• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Building a "new" rifle to hopefully be used in PRS

jb1023

Minuteman
Dec 15, 2011
Colorado
I am still wanting to get into PRS, some of you may recall my inquiries from last year, and was hoping to do so this year but I honestly don't know where the year went. I have hardly been to the range, I have hardly ridden my Harley and I have not fly fished even once. Anyway I have a bunch of thoughts going through my head on a build and figure this can be the thread where they all go and perhaps some of you can comment or make suggestions. First off, I have a Howa 1500 308 that I am wanting to rebarrel into 6.5CM. If I end up doing a rebarrel I would probably use Mark Chanlynn again, he did my 6.5SS and while I have only had it out a few times I am very happy with it. The cost for the barrel (24" med Palma contour), install and installing a break I provide is $715. The other option I am looking at is to buy a new Howa barreled action in 6.5CM #6 contour and then have Mark or somebody thread the barrel and install said break. The barreled action is $450 and $125ish to have the break installed. Obviously the barreled action is a bit cheaper and would be ready to shoot in a week or so vs 2-4 months if Mark does it. I don't expect the Howa barrel to be nearly as good as one from Mark but if this is my first PRS gun I anticipate a lot of practice so maybe I don't need it to be? Regardless of which I choose I will be reusing my B&C stock.

One of the reasons I chose the 6.5CM is I want factory available ammo even though I do all my own reloading, I already have a wildcat with the 6.5SS. Another reason is that I have 5-600 308 cases, mostly Fed and LC LR, that I can apparently resize to defer some of the initial costs associated with bringing in a new cartridge. From what I have seen it is a pretty simple matter of trimming down a bit, running the 308 through the 6.5CM FS die and then turning the neck. If that is true then it will be so much easier than forming brass for my SS. Any thoughts on this would be especially helpful.

One other issue, I am going to be buying a new scope and it will either be the Vortex HS-T 6-24x50 or 4-16x44. Which power would be better for PRS? The only reason I am not sure is because while 24x is obviously better it also adds about 2" to the length of the scope as well as needing a higher cheek rest. I have a Vortex Diamondback 4-12 but have only taken it out to 544 yds so not sure if the 16x is really enough. I believe, not sure here, that the local matches can go to 1300 yds. Maybe some of you in the Ft Caron PPLRS can confirm or correct me on that. I have the 6-24x50 HS-T on my SS.

Why not leave the Howa how it is and shoot in the tactical division? Get the glass and go shooting, then decide of you want to rebarrel / upgrade later.

I am a fan of the Howa rifles. Do you have a chassis or quality stock for the rifle already, or is that going to be an additional cost? If so, you may want to consider the Howa Chassis Rifle.
There is no accuracy guarantee. Your gunsmith, on the other hand, would likely make it right if your barrel did not shoot for some odd reason.
Have you considered the Ruger Precision rifle? It comes with a serviceable break already and is really competition ready out of the box.
It also has the advantage that you can put a new barrel on yourself when it comes time to rebarrel.

In regards to the brass, I think you'll find it more trouble than it is worth. the .308 has more taper, you'll need to shorten it and you're going to end up neck turning etc...
There are enough companies loading Creedmoor that you should have no problem sourcing brass.

https://www.diamondkbrass.com/6.5-Creedmoor-25.html

I don't know much about anything, but I will say this:

If you are planning to compete in a particular class, you should have ALL the rules and regulations for that class in hand, prior to un-holstering your credit card.

Just like building a race car, you can spend a metric shit-ton of money on a really great car that cannot be used in the class you were hoping to compete in, putting you up against seasoned, bad mo-fo's who will eat your lunch.

just food for thought.

(If there's a "stock class" maybe try getting your feet wet there before jumping into the deep end... with the sharks...)

Shoot first, with what you have. After 5 matches you will know much more clearly what you want to buy.

The Ft Carson match usually shoots out to just past 1k, but they are always changing it. This is only 1 part of the match though. Most of it is inside 600y and has lots of positional challenges. I would also recommend you come out and shoot the Ft Carson match as well as the Hoser's Pueblo match with whatever you currently have. People will let also you play with their gear if you're interested, always a bunch of good people.

For a scope, buy a FFP scope in 5-25x or 6-24x power. While you can very easily use a 3-15x scope in PRS type matches, most guys run a 5-25 regardless of the actual power they shoot at. If you are buying to eventually play the PRS game, do not buy a second focal plane scope!!! If you like Vortex, get the PST. I also think the Burris XTR II is a solid scope for the money. There are some good options available for you.

Having Mark build a 6.5 Creedmoor is a great idea. Go 26" on the barrel, especially if you are buying factory ammo. Also get a Little Bastard muzzle brake! Mark is the man and builds great rifles/barrels.

Don't mess around resizing 308 into 6.5 Creed. It is not worth the time and effort. But once fired 6.5 Creed brass. There is a ton of it out there for cheap. If you want PM me, I have hundreds of pieces for you (Prime or Hornady).

You can PM me here if you want some more help.

Or just buy that awesome .260 that delfuego has for sale in the PX for a killer price.

The Ft Carson match usually shoots out to just past 1k, but they are always changing it. This is only 1 part of the match though. Most of it is inside 600y and has lots of positional challenges. I would also recommend you come out and shoot the Ft Carson match as well as the Hoser's Pueblo match with whatever you currently have. People will let also you play with their gear if you're interested, always a bunch of good people.

For a scope, buy a FFP scope in 5-25x or 6-24x power. While you can very easily use a 3-15x scope in PRS type matches, most guys run a 5-25 regardless of the actual power they shoot at. If you are buying to eventually play the PRS game, do not buy a second focal plane scope!!! If you like Vortex, get the PST. I also think the Burris XTR II is a solid scope for the money. There are some good options available for you.

Having Mark build a 6.5 Creedmoor is a great idea. Go 26" on the barrel, especially if you are buying factory ammo. Also get a Little Bastard muzzle brake! Mark is the man and builds great rifles/barrels.

Don't mess around resizing 308 into 6.5 Creed. It is not worth the time and effort. But once fired 6.5 Creed brass. There is a ton of it out there for cheap. If you want PM me, I have hundreds of pieces for you (Prime or Hornady).

You can PM me here if you want some more help.

I went to 2 FC matches earlier this year, just to observe, I've not been to the Pueblo match but I will look it up. The FC match looks like a great bunch of folks and both times the CoF was different and both seemed challenging, to say the least.

I will see what I can find for a FFP, I know it will add $2-300 but I'll make it work. Checking the classifieds as we speak.

Will definitely PM you on brass when I get a bit closer. I really appreciate it.

Jeff

I'm not 100% sure. It's more of an homage to Fight Club. Meaning; no more spectating. Shoot it. no matter the outcome. Everyone tanks in their first match (me included), but you will learn so much more participating in one match than training for months or spectating in 10 matches. Reach out to Ryan, he will be able to give you the low-down.