• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Building a Precision .22 before buying a “big” rifle?

FFSecue

Private
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2018
Northern Ohio
Hey guys first post long time browser,

Been thinking about putting together a precision .22 and shooting that for a bit before getting into something like a 6,.260 and dropping money.

Anyone else take this route? Worth the cost?

I was thinking CZ for the bolt rifle and trying to get the same optic I would use on the future rifle.

Thanks

Reactions: honuswagner
I would buy a rifle you want to play with, then sell it and buy another to play with and repeat until you know what you like and dont like. Then spend the big money. And you can never have too many .22s

Are you planning on playing 22 precision games with the CZ (ie fo you need a repeater)? If not pick up a used Anschutz match rifle- it will hold its value and give you great feedback for every pull of the trigger....

Ummm anschutz match rifles are bolt actions (64 series) are the cheap ones usually junior / budget rifles, 54 series are the Olympic grade ones there are some repeaters and biathlon guns but to keep it simple... here are 2 of mine 1407 and 1807 (54 actions)
1422117351_zpscd9b9705.jpg

Used 54 based March rifles - A deal at 6something (see one at this price every year or two) to 1200+ish used depending on which stock, what accessories, and if it comes with Irons. The 2 stage trigger is the gold standard that other triggers are compared to.... a new annie is 3500ish. These are relatively plug and play high end competition rifles - blieker and grunning and elmiger "might" be better for you (twice the cost) if you were going to the next Olympics but there are a lot (relatively) of used anschutz out there targettalk.com and gunbroker are both good places to look

There was a used Anschutz MPR in the classifieds last week.
I have a model 64 Weatherby/Anschutz and would highly recommend anything they make.

That is a 64 based repeater action, you will pay a premium for the repeater feature but it will have a lesser quality trigger and won't be as accurate, hence my question on did he need a repeater/ was he wanting to play nrl22 type games.

http://www.champchoice.com/store/Main.aspx?p=ItemDetailOptions&item=009969 isn't an unreasonable price for same features as above but I know of a used 54 match single shot that sold for half of that last week...

I have a CZ in 22 and can highly recommend them as a starter

@nesikabay I appreciate the offer but no, that one helped pay my way through college with a NCAA division 1 scholarship, I am kind attached to it sentimentally. Place a WTB on target talk- 1807's and 1907's show up there regularly...

Hey guys first post long time browser,

Been thinking about putting together a precision .22 and shooting that for a bit before getting into something like a 6,.260 and dropping money.

Anyone else take this route? Worth the cost?

I was thinking CZ for the bolt rifle and trying to get the same optic I would use on the future rifle.

Thanks

FFsecue,
A CZ 455 Varmint is a great start. I have 2, one each in 22LR, and 17HMR. Both shoot great. All I did was replace the trigger spring. You can go with the 455 Varmint Tacticool , or a 455 Varmint Prec. trainer, they are the same barreled action, just different stocks.

Mark

FFsecue,
A CZ 455 Varmint is a great start. I have 2, one each in 22LR, and 17HMR. Both shoot great. All I did was replace the trigger spring. You can go with the 455 Varmint Tacticool , or a 455 Varmint Prec. trainer, they are the same barreled action, just different stocks.

Mark
Thanks for all the reply’s guys, I’m not looking to spend a bunch just get into shooting Lr and practicing the fundamentals. I really like the CZs and that’s what I’ll probably go with.

I have both a CZ 452 (actually 2) and a Tikka T1x, I really like both rifles, but prefer the Tikka.
Not sure on the price difference in the US, but the Tikka has a better factory trigger, better 'snappier' bolt, is looking like it's going to be more accurate and most importantly the bolt lift is a lot less, so you don't have issues with the bolt hitting your scopes eye piece.

I'd also go for a Tikka for the reason that you can set up the T1x exactly as you would want a centerfire and when the time comes to move up, you can switch everything over and the rifle will feel exactly the same.
Only issue you will have is the T1x is in very low numbers in the US and you will likely have to wait until after christmas to get one.

Thanks for all the reply’s guys, I’m not looking to spend a bunch just get into shooting Lr and practicing the fundamentals. I really like the CZs and that’s what I’ll probably go with.

My first thought was that you'd want to spec the full rifle and then mirror it with the 22, but then again, that isn't what I did to train my son- on bolt guns, ARs or handguns. The 22 was a great way to let him rip through shots and get a feel for the fundamentals with out burning through cash, barrels.

