velocity you want in the 24" barrel, but don't know how many rounds you will get from a barrel. If I recall, I think its essentially a 300 norma improved. Their website says they got 3147fps with a 215 Berger from a 24" barrel.

.300 Norma Improved. You'll get .3 moa with factory Berger ammo during fire forming, have LAPUA brass, which is what Berger uses and then can hand load your once fired IMPROVED brass.

Reactions: BCX
A buddy of mine just built a 300prc, and we went out and put it against my 300wby. The wby was wiping the floor with velocity speed and consistency. That being said I’d look hard at the 30 Nosler, they also make some good off the shelf ammo for it (nice for if you get in a pinch)