• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Building a LTR

KaiserNorton

Sergeant
Minuteman
Greetings. A couple of years back, I bought a XCR Compact Tactical (.308) out of the classifieds here. I discovered that I really liked the platform (short and handy, yet solid and steady). A short time after that I got a smokin hot deal on an LRT in .223. This rifle I topped with a Vx-III LR 4.5x14, and it is possibly the most accurate rifle I own (gives my $3000, Beanland-built 6x47L a run for it anyhow). Definitely a refinement of my "ideal".
So now, I'm in the process of procuring the parts to build an LTR from scratch, because I want one in .260 Remington. Neither the LRT or the XCR CT were offered in that caliber, so I will have to build it. Thus far I have:

Remington 700 SA donor
Brux barrel blank 1-8tw (slightly heavier than Sendero contour)
Jewell trigger (trigger guard safety, no bolt stop)
HS precision LTR stock

I thought I'd maybe see if I could find a .223 LTR take off barrel to have rebored (so I could have the fluted look of the original). Alas, no one seems to have shot theirs out yet. And there's no guarantee it'd be accurate, either.

I'm thinking I'll have SAC install their bolt release, as I think it's a good looking upgrade, as well as needed with the trigger I'm using. Now, if I could just find someone to make those wide flutes for me......

When I bought my XCR, the previous owner had painted the stock in a woodland camo pattern. I'm thinking I'll have the 260 done in desert camo and the 223 in winter camo. Top all three with the same scope and call it good. Thoughts?

The Kaiser

Re: Building a LTR

I wouldn't try to rebore a barrel. Would be cost prehibative and would have no guarentee. I would try to have the fluting matched then try to rebore.

Re: Building a LTR

I know someone that might be able to help you with the fluting.
grin.gif

Regards, Paul

Picture070Large_zps48195017.jpg