• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

building a new rifle.

jr1000

Private
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2010
alabama, marshall co.
I need to know what match grade barrel i need. Im building a 300 win mag. Rem. 700 action. Im thinking of a 30" stainless barrel. What twist rate do i need?. I will be shooting 180gr to a 200+gr bullet. Any ideas on what powder to start with on reloading. h1000? Ive been out of shooting for a good while, and im having to relearn all the stuff. lol

Re: building a new rifle.

1:10 twist on the barrel will handle the bigger bullets. bullet selection, 185gr begers/scenars, 190gr smk/berger/scenars, 210 bergers/smk, 208 amaxs those are getting used a lot. I have a 300wsm with a 1:10 and shoot the 185s out of it, and it works great.

Powders for those two I use vihtavouri.

Thanks. I appreciate the info. I was thinking of getting a longer barrel also. 30" to 32". A shooter at the local range said i could get a few more fps out of it.

Unless your really reaching out there or burning a slow powder the 30 plus length may be a bit much. 26, 28, will be easier to find a load for.

I'd go 1-10" twist with a 26" barrel.

Always think of total rifle balance when picking a longer barrel length.

Im thinking of a 1000yd+ rifle. I can add weight to the back of the stock if need be. That will help balance the rifle. Weight is not a issue with me. Is the jewell trigger worth the extra money vs. some of the others? Im seeing prices from $100 to close to $300. I would like to have something about 1 1/2 to 2 lbs.

there is nothing like the jewel. They might not be meant to be drug through the mud and what not, but they are the gold standard for trigger feel