Kudos on thinking of glass before the centerfire gun. I went that way too with a nice Premier that migrated from my 22 to centerfire.

To me, the 'gun' is chassis, scope and trigger. Starting out with 22, you can definitely mimic all three (perfectly with a voodoo/40x) or almost perfectly with a CZ455. I'd suggest the 455 to start out. Lot's of stocks out there. Maybe the trigger won't translate perfectly to a R700/CLONE ACTION, but it will be close.

I spend a lot of time shooting my .22 LR, great way to practice the fundamentals with cheap ammo!

I shoot a Savage FV-SR with a Boyd's tacticool stock. I shoot 8x10 steel plates at 200 yds and 308 yds, it's great fun! My ammo of choice is CCI SV. I shoot with a Silencerco Sparrow, the sound is no more than that of a pellet gun so I can shoot from my back yard. Makes it very easy to practice the fundamentals, and to do it very frequently.

Reactions: FFSecue
Well now Cz is offering the 457? Any one knowledgeable about this and the difference between that and the 455?

I spend a lot of time shooting my .22 LR, great way to practice the fundamentals with cheap ammo!

I shoot a Savage FV-SR with a Boyd's tacticool stock. I shoot 8x10 steel plates at 200 yds and 308 yds, it's great fun! My ammo of choice is CCI SV. I shoot with a Silencerco Sparrow, the sound is no more than that of a pellet gun so I can shoot from my back yard. Makes it very easy to practice the fundamentals, and to do it very frequently.

Reactions: rjg
Has anyone tried using the “Savage Mark 2” stainless, as a bolt and barrel setup. I know the synthetic stock isn’t the best. I have 2 of these in other calibers. One is a .17 the other is a 22 mag. I really like shooting them. So I was just wondering about buy one in the .22lr putting a solid chassis underneath it, and trying it for these .22 shoots everyone is talking about. Good, bad thoughts???

Has anyone tried using the “Savage Mark 2” stainless, as a bolt and barrel setup. I know the synthetic stock isn’t the best. I have 2 of these in other calibers. One is a .17 the other is a 22 mag. I really like shooting them. So I was just wondering about buy one in the .22lr putting a solid chassis underneath it, and trying it for these .22 shoots everyone is talking about. Good, bad thoughts???

There's a lot of "if's".

The type of 22 match??? If you are competing against higher grade rifles on paper the outcome might not be as close as you thought going into it....

In a steel match where there is a lot of positional you stand a chance of doing quite well.

The better the ergonomics, pertinent to how well the stock fits you, the triggers feel and weight, the accuracy with X ammo, all combined, is what aids in scoring higher.

Personally I'd rather get "at least" a CZ to customize, it's a decent foundation to build off of.

But then there's that new Tikka 1x!

Of course you might win the lottery and get a s brand that shoots sub moa??!!
There's a guy on another forum trying to compete with his s brand in a postal match, poor guy, I feel sorry for him, his shoots horrible.
Last Wednesday a friend showed up with a s brand 17hmr, it was as I expected it to be, decisively unimpressive.

Reactions: Rutter
I'm on the same quest and really looking forward to learning more about the CZ 457 Varmint MTR. They're not yet available here but some of the preliminary reports sure sound promising.

I looked at the Tikka 1X the other day it looked very nice. Going to find one to see how it feels in my hands.

As someone who has thrown down a bunch of money on centerfire rifles (finally made a good decision and bought an AI two months ago), I think this is a great idea.

Perhaps I am carrying coal to Newcastle, but having two rifles with very similar ergonomics, ideally identical, in my experience is not easy. Weight, balance, stock geometry, trigger characteristics,..... The test would be blindfolded you could not tell them apart. I purchased a Vudoo to have a rimfire with magazines having same geometry as my centerfire.

I have a used low round count CZ 455 Varmint already had a DIP Mag Well and Trigger Spring purchase price $330
Glades Tactical Bolt Handle $60
Boyds Pro Varmint Stock $ 150 Shipped ( Home Made Rattle Can Paint Job)
used EGW 20 MOA Rail $25
Pillared and Glass Bedded $8 in Materials
Mueller 8 - 32 Target Dot Scope $235
Vortex Scope Level $25
$833 All in ( Less than a Precision Trainer) and this Rifle Shoots 1/4" at 50 yards
pr1.jpg
pr2.JPG

Reactions: Brfussell